Engage and Vie for Position with multiple opponents

How do Engage and VfP tests work in “Two on One” and “Three on One, etc.” contexts? Is it assumed that the ones ganging up will test as a group using helping, a la mooks? If not, how does this work? How do you determine who is at the advantage?

You pick your target, roll and compare successes. The victor gains advantage. If there’s ever a question you can consult the weapon adv/disad table to determine penalties.

Have you tried the new system? It’s very straight forward.

I thought in 2 on 1 (not mooks) all 3 roll and each of the characters on the “two” side compare their rolls independantly against the “one.” If he beat both of them he gets advantage against them both. If he beat one, he’s at advantage against one of them, and at disadvantage against two.

Haven’t had a chance yet; my book just arrived this past week. :slight_smile:

So, example time:
Larry is attacked by Carlos and Carlita. If Larry picks Carlita as his target, what happens with Carlos? Does Larry just count as “Let 'em Come” when it comes to Carlos? And who is Carlos Engaging/VtP’ing against?

And there is no “weapon adv/disad” table, dammit! :smiley:

That sounds sorta reasonable, but all the text says is “positioning works normally”. I have no idea what that means in the gang-up-on-one-guy context.

The “Two Teams on One” section of R&C has the team of Elves comparing its maneuver roll against both teams of Orcs. I’m gonna assume that you do the same in Fight!, then, unless I hear otherwise.

Positioning works normally means exactly what it says.

Larry is attacked by Carlos and Carlita. Everyone determines advantages normally. Everyone rolls their Speed + Advantages. Whoever has the highest success is positioned at his advantage.

For instance: Larry has a spear, Carlos has a Sword and Carlita has a mace. Both Carlos and Carlita want to engage Larry. Larry gets the advantage for longest weapon. They’re all human so nobody gets the Stride advantage. Everyone rolls their Speed. Larry additionally rolls advantage dice from his spear.

Carlos gets 4 successes, Larry gets 3 successes, Carlita gets 2 successes.

Carlos gets the Advantage over Larry. Larry is at +1 Ob to everything but defensive actions against Carlos.

Larry gets the Advantage over Carlita. Carlita is at +3 Ob to everything but defensive actions against Larry.

You are correct sir. Your VfP/Engage roll counts for attempting to get the Advantage on your target. However it also serves as the roll to beat should anyone else attempt to Engage/VfP with you.

Thor and Chris: Thanks! I think I get it now. I suppose I was assuming it’d be more complicated than that. :slight_smile:

For the sake of discussion Thor, what if Larry has a Mace (short), Carlos has a knife (shortest), and Carlita has a Long Sword (long). Larry wants to Engage with Carlos which normally gives him a +1 advantage for Weapon Length. So that extra die is in his pool now for the roll. But then Carlita wants to Engage Larry, and his weapon length should give him a +1 advantage to do so as well. But since Larry is rolling that extra die against Carlos, there’s no actual weapon length advantage for Carlita vs. Larry. Is this just small potatoes stuff and we assume that the chaos of the total engagement explains it?

Or do you just figure out who’s doing what at the beginning of the exchange and grant the weapon length bonus to only one person. In this case, only Carlos getting the bonus?

Remember that Engage is different from Vie for Position. When you Engage, the longest weapon gets the advantage. In your scenario, that’s Carlita.

When it comes to Vying for Position, you get advantage dice based on who actually has the Advantage. If Carlos has advantage over Larry, he gets the extra dice. If Larry at the same time has advantage over Carlita, I would have him roll those advantage dice separately. They only count against Carlita, not against Carlos.

Chris, you’re presenting a two-on-one against Larry. Larry rolls once. Carlita has the longest weapon and gains that advantage for her roll.

Who thought these names were a good idea?

If things get really hairy – things tend to get more concrete at the table – I’ve used different colored dice to represent specific advantages against specific opponents. Just roll them with Speed but only count their successes where appropriate. It’s just a die or two, so it’s not that difficult to parse.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Haters gonna hate!