Engaging and Disengaging multiple opponents

1. If I’m reading p.461 right, you can only disengage from one opponent at a time, so that if I’m outnumbered 3 to 1, I can only choose to disengage with one of them. So, my question is, what do I roll at the top of the exchange, my disengage at +1D, or I roll twice, once for the disengage and once against my remaining opponents Vie for position?

2. Similarly, let’s say I’m fighting one on one, and on the next exchange another opponent wishes to engage me. What do I roll? My guess is that I have to make two rolls, one to Vie for position and one for the new Engagement. I have to make two rolls since I have to use different tables.

3. I don’t understand the example in the mook rules (p.460). The text says that the mooks use the same positioning and weapons, but in the example it says that two are using Strike (with a weapon, I guess), and the other two are using a push (wich means they are using their hands). Could you explain it, please?

Some answers may be found in this post.

Mooks: they are just adding in Helping dice – is that what you were asking?

There’s a good discussion in that post Irminsul linked. But your short answers are:

1. Your Disengage roll counts against all of your opponents if that’s what you’re trying to do.

2. Just use one roll. If you need to, grab a different die or two if needed for weapon length against the new Engager. Those dice only count against him.

3. You can use them however you’d like. All making the same actions and adding helping dice or splitting up and helping as appropriate. It’s flexible to represent what you want happening in the fiction.

1. Mooks use the same positioning and weapons. What makes them dangerous is that they can use different actions in the exchange. So they all start on the same footing, but during the exchange they can change their relative position based on their actions.

Thanks, Irminsul. I’ve read that thread, but I found the whole Carlitos and Carlita deal a bit confusing. And in fact, it’s sort of confusing, because if you find yourself engaged with opponents with weapons of various lengths, you would have to separate the advantage dice you have in different “sub-pools”. It can get pretty confusing pretty quick, which is why the rules state that the GM should try to pair everyone before you gang up on someone.

Donbaloo’s post cleared all my doubts, except for the last one. Which grew a bit larger. But I’m going to wait until it comes in actual play, because I feel it might me easier to adjudicate on the table.

I thought only one individual in any given “bunch of people versus one” would get the weapon length dice. And Advantage.

I’m a little gun-shy now after the thrashing I took in the Counterstrike thread but there’s no using hiding in the corner, right? :slight_smile:

You should still grant weapon length or Advantage to multiple dudes in one group. If it’s two on one, my vie for position needs to beat both of them to claim advantage over each. I may only get Advantage over one, while the other gets it over me. Or I could be Disadvantged to both!

I view it like this: either I’m correct and I’ve helped somebody and I feel all warm and fuzzy. Or I’m wrong and I’ve learned something. Win-win as they say.

You should still grant weapon length or Advantage to multiple dudes in one group. If it’s two on one, my vie for position needs to beat both of them to claim advantage over each. I may only get Advantage over one, while the other gets it over me. Or I could be Disadvantged to both!

Yikes! Too complicated for me then. I’ll stick to one-on-one duels or Helping rules for more than that. :slight_smile:

It is very simple at the table – nothing complicated at all – but theoretical examples only muddy the waters. Try it out and come back to us with questions and we’ll be happy to sort it out with you.