Example?

Is there any way we can get an actual play example of the general structure of the Infection mechanic? I think this is one of the strongest draws for me and I’d like to be sure it’s doing what I think it’s doing.

Just a high level overview would be cool. More, of course, would be cooler.

Regards,
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

We’re going to post a PDF of an entire maneuver of actual play by the end of the month.*

• Barring acts of chaos and/or complexity

Thor,

Are you anticipating that it’ll detail the relationship of phases and sessions, as well? I knew about the maneuver example, but I’m also very interested in how they tie into the higher level components of Infection.

Thanks!

Regards,
Daniel

I suspect the “relationship between the higher level stuff” may be less complex than you think. A “maneuver” is the most important segment of time in the Infection.

-L

Well, a Maneuver is half a session or a session of play, depending on the rate at which you’re playing. In this case it will be half a session of play. I think it may well answer your questions regarding the relationship between the levels of play (scene, maneuver, phase and campaign).

Also, anything it doesn’t answer will be much easier to place in context with the example under your belt.

For now, let’s just say this: we’ve taken Burning Wheel’s philosophy of Intent and Task and applied it to the entire game.

Individual actions in scenes need an intent, just as in Burning Wheel. Duels of Wits require intent (i.e. statement of purpose) just as in Burning Wheel. Firefights require intent – what are you trying to accomplish through this violence? Death and mayhem are givens and not valid firefight intents. Maneuvers have an intent – you come into each session of play and immediately build a plan for what you want your characters to accomplish in that session of play. Even Phases have an intent.

I think we can make the above very clear once you’ve seen the example.

Wonderful, you two. Thanks a lot!

I think I was envisioning each part as being one level higher than it was, so I thought the Maneuver was one of many segments of a play session. Now that I’ve been corrected, I’ll look forward to the example!

Regards,
Daniel

Not that it’s going to stop me from ordering, as I’m already pretty sold, but are there still plans for an example before the pre-orders are available?

Regards,
Daniel

No. The example will come some time before the book is formally released. Not before preorders.

-L

Thanks, Luke.

Regards,
Daniel