Failing to Disengage

Page 437 reads: “If you fail to Disengage, your opponent places you at his best advantage. Consult the Positioning Advantage and Disadvantage table.”

That’s the table on page 436, which is only used for vying for position. Why does the text refer to this table instead of the Opponent’s Disadvantage by Weapon table on page 431, which determines the disadvantage for the following exchange?

I don’t get this. If I fail to disengage, the positioning test is done; but to get from the Positioning Advantage table (p. 436) to the disadvantage for the exchange proper (p. 431), another positioning test seems necessary. Can somebody help me?

I think the intent is, if you fail to disengage, your opponent engages you as if they had a successful vie for position. Which makes sense, since, technically, those are your only two options between exchanges. That section is just written from the disengager’s point of view.

You’re looking at the wrong chart; the one on 436 is for Vying For Position when you have advantage; you want the one on page 431.

1 Like