Feint vs. Attack

Hello,

On page 109, next to the * note, it tells me that if Feint is played against an Attack, the Feinting player may not attack or defend.

Why does it tell me that? If a player has decided to Feint, he’s Feinting, not attacking or defending. I mean, isn’t it obvious that he isn’t attacking or defending? So, why tell him he can’t?

I ask because I’m sure I’m missing something or reading the rules incorrectly.

Any help?

It’s a slightly confusing way of saying that when you script a feint against an attack, you (the feinter) don’t get to roll any dice, either to knock down the opponents disposition, nor to protect yourself against the opponents attack.

To expand on what Rafial said (if it even needs elaboration):

Defend vs Feint: Defender has no action; Feint trumps it and the Defender doesn’t roll. Ob 0 test for the Feinter; margin of success reduces Defend team’s disposition.

But…

Attack vs Feint: Feinter has no action; Attack trumps it and the Feinter doesn’t roll. Ob 0 test for the Attacker; margin of success reduces Feint team’s disposition.

That’s the risk. Feint can be awesome but, if your Feint comes up against an Attack, you suffer the risk associated with its otherwise-great rewards.

Hey, thanks for the replies. Very Helpful.

Also don’t forget about Feint VS Maneuver. It’s an Ob. 0 independent test so you do damage directly although you may be hampered on the next Action.
So to analyze: Feint is significantly better than attack vs Defend or Maneuver, worse against Feint and a High risk against attack. Attack is the safer option but Feint is much better 2 out of 4.