Flasks of oil, and other weaponized household items

“As the wildfire cleanses and refreshes the Forest so will I channel the Lady of Flame’s grace to cleanse and refresh the world.” - my Fire Druid’s Belief (a tweaked Ulrik)

No doubt this is a Really Bad idea but it is an idea that is likely to be acted upon, nonetheless. Surely this came up in play testing? Inside a Test use it seems relatively straight forward but I don’t see much for affordances in the Conflict rules. Suggestions on handling non-weapon weapons within the Conflict structure? Just treat as ‘unarmed’ and colour as necessary?

See the Create Inflammables entry in the Alchemist​ listing on page 136.

Not exactly “improvised weapon” (maybe that is a power that belongs in a Level for a class not yet published) but I can use that path to serve my own purposes.

Factors are just Duration: Whole Turn, so Ob 3? Say I’m doing this with Beginner’s Luck, does that mean 1/2 Will for the skill rank for determining multiple uses? Or do I have to open the Alchemy before I can get multiple uses?

EDIT: Er, Beginner’s Luck means not having the tools by default. Well that makes it less feasible, certainly.

EDIT2: Oh wait, Factor is Process; Distill (+2Ob). Still “Whole Turn”? I only chose that because Ob 1 of “2 tests” seemed very low, even though “2 tests” seemed more in line description wise (Maneuver effects go over 2 actions).

“The dungeon was on fire, but it wasn’t my fault.”

“The dungeon was on fire, and it was glorious!”

Duration is for Alchemical Processes or Create Elixirs and Salves. Create Inflammables doesn’t have doesn’t have a Duration factor. Creating a weapon is base Ob 3 (it’s the third factor). Ob 4 if you want it to provide +1s to Feint, Ob 5 to provide +1s to Maneuver, Ob 6 to provide +1s to Attack. Oh, and if you’re doing it without tools, it’s +1 Ob…though I would probably be generous and count you as having tools if you have a flask of oil.

If you’re only attempting to make one firebomb, you’ve already got your Ob. If you want more than one, add +1 Ob for Multiple Uses. You get as many additional bombs as your skill rank (so it’s not worth doing unskilled).

Alchemist is a Will based skill, so you would roll half your Will. I suggest getting a lot of help and Tapping your Nature, or waiting until you’ve gotten Mentoring and learned the skill. The twists from failed Alchemist tests for creating inflammables are nasty!

Ah, Purpose, etc. are factor lists! Didn’t realize they were factors because “Factors” wasn’t included in the section title like the first two, that makes it all much clearer. Thanks for the help.

Alchemist is a Will based skill, so you would roll half your Will. I suggest getting a lot of help and Tapping your Nature, or waiting until you’ve gotten Mentoring and learned the skill. The twists from failed Alchemist tests for creating inflammables are nasty!

Huh? What could possibly go wrong???

cough

Now I have memories of my very first D&D session ever that involved me trying to throw some alchemist’s fire at some sort of ooze or pudding monster. I flubbed it and hit a PC instead. Said PC said “Fuck it, if I’m on fire, I’m going to roll around on top of the damn thing.”

There are rules for using torches and lanterns as weapons, and flasks of oil too. They’re in the GM section, no?

Torches and lantern I found, yup. Lantern makes hellva expensive weapon. :wink: Flaming oil is mentioned in Chase only, under Dirty Tricks in Other Weapons. I would offhand assign it maybe +1s for Maneuver (as an area denial weapon) for fighting but not going to be my call.