Four Dwarven Characters (at different levels)

Hello all,

I’m courageously self-promoting again with my own content on Prevail. There is a collection of posts showcasing four dwarven characters imagined at levels 1, 4, and 9. All links below lead to the posts on Prevail. Each level build includes a downloadable character sheet.

These are built using only the existing 1st edition Torchbearer rules.

I wrote a preface to introduce the characters, posted concise descriptions of the builds, and some character biography. I also wrote a conclusion for this collection.

There is no pay-wall for any of this content. This is available for followers and supporters freely. I just want to share my creative work from this endeavor with the community.

Preface (link)

These four dwarven characters are not currently in-play. I do not often play dwarves, and the most frequent cameos are as NPCs with some sort of business to offer PCs. So, I’m inventing the stories completely for Torchbearer. This is somewhat spontaneous as far as projects go; there was not a stretch goal or a character fiction poll result that dictated I should be releasing these. But, following the four elven characters in May, I really felt eager to create the dwarves. In fact, I’ve already begun work on a group of halflings! This is a fun project to undertake.

As before, I’ve had a little money to spend on artists to commission portraits of the characters.

Orlind Jeulmeinger - the stonemason

level 1 | level 4 | level 9

Orlind comes from a known and reputable clan, with eager travels ahead in his life. He sets out to learn about stonemasonry from other cultures and in other places. It includes delving for lost or secret architecture and methods. And, Torchbearer I feel proved a good space for his story. I felt this is a story that would fit within the lore and would extend coverage of the cultural notes for his purpose of journeying and delving. I used opportunities to lean Orlind toward discipleship to divine beings. I feel he is a balanced and capable Dwarf Adventurer.

Arvind Jeulmeinger - the swordsmith

Arvind comes from a known and reputable clan, with eager plans ahead in his life. He sets out to learn about swordsmithing from other cultures and in other places. It includes delving for lost or secret techniques or materials. And, Torchbearer I feel proved a good space for his story. I felt this is a story that would fit within the lore and would extend coverage of the cultural notes for his purpose of journeying and delving. I used opportunities to lean Arvind toward villainous gains. I feel he is a balanced and capable Dwarf Adventurer.

Kip Seamus Kramand - the cook

Kip Seamus comes from a heritage of hospitality, which fits my sentiment about using dwarves as merchants of some sort. He takes his journey to learn from other cultures and gain more renown as a masterful cook. I think this fits Torchbearer, but I felt it would skirt the line of practicality depending on the campaign and play group. If the style lends itself to light-hearted role-play, I think Kip Seamus would work well. I do feel he is balanced, but not aligned closely with the traditional Dwarf Adventurer.

Fin Reagan Durmand - the pilgrim

Fin Reagan is a pilgrim of a certain sort. He is trying to escape his family’s clutches, but also make a place for himself in a new land. As such, I feel he is the best aligned with Torchbearer game play. He need not drive the action and drama of a play group, but instead can serve many support roles. I chose to lean Fin Reagan toward assisting or replacing a Ranger, but any other choices could be made to give a different lean to the build. I feel he is the most balanced, and most easily adjusted for the needs or wants of the campaign or play group. He is a capable Dwarf Adventurer.

Conclusion (link)

I hope everyone enjoys the collection and finds something to discuss from my renderings of these four dwarven characters. I think there are gems of insight for any player or game master.

This is the second project of this type, and I am already planning a third to place halflings on the stage.

I’ll return to review these projects again following the release of Torchbearer 2nd edition.

Having received a humbling and corrective rebuttal on my opining about avenging grudges in Thor’s masterful explanation of dwarven culture and using the descriptor in Torchbearer games, I humbly revise my statements. Check out Thor’s thread here in the category.

I will make my revision to the conclusion post and repent of my misconceptions and wrong-minded discrimination against dwarven culture.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It wasn’t intended as a rebuke but glad you liked it!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.