Gladiator Lifepaths?

Good Morning,

I am currently running a game set in an “ancient world” style setting. One of the characters wishes to be a former gladiator (slave turned free man) and I am having trouble with helping him find appropriate lifepaths in BWG.

I searched the forums, and found http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?3261-Gladiator-Hero-Lifepath-for-Peer-Review but I am unsure how to interpret or use much of that, and I do not have a book which contains the prerequisite “Slave Gladiator”

Also, does anyone have any idea what the trait listed on that lifepath means? “Life and death… the same (ct)” I know its from Conan, but have no idea what the trait does as intended by the author.

I am looking for any advice on building a gladiator lifepath.

Thank you very much,
Mike

1 Like

Good Morning,

I am currently running a game set in an “ancient world” style setting. One of the characters wishes to be a former gladiator (slave turned free man) and I am having trouble with helping him find appropriate lifepaths in BWG.

I searched the forums, and found http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?3261-Gladiator-Hero-Lifepath-for-Peer-Review but I am unsure how to interpret or use much of that, and I do not have a book which contains the prerequisite “Slave Gladiator”

Also, does anyone have any idea what the trait listed on that lifepath means? “Life and death… the same (ct)” I know its from Conan, but have no idea what the trait does as intended by the author.

I am looking for any advice on building a gladiator lifepath.

Thank you very much,
Mike

ct means Character Trait.

Not sure which LP he’s referring to there, although maybe it’s from Classic, given how old the post is?

There’s a half-joking “Black Barbarian” setting in the wiki that essentially makes Conan. You could probably rip out the “Pit Fighter” LP from there.

Well, look at the Servitude and Captive setting. Was he born a slave? Did he get into slavery by being captured?

A soldier who is captured and turned into a gladiator is basically a Professional Soldier LP leading to Captive of War. The Bondman lifepath is also possible, and probably more accurately reflects the setup of gladiator slaves - you’re owned by a specific slaver, who trains you to fight to win him money.

Thank you for the advice gentlemen!

His concept is that he won his freedom by winning a certain number of battles, and now does not want to ever kill again.

I worry though, that many of the servitude and captive lifepaths do not possess any skills that he would have needed to survive to see his freedom. I would expect he would have to have learned to fight to win his freedom. Most of the captive lifepaths seem to provide little or no learning opportunity skill wise for the character’s development. Every experience is a learning experience, and I would think someone who survived slavery by battle would come out hardened and skilled at killing and surviving. Even the bondsman doesn’t allow much opportunity for skill growth.

It seems that the slavery lifepaths may not fit this concept so well as they seem to be a “this experience stopped your skill development” instead of “this experienced honed your skills due to the need to survive”

Any other suggestions?

I will check out the humorous Conan lifepaths as you suggested as well.

Thank you,
Mike

Burning Wheel encourages a more gritty approach to fantasy. Being a slave sucks - it’s that simple. However, if it fits your character, do it. Also, Bondsman gives you access to the Lucky trait, which is always nice.

Before he won his freedom, what was he? Think about leading into that.

If you’ve got 4 lifepaths, you could go: Born [something], Bondsman, Desperate Killer, Duelist

Bondsman -> Desperate Killer adequately represents a gladiator, IMO. Duelist is what he becomes once he’s free - since he knows only killing, that’s what he does with his freedom.

It’s a character with lots of room for growth.

There’s also a Gladiator LP on the wiki, I believe.

Yes there and I think it’s pretty good. There are 3 LPs that I plan on creating/revising: bounty hunter, bodyguard and pit fighter/gladiator.

What’re other people’s views? Do these LPs exist somewhere under another name?

Slave Gladiator is from Burning Sands: Jihad. It’s available on the wiki.

The (ct) next to those traits means that they are character traits, so the trait doesn’t “do” anything aside from being a character trait.

Before you go ahead and try to burn up a new lifepath, check to see if you can adapt an existing one for your purposes. Often with a simple name change (and perhaps a trait or skill change) a new lifepath opens up. :slight_smile:

For your specific concept:
Born Slave
–> Lead to Soldier
Foot Soldier (renamed Slave gladiator. drop Foraging and Firebuilding for Gladiator-wise or Bloodthirsty Crowd-wise!)
Bannerman (renamed Free Gladiator. Powerful, but with all the right skills and traits and a ton of good leads to boot!)

Three lifepaths in, one to go. Pick up bannerman again or use one of the great leads Bannerman/Free Gladiator offers. Make sure the player purchases an appopriate reputation and possibly a relationship with his former owner. (if he is important enough in the situation to merit the expense)

-k

Eh, can’t agree with you there. Foot Soldier has as its required skill Soldiering, which is totally inappropriate for a gladiator. Same for Riding, from Bannerman. I’d be inclined to make a new trait for Free Gladiator or anything of that ilk, a die trait that required you to buy either a Relationship with the person who bought your freedom or a Reputation explaining how you could afford it yourself. Here’s my take on a Roman-style gladiator:

Gladiator (lead to City)
3 years, 5rps, +1P
Skills: 4pts, Appropriate* Weapons, Brawling, Conspicuous, Crowd-wise, Fearsome Beast-wise
Traits: 1pt, Ferroque Necari(ct), an off-brand Broken to the Lash-type die trait that I’m too lazy to write, Sand in my Wounds(dt), Patron(dt)

Sand in my Wounds: -2 Hesitation when testing Steel to keep cool in the face of fear, intimidation, or provocation. However, when the gladiator hesitates while confronted by an enemy (i.e. not from Wonderment or an arrow in the back, but any time a hostile character is within a few yards), he must choose to fall prone and beg for mercy. (I’m not happy with this name, though).
Patron: Grants a 1d reputation as a freed gladiator if a 1d or higher relationship is purchased with the patron who freed you.

*Be very strict about this. Decide what weapon combinations are used in your setting, and stick to them. Historically, this means you could learn Spear, or Sword and Shield Training, but never both.

1 Like

Personally, I still like the Bondsman --> Desperate Killer route. I think it more adequately reflects what gladiators were really like.

Maybe you could borrow from the Roden lifepaths? IIRC, they have a fairly human-ish progression.

Depends on the gladiators. Rome’s attitudes were complicated. Most were not just slaves but criminals, but some were slaves by choice because they wanted to be gladiators. Despite their infamy, some were beloved by audiences and showered with acclaim and money. Some even endorsed products!

But yes, Desperate Killer covers most of it. And anyone else going in would logically have some other form of martial training first, because you’d have to be insane to go into the Coliseum as a raw newbie by choice.

If that’s the case, I’d say Duelist would adequately cover the “in it for the fame” type of gladiator. Or if they were criminals, then Thug, Bandit, or Freebooter could all be viable choices as well.

I thought Bannerman had Conspicuous as its required skill? If Riding isn’t required and it doesn’t fit your concept, just don’t take it. You could also ask your GM if you could rename Soldiering and have it apply to the day-to-day life of a gladiator, rather than a soldier.

You’re right, Bannerman has Conspicuous as its required skill. And it has Honored as a required trait. Which really means you could conceivably be a celebrated veteran gladiator - a crowd favorite.

All you really have to do is play fast and loose with the idea of “Professional Soldier.” Actually, it’s not even really that fast and loose if you’re set in Rome - there were instances of gladiators appearing as actual military forces, there were officially sanctioned gladiatorial schools that were often overseen by the military, and gladiators would win respect and admiration that rivaled military officers.

So really, I think “Professional Soldier” is quite an appropriate sub-setting for a gladiator.