Groups and Range and Cover

Am reading (and have recently played) an encounter with Range and Cover. It was a group of 4 PCs vs 3 Orcs. The rules are clear but seem to make the best sense if 1 on 1. Given more numbers, do the two sides then become grouped to be a 1 on 1 fight? If so, are the best stats or worse stats used for starting tests? If the PCs or orcs were not all together, how is range handled?

It also seems not having a bow is truly a huge disadvantage as its a lot of dice…

Just for fun, if there were 3 groups all hunting one another how is that handled? Example, the elfs are hunting the orcs but evading the humans while the humans and orcs are hunting one another…

Hi Jayhad,
Just to be clear, you’ve read page 421, right? It seems to answer most of your questions.

-L

The example in the OP is from our game this past Saturday. Only a couple of us have BWG, so there was a bit of confusion. That, and I’d never run R&C before. :slight_smile:

The gist is that we had one PC with no missile weapons, and thebbest we could figure on the fly was that the wasn’t really anything for him to do. If he closed, then the R&C would end, but we’d stil have the other PCs at range with bows. He pretty much sat out the fight.

What did we do wrong?

Thanks Luke. I have read it and it makes more sense.

That is right it was from our session and it seems in Range and Cover, without a bow, someone is really toast. I guess the bow-less ones need to charge and turn things to Fight! but the bow with their 2 or 3d make it hard for the bow-less ones to close.

Yes, the guy with the bow has an advantage over the guy without a missile weapon. This is by design. :wink:

That’s why you don’t bring a knife to a bow fight.