Help me make a Star Wars hack!

What do you guys think of this?

I thought long about what you folks said about removing Fear as an instinct. It’s still something I am not entirely sure about, but I think I like the way I handled it.

I see Fear as something that, being so integral to a character in Star Wars, should be written on a character sheet, and should be interacted with according to the standard style of play. A Fear is something that a force-user might not even be aware of. If they are, it seems like good practice and good play to write a belief that is counter to that fear, about overcoming it. This is where I see amazing drama, bursting at the seams. This is why I left it as an instinct.

Guess I will see what you guys think…

Fear is the first step on the path to the Dark side
Choose a category from below and write a 4th, special instinct. Your character may fear all three categories, but try to determine what reallyterrifies them; something subconscious that paralyzes them with fear. Determine the true cause of it.

Each category is given three examples.

Loss
[ul]
[li]“I fear the loss of my brother”[/li][li]“I fear the loss of my home”[/li][li]“I fear the loss of my power”[/li][/ul]

Failure

[ul]
[li]“I fear failure in the eyes of the Council”[/li][li]“I fear failing to become a Jedi Knight”[/li][li]“I fear failing my friends”[/li][/ul]

Annihilation (Don’t know if I love this word for it)

[ul]
[li]“I fear death.”[/li][li]“I fear the extinction of my race”[/li][li]“I fear the dark side”[/li][/ul]

As with all instincts, this may be rewritten in play, likely after some event has fundamentally changed the character…

Fear Leads to Anger
A single Persona point may be spent to tap a character’s Anger. It can be spent on any test where the majority of the group deems the character is acting out of Fear, hatred, or goes directly against the Jedi Code.

Doing so allows the player to add any amount of dice from his Anger exponent to an ability test. For the purposes of advancement for the augmented ability, the dice act like a Persona point spent on the test.

Anger Leads to Hate
Fear can make a force-user lash out using their Anger. When something triggers a character’s Fear—Threatening their loved ones, their ego, their life, etc.—, and the player wishes to act counter to his Fear instinct, the GM (or player themselves) can call for a Steel test. If the Anger exponent is higher than the character’s hesitation, use that as the obstacle for the Steel test instead of the character’s hesitation. If the test is passed, the character remains balanced with the force, and restrains their feelings.

The test may be voluntarily failed. In this case, the character hesitates for a number of actions equal to his Anger exponent.

If the Anger Leads to Hate test is failed, Anger advances immediately. The player chooses one of two reactions: Either Fall Prone and Beg for Mercy (“No. That’s not true! That’s Impossible!”) or spend a deeds point to invoke the Hate Leads to Suffering rule (“Never!”).

Hate Leads to Suffering: Rage

This new reaction requires a deeds point to be spent in order to invoke it. The force user flies in to a bloody rage. They must attempt to destroy everything that is causing them their pain. Strike them down with all of your hatred! They must choose the most violent and destructive of options available to them. During this time, and until the scene is over (or they are killed), the force user must add their full Anger dice to every physical test—Including Lightsaber—that they make. This does not cost them extra artha, however they may use artha as per usual.

Additional successes from attacking with a weapon must be spent to increase the damage as much as possible before any successes may be spent elsewhere, such as aiming, or otherwise.

He may not make any test that would require concentration, and he may not test any social skill, even intimidation. His goal is only to kill his enemies. Any social skill used against him at this time is at an additional obstacle equal to his Anger exponent.

In either case, whether the character Falls Prone or flies into a Rage, the cause of the failed test becomes the focus of their attention—always lingering somewhere in the back of their mind.

Beliefs and Anger
Beliefs can mitigate Fear. If a character has a Belief that directly contradicts a situation in which the character’s fear is realized, and the Anger Leads to Hate test is called for, Hesitation is reduced by one.

[SIZE=2]I thought about what Shaun had said about streamlining.

I have organized the Force powers in to one universal ability, The Force.

A friend pointed out that this way, all force users have the exact same abilities. He suggested that various -wises and traits can mitigate this and make each force user unique. Any thoughts on this?

Use the Force![/SIZE]

The Force is an open-ended skill. It is only available to someone with the Force Sensitive trait. It advances as a Skill does and requires two skill points to open. The Force is rooted in Will and can be learned using Beginner’s Luck as normal. Will is open-ended during Beginner’s Luck with Force

The Force may Help and FoRK into relevant ability tests. However, If The Force Helps or FoRKs, failure may be more dangerous than when The Force is not used in a test.

For example, Toma’s companions are trying to convince the captain to allow “special goods” on to the ship to be transported with them. Normally, failure may mean the captain refuses their passage or their “goods” are rifled through. If Toma were to offer a helping die from her Force skill, failure may then change to something along the lines of the captain knowing of the Jedi ability, and calling them out for trying to trick him. Or perhaps Toma’s Sith nemesis senses her when she uses it, discovering their location.

Concentrate. Feel the Force flow!
Using The Force requires concentration, as per the rules for Sustained Spells (BWG, Page 508).

If a character has a hand free while using The Force, they receive a +1D advantage.
[b]

Kinesis[/b]

A character with The Force may move objects or even people with their mind.

Force Lift
Moving and throwing small objects the size of a “Palm-sized Rock”, “Throwing Knife”, etc.—such as an unactivated lightsaber—or lighter with one’s mind is a base Ob2.
Objects the size of a “Large Rock or Brick” —such as a blaster pistol or rifle— is a base Ob3.

Objects larger or weightier than these increase the obstacle based on GM discretion. For example, slowly lifting an X-wing from a swamp would probably be Ob7. A young padawan might not believe it possible, and that is why they would fail.
Modifiers:

[LIST=|INDENT=1]
[li]+1Ob for objects being thrown or picked up at extreme range.[/li]
[li]+1Ob for each extra similarly sized object.[/li]
[li]+1-2 Ob if the object is stuck in place due to mud, mechanical housings, etc.[/li][/LIST]

Simply moving or throwing a small, unattended object takes 2 actions. Throwing an object first requires immediate access to it. Not having access may increase the time and difficulty.

For example, tearing a large cooling cogitator from its mechanical bedding and hurling it at your son during a lightsaber duel might require a total of 6 actions at Base Ob4, +2Ob for having to rip it out of it’s housing.

When in doubt, ask your GM how many actions it would take during a Fight! or Range & Cover.

Objects used to hurl at your enemies may be thrown as a weapon using The Force instead of Throwing. They may use the Thrown Weapon stats (BWG, Page 558, depending on the object. However, the user’s Power is replaced by their Will when factoring damage.

Throwing larger objects at a person use the “Thrown Against the Wall” rules (BWG, Page 543).

Throwing a Lightsaber while activated and returning it to your hand requires a great deal of skill and concentration, and is a base obstacle of 4.

Call of Iron
Using Kinesis, the character can wrest a weapon from his opponent’s hand. This is treated as Call of Iron (BWG, Page 208), but with any material, not just metal. A trained Jedi or Sith would never let this happen to their lightsaber, however. A Force user may use their own Will —instead of Power— to prevent this from happening.

Force Push/Pull
A character may throw their opponent. This uses the standard rules for Throw Person with +1Ob, but “Bare-fisted” damage is factored using Will when spending additional successes.

A character may Push their opponent by testing Force Kinesis. This uses the standard rules for Push with a +1Ob, except it does not change Weapon Length to Hands when used.

Force Choke
A character may choke their opponent using Force Choke. This uses the rules for Choking Hand (BWG, Page 209).

Force Lightning
One can use Force Kinesis to allow the forbidden sorcery of Force Lightning. This uses the rules for White Fire (BWG, Page 222), except the range is limited to Throwing for the purposes of distance.

Mind Tricks

The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded

These aren’t the droids you’re looking for
A character may attempt to trick someone with a weak mind into changing their opinion about something or convince them of something without question. This is also known by the layman as a Jedi Mind Trick.

Obstacle is equal to the victim’s Will. Add disadvantage if the intent is a tall order.

The victim remains completely unaware of the trickery unless someone snaps them out of it.

What was that noise?
A character may also trick the mind into being aware of something that doesn’t actually exist, allowing a moment to sneak past a sentry or distract someone.

A linked test to Stealthy or Inconspicuous may be made with an obstacle equal to half of the victim’s Will (rounded up). For groups, use the average, plus 1.

Advantage for the following test is granted in a number of dice equal to the margin of success.

Only the weak-minded
Mind tricks will not work on people with a Will of B6 or higher, or a Grey or White-shade Will.

Force Sense

The Force allows an individual to become attuned to their surroundings and potential threats, as well as offering the ability to communicate feelings to other Force-sensitive people over great distances.

Your eyes can deceive you. Do not trust them.
A character may use this Force Power to heighten their awareness of the world around them, even while blind, deafened or otherwise. The Force may be used instead of Observation or Perception tests to know the location of objects, people or danger at +1 Ob. Increase the obstacle based on distance.

Precognition
A character can have an Instinct for precognition—if they so choose—allowing them to test The Force before an ambush or danger happens. This links to Steel for surprise, granting an amount of advantage dice equal to the Margin of Success.

A character may script an Access using The Force to discover their opponent’s choices for the next volley in a Fight!. Obstacle is opponent’s Will exponent.

Turn Aside the Blaster
The Force may be tested to use Turn Aside the Blaster. This uses the standard rules for the spell Turn Aside the Blade (BWG, Page 220), and works on Blaster bolts or other deflectable projectiles. Additional successes may be used to return the blaster bolts to their source. The additional successes must match the sources original obstacle for firing, before Turn Aside the Blaster.

Example: A droid fires at a Jedi who has succeeded in his Turn Aside the Blaster The Force test. The Obstacle before the Turn Aside the Blaster test for the droid to fire upon the Jedi was Ob2, optimal range. The Jedi therefore needs to spend two additional successes from Turn Aside the Blaster to deflect the bolt back at the droid.

Force Reflexes

Someone trained in the Force has the ability to allow themselves preternatural speed.

Impressive!
For all intents and purposes, The Force may be tested instead of Speed or Agility.

If used in a Speed-based or Agility-based beginner’s luck test, advancement counts as a test for Force Reflexes, not the skill being opened.

Get better with a vibro-sword you want, hmm? Don’t always want to test it at double obstacle penalty, do you? Then use the Force as a crutch, you must not!

Most Impressive!
A character may increase their natural Reflexes exponent by 1 for a Fight! by testing the Force at an obstacle equal to their own natural Reflexes, +1.

For example, increasing one’s B5 Reflexes to B6 is Ob6.

The duration of this is equal to a number of exchanges equal to the Force User’s Will.

If I recall, one limitation that is suggested in the Art Magic chapter is that not all the art magic effects are available to everyone; which categories you have available depends on your school.

I could see dividing the Force uses into Basic abilities and Advanced abilities, then dividing the advanced abilities up thematically into school equivalents. Choose a certain number of schools; that and basic are what you have.

Or you could make the number of schools known dependant on the exponent of the Use The Force skill, so increased mastery opens up more powers.

My player suggested using specific Call-on Traits to allow specialization. I found it to be quite a simple solution, but I am curious about what you guys think.

New rules for meditating to remove advancement on Anger:

Fending off the Dark Side
A Jedi may reduce their advancement on their current Anger exponent by Meditating. They may not reduce their exponent ever, only advancement. To remove advancement, test Meditation at Ob 0 with these modifiers. To save on precious time, a Jedi may remove more tests at the cost of a higher Ob. Add all that apply:

+1 Ob for each Routine Anger test
+2 Ob for each Difficult Anger test
+3 Ob for each Challenging Anger test

+1 Ob for having an Anger exponent of 5 or 6
+2 Ob for having an Anger exponent of 7, 8 or 9

Those would be Die Traits, right? And I like the idea of that. Maybe attach specific die traits to specific life paths so you can’t start the game front loaded with every trait. Then you would need to be sure to discuss force powers during the trait vote, which would typically be a good time to develop new powers or forsake those unused or unwarranted. Like for instance, Luke seems to undergo a trait vote between each Episode.

Die Traits would work, but I really love the re-roll/tie system, as well as the (usually) laser-focused subject for Call-ons. I suppose either could be used.

But here are some ideas for Call-on traits:
[ul]
[li]There is No Try: 3 points. Call-on for The Force when using Kinesis to lift extremely large or heavy objects
[/li][li]Probably Just Out-gassing: 2 points. Call-on for The Force when using Mind Tricks to distract
[/li][li]The High Ground: 3 points. Call-on for The Force when using Force Reflexes to jump
[/li][li]I Can Feel Them: 2 points. Call-on for The Force when using Senses to reveal another Force-sensitive’s presence
[/li][/ul]

Edit: I see a problem with my naming conventions. I didn’t really think about it too much, but the trait really has to reflect the character, not the character’s abilities. This is gonna be harder than I thought.

Oh, I see what you’re saying now. I thought what you meant was that without the trait they couldn’t use the power, which would have been a die trait for each category of the force. What you meant was using call-on traits to make them more powerful within specific abilities. Got it!