Help me make a Star Wars hack!

Hi everyone!

I am a long time lurker on these forums. Please forgive me for not introducing myself years ago. I was a scaredy-pants.

But no more!

I’m actually a regular poster on the BW G+ community. If you frequent over there, my name is John Love

Here, I would like to introduce you to a project I have been noodling on: Burning Star Wheel Wars! (Nevermind the name, call it what you will!)

I need your help in fleshing this thing out! Actually, any advice/commentary given would help tremendously.

There are a couple things I want to mention before you read it:

Be advised, we have’t had the chance yet to play-test a good deal of these rules

I am hoping to put the feeling of A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi in to this hack. Therefor, most critique involving things that were not a part of those three movies I am less interested in. Basically, I want mysterious monks of an “ancient religion” and swashbuckling, semi-light-hearted adventure (As far as you can go with Star Wars and Burning Wheel, you know?).

Be gentle! I’m a snail without a shell when it comes to Burning Wheel and Star Wars! I trust you guys not to be mean with your critiques.

A lot of things in brackets () are my own commentary, in case you are wondering.

Without further ado, I hope you like some of it.

THE DARK SIDE

Emotional Attribute: Anger

Fear is the first step on the path to the Dark side
Choose a category from below and write a 4th, special instinct. Your character may fear all three categories, but try to determine what really terrifies them; something subconscious that paralyzes them with fear. Determine the true cause of it.

Each category is given three examples.

Loss

[ul]
“I fear the loss of my brother”
“I fear the loss of my home”
“I fear the loss of my power”
[/ul]

Failure

[LIST=|INDENT=1]
[li]“I fear failure in the eyes of the Council”[/li][li]“I fear failing to become a Jedi Knight”[/li][li]“I fear failing my friends”[/li][/LIST]

Annihilation(Still working on a better name for this)

[ul]
[li]“I fear death.”[/li][li]“I fear the extinction of my race”[/li][li]“I fear the dark side”[/li][/ul]

As with all instincts, this may be rewritten in play, likely after some event has fundamentally changed the character…

Fear Leads to Anger
A single Persona point may be spent to tap a character’s Anger. It can be spent on any test where the majority of the group deems the character is acting out of Fear, hatred, or goes directly against the Jedi Code.

Doing so allows the player to add any amount of dice from his Anger exponent to an ability test. For the purposes of advancement for the augmented ability, the dice act like a Persona point spent on the test.

Anger Leads to Hate
Fear can make a force-user lash out using their Anger. When something triggers a character’s Fear—Threatening their loved ones, their ego, their life, etc.—, and the player wishes to act counter to his Fear instinct, the GM (or player themselves) can call for a Steel test. If the Anger exponent is higher than the character’s hesitation, use that as the obstacle for the Steel test instead of the character’s hesitation. If the test is passed, the character remains balanced with the force, and restrains their feelings.

The test may be voluntarily failed. In this case, the character hesitates for a number of actions equal to his Anger exponent.

If the Anger Leads to Hate test is failed, Anger advances immediately. The player chooses one of two reactions: Either Fall Prone and Beg for Mercy (“No. That’s not true! That’s Impossible!”) or spend a deeds point to invoke the Hate Leads to Suffering rule (“Never!”).

Hate Leads to Suffering: Rage
This new reaction requires a deeds point to be spent in order to invoke it. The force user flies in to a bloody rage. They must attempt to destroy everything that is causing them their pain. Strike them down with all of your hatred! They must choose the most violent and destructive of options available to them. During this time, and until the scene is over (or they are killed), the force user must add their full Anger dice to every physical test—Including Lightsaber—that they make. This does not cost them extra artha, however they may use artha as per usual.

Additional successes from attacking with a weapon must be spent to increase the damage as much as possible before any successes may be spent elsewhere, such as aiming, or otherwise.

He may not make any test that would require concentration, and he may not test any social skill, even intimidation. His goal is only to kill his enemies. Any social skill used against him at this time is at an additional obstacle equal to his Anger exponent.

In either case, whether the character Falls Prone or flies into a Rage, the cause of the failed test becomes the focus of their attention—always lingering somewhere in the back of their mind.

Beliefs and Anger
Beliefs can mitigate Fear. If a character has a Belief that directly contradicts a situation in which the character’s fear is realized, and the Anger Leads to Hate test is called for, Hesitation is reduced by one.

Injury and Anger
Injury does not reduce a character’s Anger attribute.

Anger and Advancement
Tests for advancement of Anger are earned when a player spends a Persona point on Fear Leads to Anger, when the special Steel test is made for Anger Leads to Hate, when Rage is chosen as a steel result, and when situational conditions in the list below are met.

Situational Anger Test Obstacles
The following are examples of anger inducing situations.

[b]Obstacle 1—

Obstacle 2—

Obstacle 3—

Obstacle 4—

Obstacle 5—

Obstacle 6—

Obstacle 7—

Obstacle 8—

Obstacle 9—

Obstacle 10—[/b]

Anger and Routine Tests
Routine tests always count for advancement for Anger. When the attribute is exponent 5 or higher, filling up any two of the three test requirements counts toward advancement.

Any time dice are added from Anger to another ability, it counts as a test for Anger as well as the augmented ability. Compare the dice added to your current Anger exponent. The dice used count as the obstacle of the Anger test for advancement.

The Limits of Anger
Once Anger reaches exponent 10, the Force User goes insane with rage, until they are put out of their misery or die from exhaustion.

Becoming Twisted and Evil
If your Anger exponent ever exceeds your Will exponent, you must immediately make a Meditation test to stave off the Dark Side. If this comes up during a Jedi’s Fear, make the test after the scene is ended. The obstacle is your current Anger exponent, and therefore a challenging test. Better use Artha!

If you succeed, reduce your Anger by one, and erase advancement pips. The Dark Side is forever near, now. You must make this test once more should your Anger exceed your Will again.

If you fail, you have given in to your Anger and hatred; You have fallen to the Dark Side. The only way back is to bring your Will exponent back to equal to or above Anger.

Fending off the Dark Side
A Jedi may reduce their advancement on their current Anger exponent by Meditating. They may not reduce their exponent ever, only advancement. To remove advancement, test Meditation at Ob 0 with these modifiers. To save on precious time, a Jedi may remove more tests at the cost of a higher Ob. Add all that apply:

[ul]
+1 Ob for each Routine Anger test
+2 Ob for each Difficult Anger test

+3 Ob for each Challenging Anger test

[/ul]

[ul]
+1 Ob for having an Anger exponent of 5 or 6
+2 Ob for having an Anger exponent of 7, 8 or 9
[/ul]

Use the Force!

The Force is an open-ended skill. It is only available to someone with the Force Sensitive trait. It advances as a Skill does and requires two skill points to open. The Force is rooted in Will and can be learned using Beginner’s Luck as normal. Will is open-ended during Beginner’s Luck with Force

The Force may Help and FoRK into relevant ability tests. However, If The Force Helps or FoRKs, failure may be more dangerous than when The Force is not used in a test.

For example, Toma’s companions are trying to convince the captain to allow “special goods” on to the ship to be transported with them. Normally, failure may mean the captain refuses their passage or their “goods” are rifled through. If Toma were to offer a helping die from her Force skill, failure may then change to something along the lines of the captain knowing of the Jedi ability, and calling them out for trying to trick him. Or perhaps Toma’s Sith nemesis senses her when she uses it, discovering their location.

Concentrate. Feel the Force flow!
Using The Force requires concentration, as per the rules for Sustained Spells (BWG, Page 508)

If a character has a hand free while using The Force, they receive a +1D advantage.

Kinesis

A character with The Force may move objects or even people with their mind.

Force Lift
Moving and throwing small objects the size of a “Palm-sized Rock”, “Throwing Knife”, etc.—such as an unactivated lightsaber—or lighter with one’s mind is a base Ob2.
Objects the size of a “Large Rock or Brick” —such as a blaster pistol or rifle— is a base Ob3.

Objects larger or weightier than these increase the obstacle based on GM discretion. For example, slowly lifting an X-wing from a swamp would probably be Ob7. A young padawan might not believe it possible, and that is why they would fail.
Modifiers:

[ul]
[li]+1Ob for objects being thrown or picked up at extreme range.[/li][li]+1Ob for each extra similarly sized object.[/li][li]+1-2 Ob if the object is stuck in place due to mud, mechanical housings, etc.[/li][/ul]

Simply moving or throwing a small, unattended object takes 2 actions. Throwing an object first requires immediate access to it. Not having access may increase the time and difficulty.

For example, tearing a large cooling cogitator from its mechanical bedding and hurling it at your son during a lightsaber duel might require a total of 6 actions at Base Ob4, +2Ob for having to rip it out of it’s housing.

When in doubt, ask your GM how many actions it would take during a Fight! or Range & Cover.

Objects used to hurl at your enemies may be thrown as a weapon using The Force instead of Throwing. They may use the Thrown Weapon stats (BWG, Page 558, depending on the object. However, the user’s Power is replaced by their Will when factoring damage.

Throwing larger objects at a person use the “Thrown Against the Wall” rules (BWG, Page 543).

Throwing a Lightsaber while activated and returning it to your hand requires a great deal of skill and concentration, and is a base obstacle of 4.

Call of Iron
Using Kinesis, the character can wrest a weapon from his opponent’s hand. This is treated as Call of Iron (BWG, Page 208), but with any material, not just metal. A trained Jedi or Sith would never let this happen to their lightsaber, however. A Force user may use their own Will —instead of Power— to prevent this from happening.

Force Push/Pull
A character may throw their opponent. This uses the standard rules for Throw Person with +1Ob, but “Bare-fisted” damage is factored using Will when spending additional successes.

A character may Push their opponent by testing Force Kinesis. This uses the standard rules for Push with a +1Ob, except it does not change Weapon Length to Hands when used.

Force Choke
A character may choke their opponent using Force Choke. This uses the rules for Choking Hand (BWG, Page 209).

Force Lightning

One can use Force Kinesis to allow the forbidden sorcery of Force Lightning. This uses the rules for White Fire (BWG, Page 222), except the range is limited to Throwing for the purposes of distance.

Mind Tricks

The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded

These aren’t the droids you’re looking for
A character may attempt to trick someone with a weak mind into changing their opinion about something or convince them of something without question. This is also known by the layman as a Jedi Mind Trick.

Obstacle is equal to the victim’s Will. Add disadvantage if the intent is a tall order.

The victim remains completely unaware of the trickery unless someone snaps them out of it.

What was that noise?
A character may also trick the mind into being aware of something that doesn’t actually exist, allowing a moment to sneak past a sentry or distract someone.

A linked test to Stealthy or Inconspicuous may be made with an obstacle equal to half of the victim’s Will (rounded up). For groups, use the average, plus 1.

Advantage for the following test is granted in a number of dice equal to the margin of success.

Only the weak-minded
Mind tricks will not work on people with a Will of B6 or higher, or a Grey or White-shade Will.

Force Sense

The Force allows an individual to become attuned to their surroundings and potential threats, as well as offering the ability to communicate feelings to other Force-sensitive people over great distances.

Your eyes can deceive you. Do not trust them
A character may use this Force Power to heighten their awareness of the world around them, even while blind, deafened or otherwise. The Force may be used instead of Observation or Perception tests to know the location of objects, people or danger at +1 Ob. Increase the obstacle based on distance.

Precognition
A character can have an Instinct for precognition—if they so choose—allowing them to test The Force before an ambush or danger happens. This links to Steel for surprise, granting an amount of advantage dice equal to the Margin of Success.

A character may script an Access using The Force to discover their opponent’s choices for the next volley in a Fight!. Obstacle is opponent’s Will exponent.

Turn Aside the Blaster
The Force may be tested to use Turn Aside the Blaster. This uses the standard rules for the spell Turn Aside the Blade (BWG, Page 220), and works on Blaster bolts or other deflectable projectiles. Additional successes may be used to return the blaster bolts to their source. The additional successes must match the sources original obstacle for firing, before Turn Aside the Blaster.

Example: A droid fires at a Jedi who has succeeded in his Turn Aside the Blaster The Force test. The Obstacle before the Turn Aside the Blaster test for the droid to fire upon the Jedi was Ob2, optimal range. The Jedi therefore needs to spend two additional successes from Turn Aside the Blaster to deflect the bolt back at the droid.

Force Reflexes

Someone trained in the Force has the ability to allow themselves preternatural speed.

Impressive!
For all intents and purposes, The Force may be tested instead of Speed or Agility.

If used in a Speed-based or Agility-based beginner’s luck test, advancement counts as a test for Force Reflexes, not the skill being opened.

Get better with a vibro-sword you want, hmm? Don’t always want to test it at double obstacle penalty, do you? Then use the Force as a crutch, you must not!

Most Impressive!
A character may increase their natural Reflexes exponent by 1 for a Fight! by testing the Force at an obstacle equal to their own natural Reflexes, +1.

For example, increasing one’s B5 Reflexes to B6 is Ob6.

The duration of this is equal to a number of exchanges equal to the Force User’s Will.

An idea I had to put a feeling of swashbuckling in a game:

A player can spend resource points during character burning to purchase Luck, which is treated as armour. The “armour” may be allocated anywhere, and negates any VA. However, it is treated like run of the mill armour for the purposes of damaged armour. It cannot be repaired. Once it is expended, it is gone forever. The character’s luck has run out!

Blasters & Slugthrowers

|Light Pistol
|
[TABLE=“width: 100%”]
[TR]
[TD]DoF:
|1-4
||
||I: B3
|M: B6
|S: B9
|VA 1
|

|Optimal
|
|Extreme/OOR
|
|2D
|1D
|

Actions: Fire Gun: 2
[/TD]
[TD]Heavy Blaster
|DoF:
|
|1-4
||
||I: B5
|M: B9
|S: B12
|VA 3
|

|Optimal
|
|Extreme/OOR
|
|2D
|3D
|

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Blaster Pistol

|DoF:
|
|1-4
||
||I: B4
|M: B8
|S: B10
|VA 2
|

|Optimal
|
|Extreme/OOR
|
|3D
|1D
|

[/TD]
[TD]
Targeting Rifle/Cycler Rifle

|DoF:
|
|1-4
||
||I: B5
|M: B9
|S: B12
|VA 3
|

|Optimal
|
|Extreme/OOR
|
|2D
|5D
|

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Blaster Rifle

|DoF:
|
|1-4
||
||I: B4
|M: B8
|S: B10
|VA 2
|

|Optimal
|
|Extreme/OOR
|
|2D
|2D
|

[/TD]
[TD]
Blaster Cannon

|DoF:
|
|1-3
|4-5
||
||I: B7
|M: B10
|S: B14
|VA 4
|

|Optimal
|
|Extreme/OOR
|
|1D
|4D
|

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

BLASTERS AND SLUGTHROWERS CONTINUED

|Versus…
|
|Melee
|Light Pistol
|Thrown
|Blaster Pistol
|Blaster Rifle
|Heavy Blaster
|Blaster Cannon
|Targeting Rifle
|
|Light Pistol
|||||||||
|Optimal (2d)
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Extreme (1d)
||EXT
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|OOR (1d)
||||EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Thrown
|||||||||
|Optimal (1d)
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Extreme (1d)
||EXT
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|OOR (1d)
||||EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Blaster Pistol
|||||||||
|Optimal (3d)
||EXT
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Extreme (1d)
||||EXT
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|OOR (1d)
|||||EXT
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Blaster Rifle
|||||||||
|Optimal (2d)
||||EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Extreme (2d)
|||||EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|OOR (2d)
||||||EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Heavy Blaster
|||||||||
|Optimal (2d)
||||EXT
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Extreme (3d)
||||||EXT
|EXT
|OPT
|
|OOR (3d)
|||||||EXT
|EXT
|
|Blaster Cannon
|||||||||
|Optimal (1d)
|||||EXT
|EXT
|OPT
|OPT
|
|Extreme (4d)
|||||||EXT
|OPT
|
|OOR (4d)
||||||||EXT
|
|Targeting Rifle
|||||||||
|Optimal (2)
|||||||EXT
|OPT
|
|Extreme (5)
||||||||EXT
|
|OOR (5)
|||||||||

For a prettier version (Note that Holdout Pistol replaces Light Pistol):
http://imgur.com/WUgo7Pl

[b]Other Skills List

[/b](This one needs some help. I’m all ears for new skills or general advice for these.)

|Pistols Agility
|
This skill allows the character to operate Pistols of all sorts.
Obstacle: See Range and Cover and Fight chapters.
FoRKs: ?
Skill Type: Martial
Tools: A pistol

|Rifles Agility/Perception
This skill allows the character to operate Blaster Rifles and Heavy Blasters, as well as Cycler, Pulse, and Targeting Rifles
Obstacle: See Range and Cover and Fight chapters.
FoRKs: ?
Tools: A blaster|
|Vehicular Weapons Perception
The Vehicular Weapons skill allows a character to operate vehicle or platform-mounted weapons.
Obstacle: See Range and Cover
FoRKs: Pilot
Tools: Vehicle-mounted weapons|Slicing Perception/Agility
A character with this skill knows how to hack into security systems, droids, and other machines to change their operations and functions to suit the Slicer’s needs
Obstacle: ?
FoRKs: Computers, Machine-wise
Skill Type: Special
Tools: Yes, unless the machine being sliced has a terminal to interact with using computers.

|
|Computers Perception/Agility
The Computers skill allows a character to interact with various tech, as well as programming.
FoRKs: Machine-wise
Skill Type: Special
Tools: No, unless the machine has no terminal to interact with.

|Fabrication Perception/Agility
This skill allows a character to build droids, machines and technology from raw materials.
FoRKs: Machine-wise, Jury-rigging
Skill Type: Craftsman
Tools: Yes, Toolkit and materials|
|Jury-Rigging Will/Agility
Jury-Rigging allows a character to repair a machine to allow it to perform one last test before it is completely unfunctional.
Obstacle: 3 or higher
FoRKs: Computers, Scavenging, Machine-wise, Droid-wise, Hyperdrive-wise
Skill Type: Peasant
Tools: Yes, Repair Toolkit or Adventuring Gear.

|Astrogation Perception
Treated as navigation, but for hyperspace.
Obstacle: In-system, Ob 1. Nearby charted system, Ob 2. Nearby uncharted system or distant charted system, Ob 4. Distant uncharted system, Ob 5. If under fire, link from Steel. Margin of failure is added to Obstacle.
FoRKs: Computers
Skill Type: Spacefaring
Tools: Yes, a functioning hyperdrive computer.

|
|Repair Perception/Agility
The Repair skill is for repairing damaged droids, vehicles and devices. This is the physical work. For programming and software, use Computers instead.
Obstacle: Minor repairs, Ob 1-2. Major repairs, Ob 3-5. Add disadvantages if machine is junk, temperamental or missing parts.
FoRKs: Jury-Rigging, Machine-wise, Droid-wise, Junk-wise. Head’s on Backwards-wise.
Skill Type: Craftsman
Tools: Yes, Toolkit|Pilot Perception/Agility
A character with the Pilot skill has the ability to maneuver starfighters and manual controlled starships.
Obstacle: Must be used instead of Speed when piloting a ship for Range & Cover maneuvers. Does not cause the regular double Obstacle penalty vs Stats against other ships.
FoRKs:
Skill Type: Spacefaring
Tools: Yes, a starfighter or starship|

More to be added over time, when needed

wow this is amazing.

Thanks, Sanj!

Also, for those of you about to ask, “Why is a blaster pistol the same damage as a blaster rifle?”

here is your answer:
[video]https://youtu.be/9k-941c-ZTc?t=100[/video]

If I recall my canon, Han’s pistol is a heavily modified DL-44. I would say it’s the exception and not the rule.

You are correct, sir! Well done!

However, Blaster Pistols seem to have the same level of firepower across the board, generally. What gives a rifle an advantage over a pistol is it’s range and it’s ability to support. A stormtrooper’s E-11 seems to match the power of a DH-17.

You can use light pistols to represent the less potent guns, like a scout trooper pistol, or the one Han uses to shoot the sarlacc tentacle wrapped around Lando.

There’s a lot of cool stuff here! I feel like it could be streamlined a bit, though. Of course, this is a whole lot of “if it were me doing this…” stuff, so, you know. Lots of salt may be required.

For Force powers, I’d probably model it like Art Magic. You’d have one open-ended Force skill, and then the actual powers would have different Obs based on what effect you were going for.

Of course, it just occurred to me that you may not have the MaBu, and it’ll be August before we see the Codex, which means you might not be familiar with the Art Magic system. So, if you want, I’ll write up a list of possible effects/obs a little later.

I love the idea of the Dark Side being an EA that every Force User has to deal with! I feel like the way you have it written up is kinda complicated, though. I don’t think that you need to have a special Instinct. I don’t have my MaBu at hand, but I think there might be a streamlined solution here, too.

This is all less helpful than I intended. I’ll write some stuff up this evening and post it for your perusal.

No problem, Shaun! It was most indeed helpful.

A friend of mine lent me his Magic Burner a while back, so I remember most of it.

I had considered Art Magic for Force Powers, but it’s a system I don’t actually really enjoy in play (Shameful face). In my experience, it makes the players/GM do too much work, and the payoff is less exciting than a fully fleshed out system of spells(or Spellsongs or Orc Rituals, etc.) Having it broken down in to multiple abilities is my way of showing that a force user can be very good at one aspect, but no so great at another. But, since he/she has access to all of the powers due to the trait, and since the powers are open-ended, he/she can still attempt to use those powers. Edit: I am still open to this idea, though, if you can convince me!

As far as what you said about scrapping Fear-as-an-Instinct, I might agree. I’ve struggled trying to figure out what to do with the Dark Side since this thing’s inception. I like having just the one EA that a player has to deal with, I’m just trying to get that great tension building from the movies, you know?

That scene where Luke loses his shit on Vader when Vader finds out about Leia is very potently Dark Side/Anger/Fear material, and I want that to be represented BY the Anger mechanics. I just don’t know how to get there with what I have. I eagerly await your suggestion on this one, as I haven’t ever been fully happy with “Fear Leads to Anger”.

You could further model Greed and have it built into the EA, like the Greed idioms. Anyone with Anger has to choose 2 or 3 fears that trigger the Anger. Players can then write beliefs and instincts relating to those fears as they see fit.

Brilliant!

This I shall ponder!

Here’s some fear idioms off the top of my head:

Loss - There’s something you value above all else and dread the thought of losing it.
Failure - There’s no way you can live up to everyone’s expectations.
Death - Who wants to live forever? You do.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Abandonment? or is that too close to Loss?

What was it about facing Vader that Luke feared? Edit: In ESB, before he knew Vader was his father. The Unknown?

Abandonment is pretty close to loss, but it could work too.

You could argue Luke was fearing all three: loss of his friends due to his vision, failure to defeat Vader and restore the Jedi, and his own death at the hands of Vader.

In the throne room in RotJ, I’d say he was only facing loss and failure; death was no longer an issue for him.

Abandonment could work too, though it is a form of loss.

I’d say in ESB, and in the throne room in RotJ, Luke was mainly facing loss and failure. Loss of his friends and family, and failure to defeat Vader and restore the Jedi. I don’t get the vibe death was ever a big fear for him.

I tried just using Faith as Force with the obstacles being set at twice the dice being called upon plus one for additional range or targets. And it required a “Force Tax” and following the light or dark paths would determine how your force manifestations would appear along with what force traits you developed (character>call on>die)
Updated Lifepaths and skill sets to match the universe as even slaves on backwater planets in the outer rim are literate. (Except for Ewoks)

Blasters were set by size, quality, and power (holdout, light, medium, heavy) rifles gave more range dice than pistols and also carried a +1 va over the pistol version.
Stun settings were treated like a fortitude tax and limited to the thrown weapon range.