An idea for how to handle overland adventures.
A post-apocalyptic setting. Strange magics abound from the previous world. PCs attempt to gather them to keep them out of the hands of an “evil” cult. PCs live in a huge city surrounded by a protective wall. Outside the wall is the weird and deadly.
Players have agreed that sessions can focus on the internecine politics of the city or adventures outside the city walls.
My idea of how to run the adventures beyond the wall.
- Present the players with a blank map, or semi-blank map. Maybe a few evocative names.
- Have markers on the map where the possible location of this weeks goal are.
- Players will place the goal on one of these markers.
- Also on the map is a situation/opposition that separates the PCs from the goal.
- Each marker has a listed OB roll modifier for the navigation test to get there. Closer markers have Higher OBs and “Tougher” opposition. Far markers of course take longer to get to and time is at a premium.
- Players will write a belief about the goal or the situation/opposition.
- Play to see what happens.