How to write beliefs that bring in more setting?

Belief manipulation question:

I have one open belief slot for next session and I am not quite sure what to do with it. Something I want out of the game though is to establish the world and the elf culture more and introduce more named NPCs. My character is moving to a new city next session so this seems like a good opportunity. What kind of beliefs would allow me to do that?

I’d probably need more to go on, but I’ll take a stab at it.

[ul]
[li]I’ll find my friend Caradhil to get the latest rumors on the happenings of the Cult of the Eye in this city.
[/li][li]I’ll rescue my cousin Caradhil from the Cult of the Eye and find out what they want from him.
[/li][li]My uncle Caradhil came to this city for unknown reasons, I’ll find him and find out why he left the elf-lands for this city.
[/li][li]My ex-lover Caradhil joined the Cult of the Eye. I must stop him!
[/li][/ul]
Blah, blah, etc.

I’d talk to the GM about the world, just chat and see if any details of the GM’s ideas about the setting inspire you to jump on it with a belief.

Maybe look at the lifepaths. Is there tension between the elves in the citadel and the elves out in the wild? Do you have a relative who is walking the path of Spite?

Look at the equipment list…is there something you want that you couldn’t afford? Who has it? What are you willing to do to get it?

Hope that helps.

Beliefs can be used to establish the existence of NPCs, but that’s not really recommended use past character burning. Circles is the normal way to create new specific NPCs. On the other hand, it’s fine to retroactively make characters with Beliefs as long as you discuss with the GM. Wises, similarly, are the standard way to bring up facts about Elven culture.

That’s really the key. Any world-building you want really needs to be discussed. It may be Belief material, but it’s also fine to just say, “Hey, I’m interested in seeing more about the culture of the Elves in the world.” You’re allowed to have input in the game through less formal channels too!