How's your book holding up?

Question for anybody who has actually been putting their book to some use. How’s it holding up physically? I ask, because my lovely custom illustrated copy is starting to come apart. The individual little booklets have peeled loose from the ridged backing on one end, and the damage is accelerating.

I don’t think the book has been subjected to particularly hard use either. It’s been read through once, ridden around in my pack in a nice protected pocket, and used in a couple play sessions.

So I’m wondering if I’m just unlucky?

Also, does anybody have any experience with binding, and could suggest an appropriate glue that could be in a repair attempt?

Mine is having the same problem, similar light use. I grabbed some rubber cement and tried that, and it seems to be maybe working, but I’m not confident that it’ll hold.

I thought it was due to the way that Canada Post treated my book. The bottom is a little mangled and I thought that was helping the separation. The top is holding well enough though.

Mine’s having a bit of this issue as well. I used a hair dryer to get things back into place, but I’m being really tender with it right now.

Regards,
Daniel

I am having exactly the same problem. I suspect that size of the book and the weight of the paper was just too much for the binding glue used. I am intending (but haven’t got to it yet) to use a syringe and some white carpenters glue, injecting it into the binding up through the bottom where the sewn sections are coming away from the back-paper and then gently tapping the sections back down into place on top of the back-paper.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this were a really common problem looking at the symptoms. I’m not pleased, but I honestly don’t think there’s much to be done: if there’s a reprinting done, I’ll probably buy a new book in the hopes that Luke will have worked out this problem with the printer before hand and a stronger glue used (if that’s possible).

Ahh, I too have noticed that the bottem binding is coming unglued. So far the binding is still good, what ever string they used is holding it together well.

If anyone has a good idea about repairs I would gladly like to hear about it.

I wouldnt think that rubber cement would work well…

Gentlemen,

If you want to help me, send me your damaged copies. I can replace them. Binding for the replacement is the same, so it’s a temporary fix at best. But it’s something! If you can’t send them – because they are illustrated or numbered – sit tight. I’m working on the issue behind the scenes.

Also, your books will not fall apart. They are stitched in. They will just look weird.
-L

Cool! I will wait to see the results of your issue-working, since sending books back and forth to Canada ain’t all that cheap.

But, may I also point out, sir, that your customer service is awesome.

Also, your books will not fall apart. They are stitched in. They will just look weird.

My experience with this sort of the problem in the past is that this is mostly true; however, eventually, sections of the book will tear right off the backing-paper, and then the book will start dropping entire sections out. That ain’t pretty, but it does take some time, and it’s certainly not like un-sewn bindings where pages start springing out willy-nilly.

But I look forward to the solution you come to, Luke; if it means a reprint with better binding glue that takes months because of who printed the original book, I’m totally willing to be patient and wait. If it means that I could get a replacement copy eventually, with the same glue, that would also be OK – I would just be very mindful to treat it with extra care and break it in properly.

Also, as a general set of info to others. You can break in a hardback book carefully – here’s what you do. When you get your book, set its spine on the table so it’s standing “up” (pages facing your face). Then, gently open both sides with about an equal number of pages and gently smoothe them down on the table: do NOT press down hard, and try not to open precisely on the centre points of the sewn sub-sections. Continue opening gently blocks of pages to either side, and smoothing down, until you reach the middle of the book.

This process helps gently break in your spine and backing-paper, without putting undue stress on the glue.

Also, given what we now know about the book, it’s probably a good idea to avoid forceably “smoothing the book flat” when it’s open. Gently setting it flat should be OK, but try to avoid putting undue stress on the binding.

[Yes, I’m a bit of a nut when it comes to book care. Apologies, folks, for the long post.]

Hmm… I’ve read my copy twice and have been fliping through it as I prep for an upcoming game. The bottom corner of the binding also got smashed a bit by the ol’ USPS. So far, it’s been fine, though I dunno I count as being a “heavy user.” I love that it will actually lay flat on almost any page.

You could always try this:
Bookbinding Link

I’ve followed this process to print and bind some pdf’s I bought. It’s dead-simple and kind of fun.

Gorilla Glue is what the article suggests, and what I used to bind my books.

It foams up as it dries, filling any cracks, and within a few hours, it’s rock-solid. You can get it at Wal-Mart, hardware stores, or Amazon if you’re desperate.

Also: http://printfu.org/

Be very careful with Gorilla Glue! It’s easy to glue your fingers together.

Had the same problem. Fixed it though, all you need is some weldbond, a toothpick or similar small and handy implement. Apply weldbond to the back of the booklets and the binding and then close. Clean up is simple with a damp towel or rage. An hour later, holding beautifully.

Gentlefolk,

Could you please forward pictures of the damaged books to luke@burningwheel.org

One picture per book, please. Include the date of purchase.

thank you,
-L

Are there any news on the "working behind the scenes to make the

<s>world</s>

book better"?

I am planning on buying BE, but I would like - if one is scheduled - to wait for a “non-falling apart” edition.

Are there any news on the “working behind the scenes to make the book better”? It seemed to me there was a permanent subject on this issue on top of the forum, but I can’t find it back now.

I am planning on buying BE, but, after having seen the book of one of my friend, I am relunctant to buy the current edition… I’d rather wait for a non-falling-apart edition.

This is what a librarian uses a bone knife for. A bone knife isn’t nearly as cool as it sounds.

And be careful using gorilla glue, it is an expanding foam type glue and if too much is used might make things misalign.