Human Barbarian/Berserker Class?

I don’t know why, but almost as soon as I started reading through Torchbearer I kept thinking of how the Angry condition would be connected with a barbarian/berserker class - ya know, those characters in D&D that were fast, raging badasses. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Human Berserker
Raw Abilities: Health 6, Will 2
Weapons: Any except bow, crossbow, or sling
Skills: Fighter 4, Scout 3, Survivalist 3, Laborer 2, Hunter 2
Starting Trait: Heart of Battle
Starting Weapon: Battle axe, Warhammer, Sword, or 2-Handed sword
Starting Armor: Leather armor and helmet
Alignment: Must be Chaotic

Tales are told in Koth, the City of Leather and Smoke, of the berserkers - those barbarous, savage warriors who worship no god but the fire in their blood. Like demons they throw themselves into battle, and when the bloodlust takes them nothing can stop them, not even death.

Level 1

Berserker
While angry she gains +1D to kill, drive off, and capture conflict actions.

Level 2

Stoke the Fire
If the berserker is not already exhausted or angry, she may choose to become angry instead of hungry and thirsty or exhausted.

Run Amok
If angry, the berserker gains +1D to all pursue and flee conflicts or any test involving running and sprinting.

Level 3

Feed the Flame
While angry, her team gains +1s to kill, drive off, and capture conflict dispositions.

Stubborn- Like the warrior benefit of the same name.

Level 4

Bloodlust
While she is angry and in a kill conflict, double the benefit of her weapon.

Shield Breaker
If she is angry, she ignores enemies’ shields or defensive traits in kill, drive off, and capture conflicts.

Level 5

Endless Rage
When she is angry, help from her counts as +2D instead of +1D in kill, drive off, capture, or chase conflicts.

Blood Bath
If she is angry, gain 1 Hit Points when the berserker depletes an enemy to 0 Hit Points in a kill, drive off, or capture conflict.

I think tying the condition into the class is a great idea. I have a few suggestions:

Raw Abilities: I understand why you chose these numbers, but all Human Classes allow the player to distribute these points. I think I would follow the book’s lead in this case.

Weapons: Why no Sling? Granted, I think it fits more within the concept of a Barbarian, but it’s basically a leather pouch that you use to hurl rocks. I would disallow Flails instead.

Trait: I would go Fiery. “Quick to Anger” seems right up this class’s alley.

Lastly, since we’re doubling bonuses for Angry, why not double the penalties? I think it really plays up the idea of uncontrollable anger. Also, that you never want your Barbarian handling the group’s diplomacy. Also, don’t forget that Angry can affect any test involving “precision and social graces”. How well will they be able to use their Circles to track people down in a fit of rage?

Thanks, Vanguard.

Human Berserker
Raw Abilities: Distribute 8 points between Will and Health; neither stat may have a rating lower than 2 or higher than 6.
Weapons: Any except bow, crossbow, or flail
Skills: Fighter 4, Scout 3, Survivalist 3, Laborer 2, Hunter 2
Starting Trait: Fiery
Starting Weapon: Battle axe, Warhammer, Sword, or 2-Handed sword
Starting Armor: Leather armor and helmet
Alignment: Cannot be Lawful

Level 1

Berserker
Berserkers may not be from Bustling Metropolis or any Lawful hometown. If a bersreker’s alignment ever changes to Lawful, she becomes a human warrior of the same level.
Berserkers draw strength from an intense primal rage that both empowers them and also prevents them from dealing with complicated tasks and social situations: While angry she gains +1D to kill, drive off, and capture conflict actions but suffers twice the usual penalties in all Tests and Conflicts involving precision or social graces.

Level 2 - Choose one:

Stoke the Fire
If the berserker is not already exhausted or angry, she may choose to become angry instead of hungry and thirsty or exhausted.

Run Amok
If angry, the berserker gains +1D to all pursue and flee conflicts or any test involving running and sprinting.

Level 3 - Choose one:

Feed the Flame
While angry, her team gains +1s to kill, drive off, and capture conflict dispositions.

Stubborn
Like the warrior benefit of the same name.

Level 4 - Choose one:

Bloodlust
While she is angry and in a kill conflict, double the benefit of her weapon.

Shield Breaker
If she is angry, she ignores enemies’ shields or defensive traits in kill, drive off, and capture conflicts.

Level 5 - Choose one:

Endless Rage
When she is angry, help from her counts as +2D instead of +1D in kill, drive off, capture, or chase conflicts.

Blood Bath
If she is angry, she gains 1 Hit Point when she depletes an enemy to 0 Hit Points in a kill, drive off, or capture conflict.

I like the switch to “cannot be Lawful”. It’s much better “Must be Chaotic”

I don’t think you class-switch upon becoming Lawful. I would say that such a switch likely changes one the traits (Fiery if they have it) to Calm. However, such a change has to be necessitated with growing weary, swearing allegiance, or something similarly dramatic.

I think each level should only have one benefit that is usable “when angry.” Something cultural perhaps, instead of combative, so there’s some choice. Or combative, but not tied to the angry condition.

Jared Sorensen did something similar a while back. http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?13659-Barbarians-two-stocks

I’m glad you didn’t know though, because it allowed you to think up stuff creatively, separate from him.

Also, speaking to the changes specifically:

I think this is a bit too much: While angry she gains +1D to kill, drive off, and capture conflict actions but suffers twice the usual penalties in all Tests and Conflicts involving precision or social graces.

Instead, I propose: While angry she gains +1D to Attack in all physical conflicts but -1D to Defend. This increases the strategy of the conflict instead of acting as a flat bonus. I don’t think the double-stacking of the social graces penalty is needed, but that’s in my opinion.

Or even While angry she gains +1D to Attack and Maneuver in all physical conflicts but -1D to Defend if you want it to come out in the player’s favor. Maybe it should.

My new barbarian is much better than my original write-up (just human stock, less D&D “rage rage rage” barbarian and more “rough-living nomadic tribal hunter”). I’ll be releasing it under Torchbearer Sagas. Need to get some art done for it.

Ho, ho! Has anyone else utilized Torchbearer Sagas or will you be the first? You’ve got a sale here (assuming =<$5).

I’ll probably be using Torchbearer Saga/Dungeonslayers, depending. For now, everything I make shows up for scrutiny by the community and on my blog.

Oh, so close! $5.10.