If you hate mapping

Some people love drawing maps. I don’t. I plan on creating a rule that just lets you test a wise to get where you need to go and get out, failures are mitigated by resources, mainly food and time.

P.S. just backed!

I suspect we’ve already got you covered. But you can’t test Wises in Torchbearer. They work differently. :wink:

Looking forward to reading the new stuff!

There’s no actual required mapping for the skill in question. A doodle is more than enough. It’s nothing like the game of telephone that is old school grid mapping. I’ll try to dig up some if my play testing maps.

I think the maps I did are all in Thor’s hands from our playtests. Anyways, let’s presume I made a test and drew this map*:

Thelon’s Rift by Tony Dowler, on Flickr

With a successful result (or failed with condition), I now can move from any spot on that map to any other spot without making any sort of test and thus expending time or resources. It’s sorta like relationships in BW.

• my maps look nowhere near as nice as Tony Dowler’s

So mapping is like…it’s like Circles, but for places…

That’s brilliant.

Does it have to be a map of places you’ve already been? Or does this let you create new areas as an act of player-authorship?

Only areas you’ve been or areas someone else has described to you.

Good.

Hmmm, so we’ve been muddling through and I was trying out this concept and I wanted to do an ‘enmity’ clause for mapping test failures. Is that feasible?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

It seems that since the Enmity Clause is pretty much a “canned” twist for Circles, you could come up with a similar “go to” twist for failed mapping or navigation rolls. But I’m not sure that it would have the same kind of power/interestingness that acquiring an enemy via Enmity would, or why a regular twist would not be sufficient or desired.

Well sorta what slashdevil is postulating. I get the idea of a mouseguard twist on a failed roll, but since the implication on mapping tests are a sort of ‘circles’ roll of known places then perhaps the interesting twist (ie:enmity) would be based on the intent of the roll (similarly with circles).
So you go where you thought but its a hindrance rather than a help, or you find what you are looking for but its in a totally different location, or you discover that the secret treasure chamber is really a deathtrap, or you get to a similar location that only partly gives you what you want. That sort of thing. Making the ‘dungeon’ more of an NPC that the PC’s can develop a (spatial and emotive) relationship with. The (rough) map gets updated, details change.

We have got this covered. Trust me.

Have I ever doubted you Luke? :wink: