Interested in your thoughts...

Evenin’ everyone,

I was able to sit down with a few of my players on Friday night and generate some characters for an upcoming game. I was unsure how well they would take to the idea of beliefs and instincts but I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyhow, I would like to hear people’s thoughts and opinions on what my players came up with.

We read through the various examples of the characters in the books and one chap picked a couple of wonderfully conflicting examples from the book but what surprised me most were the Tenderpaw and his mentor the Patrol Leader, I think there is going to be some good tension between them…

Finn
Patrol Leader
Traits: Stubborn, Guard’s Honour, Leader
Belief: I’m getting too old for all this but each new generation of guardmice seems younger and less experienced than the last…
Instinct: Defend the defenceless, leave no mouse behind!

Inspired in part by Thom from the MG rulebook but with a bit more “grumpy old man” about him.

Sloan
Tenderpaw
Traits: Steady Paw, Young, Brave
Belief: I’ll prove to the oldfurs the qualities of my generation. Theirs is the folly of not acknowledging us; it is time for a new era in Lockhaven!
Instinct: Always expect a fight.

I’m interested in seeing how this character develops… the darkness or the light…

Tristan
Guard Mouse
Traits: Curious, Open Minded
Belief: All possibilities should be explored for the well-being of the Guard.
Instinct: The old ways are the best.

I love the idea of a character that is naturally curious and open minded and likes to explore possibilities but when it comes to making that final decision he can’t help but flee back to what he knows works…

As I said I’d be interested in reading what any of y’all have to say.

Looks like a good set of Beliefs and Instincts.

I’m still mostly a noob myself, but that looks like the beginnings of a Belief to me, not an instinct. Remember that instincts require an action and a condition; check your book for more detail, but here are about 3 general ‘shapes’ of instincts “If Condition Then Action”, “Always do Action When Condition occurs”, “Never do Action”.

You’ll notice that “Defend the defenceless, leave no mouse behind” is really another way of writing the “always” shaped instinct.

A simple guide for ‘Is this a good belief or instinct’ is Can i think of ways to spin a obstacle or twist out of this belief. Personally im having a bit of trouble with “I’m getting too old for all this but each new generation of guardmice seems younger and less experienced than the last…” but you might not be. Compare it with Tristian’s " All possibilities should be explored for the well-being of the Guard.", where i can immediately see some possibilities such as disputes between different members of the guard that need arbitrating, perhaps there has been a rumour of a new Scent-Border Sauce formula that is more effective but theres no proof etc etc.

To avoid confusion, you might want to reword that instinct as something like “Stick to the old ways,” which is how I took it.

Noclue, agreed.

This does highlight the importance of BIGs (Beliefs, Instincts and Goals) being clearly understood by the people at the table. BIGs are supposed to indicate to your fellow players what the player wants, and it happens to be phrased In Character.

One of my players has had a Belief that initially I thought i understood, but turns out I didn’t. The player doesn’t have a clear idea of what he means either. As a result he doesn’t get many resource points out of that belief. Massive failure on our part! (The source of this confusion really only came to light near the end of our first in game year!).

Thanks for the input chaps.

I’ve been pondering your words and thinking about the game I’m going to be running. Based on your points we have tried to refine some of the BIG’s.

Finn
Patrol Leader
Traits: Stubborn, Guard’s Honour, Leader
Belief: I may be too old for this but each new generation of Guardmice need a strong guiding paw.
Instinct: I always defend the defenseless, leave no mouse behind!

The plan is that I will be able to test his belief against his Tenderpaw and pretty much any younger member of the guard. He sees it as his duty to guide the unskilled youth and perhaps he is a bit blinkered and doesn’t really think they have what it takes to be in the Guard.

Sloan
Tenderpaw
Traits: Steady Paw, Young, Brave
Belief: I’ll prove to the oldfurs the qualities of my generation. Theirs is the folly of underestimating us; it is time for a new era in Lockhaven!
Instinct: I always expect a fight.

Sloan’s belief does just play straight into Finn’s. Hopefully the drama generated and journey these mice take will be interesting enough. One must learn to let youth flourish the other must realise the importance of experience of age. Obviously it could go horribly Anakin/Kenobi…

Tristan
Guard Mouse
Traits: Curious, Open Minded
Belief: All possibilities should be explored for the well-being of the Guard.
Instinct: When a decision has to be made I believe traditional methods are the best option.

A belief and instinct that are diametrically opposed… he might think he is open minded and he will gladly discuss the various possibilities but as soon as it comes to the practical application he shies away from the new hotness.

CJ, overall these are pretty cool.

I feel you trying to frame Tristan’s instinct so that it let’s the player off the hook. You don’t need to. I suggest making a strong choice there and making it really read like an instinctual habit, rather than a rationally considered position.

It’s not mind control. The player never has to blindly follow his instinct, no matter how dogmatically it is worded. So there’s nothing to fear.

Court Jester, remember also that the player gets a Fate point at the end of the session for acting with his instinct! (i’m at the office though, check your book to be sure). This is the way for the player to clue you in on what sort of trouble they might want to get into.

Other than a little tweak that noclue suggested, i think you are probably ready to play. You’ll get a good idea of any ‘problematic’ BIGs fairly quicky (They wont be generating Fate or Persona), and the players are free to change their beliefs and instincts before or after each session for any reason (including but not limited to not getting fate or persona points).

Good luck, and remember post an Actual Play in the “Playing Burning Wheel, Burning Empires and Mouse Guard” forum.