Knights of all flavors

Does (Knight of a Holy) Military Order count as a Knight lifepath for requirements in your collected opinions?

1 Like

No. Military Order doesn’t count for knight requirements.

Fair enough!

Next question: do lifepaths of identical names serve as meeting the requirement for lifepaths with identical names in different settings? My hunch is no, but there’s a definite argument otherwise.

Yes. Court Knight and Noble Knight both count toward Knight requirements. Apprentice counts toward all Apprentice reqs, etc.

That’s not quite what I’m asking.

Sword Singers of the Etharchal setting and the Protector subsetting have different requirements. Having been one kind of Sword Singer do you qualify to be the other? It’s a rather rare problem; most same-name lifepaths have the same requirements, and the Engineer lifepaths specifically have Engineer as one of the ways to meet the requirement. So I’m pretty sure the answer is no.

In looking for examples, I noticed that the Religious setting Priest requires Temple Acolyte or Religious Acolyte. A Village setting Acolyte doesn’t count. But an acolyte from the Village can take a lead to City and become a Temple Priest—which doesn’t let you become a Priest in the Religious setting. In this case the names aren’t identical so by the rules you definitely can’t, but it’s a little odd. Church infighting and inter-branch rivalry!

Note that the Student lifepath is also found in different places, in different versions. I assume you pick up enough in either setting to satisfy the requirements for any lifepaths which require either one.

Again, that’s not quite what I’m asking. The LPs with requirements make it clear whether any lifepath of a given name is good enough or whether it has to be from a specific setting. My question would be whether one Student lifepath meets any requirements for the other Student lifepath—except neither one actually requires anything, so it’s a moot point.

I’d assume not, particularly given the case of Engineer you mention, where it explicitly allows itself.

I’m a bit confused. What do you mean by “meets the requirements for the other lifepath”? Unless it’s “if I take this Student lifepath, can I take the other Student lifepath later?” In which case, ah. I don’t think you’d be able to, because the other lifepath comes through a differing set of circumstances, even though it produces similar results.

You may as well take the first lifepath again. Yes, I know that means you get reduced rewards, but that’s the point of the rules. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wayfarer: If I’m parsing your question correctly, no it doesn’t work this way.

So we have two lifepaths that are fairly equivalent: Some Dude (City) and Some Dude (Noble Court) The latter has a required lifepath of Some Other Dude, but not the former.

Now there’s another lifepath Yet Another Dude which requires Some Other Dude.

If you took Some Dude (City) but didn’t take Some Other Dude, then you don’t meet the requirements for Yet Another Dude.

So you’re talking about (for example) a Wilder Elf Spouse who became a Sword Singer in the Protector Subsetting, (having never been a Second, Lancer, or Lieutenant) doesn’t qualify for Etharch Sword Singer but, by virtue of being a Sword Singer, still qualifies for any lifepath with the Sword Singer requirement.
(In which case I believe you are correct, the answer would be no.)

I would equate protector subsetting sword singer with soldiers and etharch sword singers with palace guards, similar training, different screening, different missions, different loyalties.

As far as Religious Acolyte (Noble Setting) and Temple Acolyte (Religious Subsetting) being acceptable requirements for Temple Priest (City Setting) while Acolyte (Village Setting) is not acceptable, I do believe that it would be difficult, if not impossible, for a small town country preacher to be hired as a priest in a city temple as he would not meet with the congregations expectations of what a priest should be

(It is odd that those who are considered good enough to serve god are often not considered good enough to serve man. -just a thought-)

Actually, it’s note even that! Any Acolyte LP qualifies for Temple Priest. It’s the Religious sub-setting version, Priest, that doesn’t accept rural acolytes.

My book lists Temple Priest requirements as Religious Acolyte, Temple Acolyte, or Military Order (pg 176). And the Religious Subsetting Priest is, as you say, limited to Temple Acolyte and Religious Acolyte.
Apparently, Village Setting Acolytes are only fit for duty as Venal, Village, or Itinerant priests.
And again, this seems to be an issue of class distinctions. (Friar Tuck, no matter how devout, would never be promoted to Bishop or Cardinal).

You’re right! I was going by memory, which turns out to be from Revised.