Light sources during conflict

I might have miss something but, does the dim light source is a factor during a kill, drive-off or capture conflict? In the conflict exemple from TB book, nobody seems to care about light… Are the factors only used outside conflicts?

Light factors are used during conflicts!

Ok thanks! But how does i manage this in a conflict, since the players and their assailants suffer the same factor from being in light or darkness… In a Drive-off conflict for exemple, do i have to count up each fator on each action?
Let say that one of the character in the dim script an Attack action vs is assaliant Attack action (also in the dim). Does it count as a factor for both?

I hope i’m clear here… but thanks

If they’re both in dim light, it’s a factor for both.

Quite often monsters will not have a factor for this even though the characters do, which makes it a major thing to put out light sources for some creatures…

Do i add the factor in a VS test (attack and feint) from a kill,capture,drive-off conflict?

Yes you do.

And because I’m sure there is someone at some time going to ask the logical question – a Factor in vs tests is -1s. Preemptive answer for posterity!

Thanks for the answers. Last question about Light and Darkness, i know the players can’t engage in a fight conflict in darkness but, what happen when the light source is lost in a middle of a kill, drive off, capture conflict? Are they have to lose the conflict, does the conflict type change? Could for exemple a Drive-off conflict could switch to a flee conflict because players are all in darkness after the light sources got off?

Correct. It switches to flee!

I wasn’t under the impression that switching conflict types was a thing that could be done. How would you go about doing so? Did I miss that somewhere in the book? I wrote up something in the Hacks section of this forum a while ago about switching conflicts but maybe that wasn’t necessary if there’s a way to do so built into the system.

eta: I think the concern was expressed that players shouldn’t be able to flee from a Kill just because they’re losing, but theoretically they could snuff their own light sources to force the conflict to be a flee, couldn’t they?

No they couldn’t because that would be unintuitive. I wouldn’t let players do that, makes little sense from a character perspective too.

I would rule changing the conflict like this:

Everything stays the same you just roll different skills now. So if your light goes out in volley 2 your volley 3 action is now exactly the same action but we are using flee conlfict rules. Dispo and all that stays the same.

I dunno, it makes sense to me. They’re losing, then they go “SNUFF THE LIGHTS AND RUN!” Doesn’t work if the other creatures can see in darkness, but…

I would rule changing the conflict like this:

Everything stays the same you just roll different skills now. So if your light goes out in volley 2 your volley 3 action is now exactly the same action but we are using flee conlfict rules. Dispo and all that stays the same.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how i’ve made it, because it happen once in my last session. It is stated in the conflict rules that you can’t change it right in the middle. I was confused about it, there is nowhere i could find this “exception” in the book.

The question I am missing in this discussion:
what happens, if only some members of the party are in darkness.
The rules say they can only flee, but their comrades are still fighting so how to handle that in game rules?

I guess a character in the dark cannot act at all,
but do they eat up an action or are they simply skipped?
Do they participate in (non-riddle) conflicts at all, i.e. do they get disposition?
If not, what happens if someone goes dark during the conflict?

And can you lighten a torch while in conflict, like between rounds?

Why wouldn’t losing the light source in a kill conflict work like a kill conflict with a creature of might 4+. You can enter into a kill conflict, but, while the creature can kill you, the best you can hope for is to drive it off.

Of course the creature (if might 3+) can still kill you!