Malicious Devices

We had our first Goblin Shaman start the other day and the player has some questions about Malicious Devices. Mainly, can she use them as help for another character’s actions? (Some of them seem appropriate for such an action). Our GM told her he was fine with it, but she wanted my opinion as well. I told her that I might allow the effect, but only in place of the +1D from help, not in addition to.

Another general question concerns multiple targets. For example, Smoke Bombs say that “anyone not carrying a light”. Is that every enemy? Does it include the character’s? With Hobnail Bomb, does that damage the leather armor of every target damaged by the Attack? The primary target and everyone who helped him? Or only the primary, acting target? (This is a question I’ve had about other abilities as well. For example, the Roden’s Musk. Es it only effect the primary target, all targets who helped or all targets who take damage?)

Specific questions are listed below:

Hobnail Bomb: This device is packed with rusty nails. A successful Attack damages the target’s leather armor.
[ul]Can you use it as help another character’s Attack or only on your own?[/ul]
[ul]Does it damage the armor before or after damage to Hit Points? (I would assume before, or what’s the point?)[/ul]

Oil Slick: This device makes the ground incredibly slippery. Opponents armed with melee weapons are automatically impeded on a successful Manuever. Fire-based spells or dropped torches will ignite the oil, causing Injury.
[ul]Can you use it as help another character’s Attack or only on your own?[/ul]

Rust Bomb: This corrosive device sprays acidic goo that damage metal armor and weapons. On an Attack or Feint, roll 1d6 for each piece of armor or metal weapon equipped by the target. On 1-3, the item is damaged. On 4-6, the item resists the effect. Magical weapons and armor are damaged on a roll of 1.
[ul]Can you use it as help another character’s action or only on your own?[/ul]
[ul]Does it damage the armor and weapons before or after damage to Hit Points?[/ul]
[ul]If before, how does that effect weapon damage for that interaction?[/ul]

Smoke Bomb: This device billows forth clouds dark purple smoke. On a successful Maneuver, anyone not carrying a light source is in darkness until the smoke clears. Anyone carrying a candle, torch or lantern is in dim light.
[ul]Can you use it as help another character’s Maneuver or only on your own?[/ul]

Stink Bomb: This device sprays stench. On a successful Attack or Feint, the victim can neither help nor be helped for the remainder of the conflict.

Glue Trap: This device bursts into a glob of sticky tendrils. On a successful Maneuver, the target’s bow or crossbow is damaged. Any other weapon they’re using is disarmed.
[ul]Can you use it as help another character’s Maneuver or only on your own?[/ul]

Flash Bomb: This device dazes onlookers, turning Defend against Feint and Attack against Feint into versus tests.
[ul]How long does the effect last? Only the current action? (It could be wasted if you must equip it before the actions are revealed.)[/ul]

Mushroom Cloud: This trippy device showers the victim with hallucinogenic mushroom spores. Only living creatures are affected. On a successful Attack or Feint, roll 1d6 at the beginning of the next round:
[ul]The effects of the Mushroom Cloud are pretty self explanatory. Just the same questions about helping and multiple targets.[/ul]

I think a much simpler question that would clear things up, and one that isn’t totally clear from the write-up, is: Are malicious devices armed as weapons, or are they treated as tools?

I believe that clarification would make judgement calls much easier regarding everything else. Anyone know which one it is?

They’re one-use items, like incendiary supplies from alchemist. You have to use up the device to gain the effect. In a conflict, you could expend it to help with +1D (and narrate colorful happenings) but to get the actual effect you have to use it on your action.

Hobnail Bomb: Works exactly like a mace damaging metal armor. Negates the armor and damages it.

Rust Bomb: Weapons and armor are affected at the end of the action—no dissolving that sword in mid-swing!

Flash Bomb: Dazzle effect lasts until the end of the round (so between 0-2 actions).