Mausugado: Mouse Guard in Feudal Japan

Ok, I’ll bite. What does “Masakatsu Agatsu” mean?

I’ll post more info as I work on it. The idea originally came up when I was thinking of making a foreign mouse from an Asian land. Then I figured, what the hell. I’ll just make the setting. Our regular MG group has been semi-retired in favor of TorchBearer as well, so this might get used in the not-so-near future.

“Masakatsu Agatsu” is something I picked up from Aikido, which seems very much like it could be a plug-in replacement in this setting for the standard Mouse Guard creed “It’s not what you fight; It’s what you fight for”. Roughly translated, it means “true victory is victory over yourself”.

Oh, that’s so incredibly super-cool. I really dig how it’s absolutely within the spirit of BW, but also lends its own slant to the game. Plus, it definitely plugs into Nature.

I intend on posting regular updates in this thread, to keep guys updated and to get your input. However, I don’t really want to just cut and paste the entire document here each time. Is there a way to post a link to the document? I can see how to post pics and vids, but not docs. Any ideas?

Put it up on Google Drive or Dropbox and send us the link?

Amazon has a new file sharing/collaboration service called Zocalo. I have created a “Mausugado” folder in Zocalo which you could use. Just PM me your email address, and I’ll get you full access to that folder.

Thanks, I’ll do that, but I also created a folder on DropBox called Mausugado and have the PDF saved there.
Here’s the link. I hope it works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjixvvmv4ebtyrh/The%20Ninth%20Empire.pdf

As far as the Mausugado creed, I found this warrior’s creed online and I think it works. (I obviously modified it a bit to fit the Mouse Guard world.)

The Mausugado Creed
As a Guard Mouse, I live by choice, not by chance.
I am motivated, not manipulated.
I am useful, not used.
I make changes, not excuses.
I excel, but do not compete.
I choose self-esteem, not self pity.
I choose to listen to my inner voice, not to the random opinions of others.
As a Guard Mouse, I choose to do the things that others won’t
so I can continue to do the things others can’t.

Downloaded the PDF and it is great work! My only critque is the use of term Ninja. Shinobi would the more culturally appropraitely term. Also Shinobi were not open about their occupations in Fuedal Japan, as the occupation was seen as deeply dishonorable. My advice would be to do more research of historical “Ninja” and revise the setting to be more in line with the History it is based on.

Everything else is incrediably inspired, and the adaptation of the Mouse Guard into this Feudal Japanese setting is spot on.

Thanks. I’ll look into the shinobi. I was using the term ninja because the documents I was researching online used it and ninja is more commonly known to the general public than shinobi, (although, being the old man that I am, I remember the Shinobi video game…awesome side-scroller). But, I’ll look into it and maybe make some changes.

I agree with the replacement of “ninja” with "shinobi’. Also… sumo?! I want (no, NEED!) to see more about that.

I only skimmed the document, but will give it a full read-through when I get a moment. Looks pretty sweet, though.

Sorry I haven’t posted any updates or replies, guys. I haven’t given it up, just on vacation and haven’t had time. I’ll get back to the Mausugado next week. Thanks for all the input. It’s much appreciated.

Just a minor update and a question of political correctness.

Above, I edited the creed to make it a little less wordy. I’m also considering eliminating the line about not competing. At least in our campaigns, competition is a big part of the player’s turns.

As far as the question of political correctness:

The world is loosely based on Feudal Japan culture. While I use a lot of translated words, historical events and traditional occupations, much of the world is total fiction, such as city placement, specific environments, history, etc.

I was originally going to base the Imperial religions on Buddhism and Shinto, but I thought that any changes I made to these religions to make it fit this world might cause inadvertent offense to members of those religions. (Admittedly, it is doubtful that anyone belonging to those religions would read this hack, but you never know.) So, I made up a fictional religion with no basis in reality and I’m fine with that.

My question, however, is with the Kingdom of Rats. The map of the world is a fairly accurate map of real-world Japan and thus has the continent of Asia to the north west. In my world, the Kingdom of Rats is in no way based off of Chinese or Korean cultures. If anything, it is closer to the Mongolian people who followed Genghis Khan. Even then, I am going to leave these barbarians loosely defined because, to the mice of The Ninth Empire, the rattu are a mysterious and savage people and I don’t want the players to know anything that the mice wouldn’t know. So, other than the placement of the continent, they are in no way based off of any culture and I mean no offense to the Chinese or Korean people. The question is, would offense be taken anyway? Should I change create a whole new home for the Kingdom of Rats so that it is in no way connected to the Asian culture, even in placement on the map? I don’t mean offense and I don’t think offense would be taken, but I’d like your opinions. What do you guys think?

I would consider looking at what rats are like in actual Japan. (Remember: scale down distances; the entirety of Mausugaado probably takes place on a single island, like Okinawa.) I suspect that Dave drew on the actual biomes of Canada for Mouse Guard, so you should follow suit. (I’m betting that the sea voyage in The Legend of the Black Axe was in reality across one of the Great Lakes or something.) Draw inspiration from that, and it’ll help you to give the rattu a more honest depiction.

That’s another thought. I was actually considering using an actual map of Japan and scale it down to the scale of mice. Making actually four islands plus all the small ones and scale them to mouse size. The other option would be having them on the main island I guess and just having the Mausugado there and then maybe the rats on the other islands. Maybe even mouse societies that don’t agree with the Mausugado philosophy. Not sure which way to go here.

Had a game session last night playing TorchBearer with my group. Afterwards, had an informative and inspirational talk about Mausugado, the end result of which is, basically I’m going to rewrite just about everything I’ve done so far. :slight_smile: The initial thought was inspired by CarpeGuitarrim’s post above. The following are the more important ideas, but even these are open to debate:

China will not be incorporated at all. Instead of being a multi-island empire, the mouse society will utilize just the main island. The surrounding islands will be occupied by the enemy rat barbarians.

While the Emperor will still be the public face of political power, it will also be much as feudal Japan was: The Emperor is really just a tool to be manipulated by the shoguns, who are truly the ones who control the Empire. While the shoguns are the true leaders of the Empire, the Emperor is merely the religious symbol of authority. Still considered a Living God, he has little true power and relies on the Mausugado to maintain peace and balance among the shoguns. Unfortunately for the Emperor, only in death does he become a Risen God, finally gaining true respect and honor.

However, in Mausugado, while shoguns control political power and have small forces for personal protection, they are not a military power and are not capable of protecting the Empire as a whole. They can muster up small armies of commoners to help the Mausugado when needed. But, it is the Mouse Guard that is, in the end, charged with protecting the shores (borders) from the raids of the rattu and the perils of predators and other animals dangerous to mouse society.

These are the current planned changes. Any thoughts or additions?

“If a Mouse were to be suddenly caught in a trap, he should still be able to perform one more action with certainty.” — Hagakure

Um…Its a nice quote, but I’m not sure what it means or how you meant for me to use it.

hello. im question: What does “Masakatsu Agatsu” mean?

(Dammit. How do you do tabs here so I can seperate the names and translations below?)

Sorry for the delay in updates. Been busy working on it, but not to a point where I felt an update would do any good until now. The following is an excerpt from the chapter explaining the “territories” of the 9th Empire. Its still not complete, but I have a question for you guys. I’ve named each city and provided the Empire/Japanese translation for each. I did both so that anyone who utilizes the world can use whichever translation they want. However, I’m torn on which to use in the text of the book. For example, Scalekeep is the Mausugado home in this world. The Empire translation for this is Sukērukīpu. In the text describing the town and any other texts in the book (and on the map, for that matter), should I refer to it as Scalekeep or Sukērukīpu? I like using the Japanese translation for immersion’s sake, but the English translation would probably be easier to remember while playing. Would you guys have a preference?

Kingdoms and Island Nations: In the Mousugado world, there is one true Empire under mouse control. The 9th Empire is divided into five shogunates (still referred to in the old way as the Five Kingdoms) and two minor island nations. These areas are then divided into eight major, seventeen minor and eleven undefined provinces. Lastly, there is the enemy Kingdom of Rats, formerly an Empire nation, now inhabited by the barbaric ratto. The names of each of the areas are listed below, with both the Empire name and the western translation:

Empire Western Translation
Dai Kyū Teikoku The 9th Empire

The Five Kingdoms Western Translation
Gin Chō Silver Butterfly
Gōrudendoragon Golden Dragon
Nihonjika Island Sika Deer Island
Tanuki Island Raccoon Dog Island
Yamadori Copper Pheasant

Minor Nations Western Translation
Tonbo Isles Dragonfly Isles
Ōkōmori Isles Flying Fox Isles

Major Provinces Western Translation
Burakkusutōn Blackstone
Dōnoyakan Copperkettle
Hakuryuu IvoryDragon
Hanaki Blossomwood
Aware Vale Starlight Vale
Komorebi Port Mangrove Port
Ōkurīfu ga Teika Oakleaf Falls
Sukērukīpu Scalekeep

Minor Provinces Western Translation
Aianhōsu Ironhorse
Anbākoke Ambermoss
Chiheisen Horizon
Futagoki Twintrees
Fuyu no Hinansho Winter Haven
Hiyama Quarry Hiyama Quarry
Kodokunaishi Lonestone
Koshō chūkū Pepper Hollow
Kumo no One Spider Ridge
Ochitaki no Hashi Felltree Bridge
Ryuingu Dragonwing
Shingurusuteppu Singlestep
Shirukuuddo Silkwood
Sorahi Skyfire
Tani Nakisaken Wail Valley
Yoi Namida Goodtear
Yuzumura Yuzu Village

Undefined Provinces Western Translation
Aisumachi Icetown
Chikusa Bloodgrass
Enko Saltlake
Koinagawa Coincreek
Kurodoro Blackmuck
Saigohōmu Lasthome
Shiroitsurī Whitetree
Takaigake Highcliff
Tawā Belltower
Wamizun Nowater
Watageha Fluffleaf

Enemy Land Western Translation
Rattokoku Kingdom of Rats

I know this seems like a lot, but it isn’t really. I’ll explain more later. I just want to know what you guys think about the names and/or translations.

Ok, I know its been more than a little while since my last update, but I just don’t have the time to dedicate to this as much as I’d like. However, the good news is that, as far as I can tell, it’s done. I’d love it if you guys could read through it and/or create some characters and play. I encourage you to give me input, post your ideas, share your characters, etc. I’d be happy to make any needed changes and fix any mistakes you guys might find. Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82hg9pv9lq631ib/The%20Ninth%20Empire%20copy.pdf?dl=0