Mission: Investigation & Diplomacy

So, I had this idea for a mission, but not sure how to translate it into game terms. I was hoping someone here could give me their opinion.
Basically, it’s about a feud between two well-off families in Ivydale - The Farnham family, and the Outerbridge family.

Gawen Outerbridge’s son, Corin, is missing. Gawen believes Pipin Farnham is responsible. Gawen kidnaps Pipin’s son, Digory, as retribution and locks him in his cellar.
Gawen’s daughter, Tamsin, is in a romantic relationship with Digory. She wants to see him freed, but is afraid her father will suspect her involvement and hurt her.
Pipin Farnham has no proof but, correctly, assume Gawen Outerbridge has kidnapped his son. Pipin Farnham demands the Guard take action against Gawen Outerbridge.
Corin is dead. He was killed by a milk snake while venturing too far off from the settlement.

If Digory Farnham is not returned to his father, it may ignite a savage and bloody feud between the Farnham and Outerbridge estates.

How would you run a situation like this in Mouse Guard?

Umm… well… I’m not exactly the most qualified person to help but… I would say to just have a Pathfinder test to get to Ivydale if they are already not in it. Have someone explain the situation, (like Pipin’s daughter), then let them figure out what they have to do themselves. Like they could say “Interagate Pipin.” and they would take a Presuader or Deciver vs. Pipin’s Deciver. Maybe be able to do that with his daughter but make it against her Will. Let them try to search for the son with a Scout test, etc… etc…

Overall good idea!

This is a great mission. Since these matters are technically out of the jurisdiction of the Guard, missions like these work best when they incorporate the friends and enemies of the guardmice.

So rather than Gwendolyn handing down the mission, have the friend come to the Guard for help.

Once the mission has begun, it’ll require social conflicts, Scout tests, Hunter tests, and Orator tests.

Scout test to find out what happened to Corin. Twist is an encounter with the milk snake.

Argument conflict to mediate between the two families once Corin’s death and Digory’s kidnapping are revealed.

Add in connections between the players’ characters and the mice of Ivydale, and you’re good to go. Whenever possible, I incorporate the characters’ hometowns and their relationship characters into the mission.

I think I’ll steal this mission. I make up for my lack of GM creativity, by stealing others ideas… lol

Please do. We all steal and repackage. Often, the simplest situations are the best. And hey, please get back to me after you run it and report how you handled it. I’m still not entirely sure. If I just let the players figure out what to do, doesn’t that break down the GMT/PT format? I was under the impression it was up to me to present them with the obstacles. If I don’t, how will we know when the GM’s turn is over and it’s the Players Turn?

Nøken,
Why don’t you take a shot at breaking the mission down into obstacles and turns right here. We’ll help.

Hmm…

Well, if the patrol is going to have any success in mediating between the two feuding families, I suppose the first thing they need to figure out is whether or not Gawen Outerbridge has actually kidnapped Digory Farnham. Presumably, they could either test Scout to sneak into the Outerbridge estate and find him in the cellar, or they could test Circles to find Tamsin, who knows. Good?

Not enough.

What’s the mission intro?
What’s the first obstacle? Is simple, complex or a conflict?
What’s a possible twist if they to overcome this obstacle?
What’s the second obstacle?
What’s a possible twist if they fail to overcome this obstacle?

After the obstacles and twists have been overcome, what are the possibilities for the Players’ Turn?

Ok, so this is the Mission Intro

While traveling through Ivydale (or another settlement of your choice) the patrol is approached by Tamsin, asking them for help. She informs the patrol of the feud between the two families and Digory Farnhams disappearence.

”If Digory Farnham is not returned to his father, it may ignite a savage and bloody feud between the Farnham and Outerbridge estates. We must not allow that to happen.”

Alternately, the patrol can be approached by Pipin Farnham, who demands the Guard take action against the Outerbridge family.

”I demand justice! The Outerbridge family is a blight upon the Territories! They must be punished! My son Digory is missing. How can there be any doubt the Outerbridges’ are to blame? You Guardsmice are good for nothing but talk! I shall only wait so long before I take action on my own!”

Someone in the patrol has a relationship to one of the involved characters, either Tamsin (daughter of wealthy mouse), or Pipin or Gawen (wealthy mice), or Digory (son of wealthy mouse gone missing).

My thought here is that time is against the patrol. Sooner or later, Pipin and Gawen will recruit some loyal henchmice and take to the streets. At that time, the patrol needs to mediate a peaceful conclusion or a lot of mice will be hurt. Basically, whatever information they can gather on the two families will give them an advantage during the diplomacy conflict.

The relationship should be personally involved in the feud, not just a bystander.

Corin can’t be the relationship. But the Digory, Tamsin or Gawen must be a relationship—either a friend, mentor or enemy.

Ok. It’s just that Gawen and Pipin are wealthy mice, and Tamsin and Digory are children of wealthy mice. What if none of my patrolmice have any relationships that matches these descriptions. Do I just forget about the situation? Isn’t preventing bloodshed enough of an incentive for brave Guardsmice to get involved, if someones asks them to?

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly of course that the mission would be better if they were. But shouldn’t I run with the idea even if they aren’t?

Change the mission to suit the characters. Your job as the GM is to test the mettle of the guardmice to see if they’re heroes. Your job is not to write stories about wealthy mice and their children.

I agree of course, but can’t a situation be compelling without a relationship character? Can’t their mettle be tested anyway?

Now, about the obstacles, how would you do it? I just read LaffinJoker’s “Boat Eater” must be stopped, and I found his Complex Obstacle to be pretty good. The players must succeed on a fixed amount of tests, but the tests themselves are not fixed. In the case of the Farnham Outerbridge feud, could the Conflict begin after they mice make a certain amount of tests? Indicating that each test takes some time, and after awhile Pipin looses his patience and goes to get revenge on Gawen.

How would you change the mission to suit my patrol if they don’t have a relationship that seems to fit?

I just read LaffinJoker’s “Boat Eater” must be stopped, and I found his Complex Obstacle to be pretty good. The players must succeed on a fixed amount of tests, but the tests themselves are not fixed. In the case of the Farnham Outerbridge feud, could the Conflict begin after they mice make a certain amount of tests? Indicating that each test takes some time, and after awhile Pipin looses his patience and goes to get revenge on Gawen.

If a mission doesn’t hit on the characters’ Beliefs and Instincts, or involve their relationships or hometowns, then there’s room for it to better fit the patrol.

Does the situation in Ivydale play on any of the characters’ Beliefs or Instincts?

Well, there really aren’t any yet. Character’s that is. I’m not sure I’ll get a group together to play. This is more of a “if, then” kind of thing. I haven’t really played a lot of Mouse Guard. I’d say, maybe three sessions spread out over a long time with new characters and players each time. I love the idea of the game though. I was hoping to come up with an interesting idea to challenge any players I might recruit.

Oh, that’s easy then!

When they’re building characters ask one of them to take the important NPC for their friend/enemy/mentor!

-L

The Farnham Outerbridge Feud

Background

Gawen Outerbridge’s son, Corin, is missing. Gawen believes Pipin Farnham is responsible. Gawen kidnaps Pipin’s son, Digory, as retribution and locks him in his cellar.

Gawen’s daughter, Tamsin, is in a romantic relationship with Digory. She wants to see him freed, but is afraid her father will suspect her involvement and hurt her.

Pipin Farnham has no proof but, correctly, assume Gawen Outerbridge has kidnapped his son. Pipin demands the Guard take action against Gawen Outerbridge.

Corin is dead. He was killed by a skunk trying to steal wild strawberries from the Farnhams’ land.

Mission Intro

While traveling through Ivydale (or another settlement of your choice) the patrol is approached by Pipin Farnham, who demands the Guard take action against the Outerbridge family.

”I demand justice! The Outerbridge family is a blight upon the Territories! They must be punished! My son Digory is missing. How can there be any doubt the Outerbridges’ are to blame? You Guardsmice are good for nothing but talk! I shall only wait so long before I take action on my own!”

Someone in the patrol has a relationship to one of the involved characters, either Tamsin (daughter of wealthy mouse), or Pipin or Gawen (wealthy mice), or Digory (son of wealthy mouse gone missing).

Mission: Gawen Outerbridge is accused of kidnapping Digory Farnham, and Pipin Farnham is anxious to start a fight if his son is not returned to him soon.

GM’s Turn

Hazard #1 – Investigation (Complex Hazard)

Gawen Outerbridge
Ob 4 Persuader/Deciever

The patrol goes to see Gawen at the Outerbridge estate. This is what he has to say on the following subjects:

Feud: ”Many years ago I brought my family here to avoid the crush of mice in Ironwood. Soon after we settled here, the Farnhams arrived. And they have been a plague upon my house ever since!”

Digory Farnham: ”I feel great sorrow at the young Farnham heir’s disappearance, but they are not the only family to suffer such a tragedy. The Territories is a dangerous place. I know nothing about his disappearance.”

P: ”Very well. I can see you are not the blubbering fools I first took you for. I have the Farnham boy, but I am well within my rights. My own son Corin has been missing for some time now. Surely, he and Digory share a similar fate. I will release Digory as soon as Pipin Farnham returns my son to me.” [Go to Pipin Farnham]

F: ”I brought my family here to find peace and safety – not to be harassed and treated like common criminals! Your Guard has no authority here, and I respectfully ask you to leave this property at once. I trust you will show yourselves out. If not, my security will be sure to deal with you.” [Go to Twist #1]

Twist #1
Ob 4 Circles

The patrol is approached by Gawen Outerbridge’s daughter, Tamsin.

”You are from the Guard, are you not? You’re looking for Digory Farnham? My name is Tamsin – Gawen is my father. He has not been himself since my brother Corin disappeared. He is mad with greif, and he is convinced the Farnhams are responsible. He is not thinking rationally.”

Digory Farnham: ”It is true what you have heard. My father has kidnapped Digory Farnham. He is holding him prisoner in the cellar. He feels this is a way to get back at the Farnhams, a way to get even for the disappearance of my brother Corin.”

P: ”You must understand that father has been under a terrible strain. I have no wish to disobey him, but there are matters where even my father’s authority is not absolute. Here, take this key; It will unlock the door to the cellar. Take it and get Digory out of here.” [Go to Pipin Farnham]

F: [Go to Twist #2]

Twist #2
Fighter vs Fighter 5/Scout vs Nature 5

”Since Corin went missing my father has become unstable, he might hurt Digory if you don’t rescue him at once. He no longer even cares if the Farnhams are responsible for what happened to Corin. I am afriad my father will simply kill Digory out of a mad, misguided lust for vengeance. Please, you must go to the cellar right away and get him out of here!”

Notice that if this twist is invoked, Tamsin does not possess the key to the cellar, and hired muscle guards the path. The patrol must either fight through the guards to get to Digory, or sneak their way past.

P: The patrol finds Digory and successfully extract him from the Outerbridge estate.

F: The patrol finds Digory and successfully extract him from the Outerbridge estate, but they get the Injured/Angry conditions.

Pipin Farnham
Ob 5 Scout

If asked about Corin, Pipin will deny any allegations, as he is innocent.

”I’m not surprised Gawen thinks I have him however, considering how much time his son spends on my land. I have told him numerous times to stay away, but that lad is a trouble maker. He comes here every now and then to steal my wild strawberries. They grow throughout my land but not on the Outerbridges’.”

Armed with this new information the patrol can test Scout to locate Corin.

P: The patrol finds a rucksack amidst some wild strawberry bushes, as well as signs of a struggle, blood, and large animal tracks. They conclude that he is dead.

F: Twist [Go to Twist #3]

Twist #3
Fight Animal Conflict

Corin has fallen victim of a hungry skunk wandering the countryside. Unfortunately for the patrol, it is still hungry, still in the area. The skunks goal is to eat the mice.

Skunk Nature 6
Waddling, Scavenging, Stubbornly Not Doing What You Want It to Do

Musk Spray - +3D to Maneuver, Missile

Assuming the entire patrol is not eaten by the skunk then, pass or fail, they move on to Hazard #2.

Hazard #2 – Diplomacy (Conflict)

Argument Conflict
Patrol vs Angry Mob

After either Digory has been saved, or proof of Corin’s death been discovered, Pipin and Gawen finally decide to take the feud to the streets. They rustle up all the muscle they can get and face each other in the middle of Ivydale.

The angry mob, consisting of Gawen and Pipin and all their supporters are itching for a fight. If the patrol does not succeed in calming them down, they will do battle, risking their own lives and those of unlucky bystanders.

Angry Mob Goal: ”This has gone on long enough; Time to settle this. Ivydale is only big enough for one of our families! We don’t want to hear any of your excuses; Now we will get revenge for your transgressions!”

Some things the angry mob will shout to each other and the patrol during the argument:

”You took my Corin long before I took your son. You started it!”
”Why should I listen to the Guard? If they had done their jobs my son would not have been eaten by predators!”
”It is your fault Gawen! You were always too violent for your own good!”
”ME? You were the one who rushed out here with your muscle!”
”Do not tell me what to do, Guardmouse! The Matriarch will hear of the trouble you caused here today!”

Player’s Turn

Possible things for the players to do during Players Turn:

[ul]
[li]Search for Corin (if he was not found during GM’s Turn)
[/li][/ul]

Edit: Woops! That flowchart is not entirely correct. Twist #1 is an Ob 4 Circles test, not Persuader/Deciever.