Monster NPCs?

Monster NPCs?
Hi,
I am in the process of setting up a TB game and the adventure calls for a Goblin shaman.

How is this best reflected mechanically? A monster with skills (or a unique Nature) or an NPC with a goblin nature?

Any opinions as to the best way to approach this?

If the latter, how would that work if our goblin shaman NPC had 4 regular goblin mooks with her in a conflict?

Cheers,
Rusty

NPCS with Goblin nature and different weapons.

I’ll go with a modified goblin monster, with unique weapons and/or special rules and maybe one nature descriptor to set it apart from other goblins.

Stay cool :cool:

Or, the crazytown way: Create goblin character stock, create goblin NPC with skills and traits.

I like to keep it simple and stick NPCs with Nature and descriptors.

If I have to stat up another NPC…

Thanks Folks!
It seems no consensus, but lazytown appeals over crazytown!
By which I mean an NPC with goblin Nature seems simplest (at the cost of the pregenerated conflict numbers/weapons).
Maybe I will mix it up a bit.
Thanks again!
Rusty

In the spirit of Christmas fun, Goblin Shaman.

Goblin Shaman
Small, filthy and incredibly ugly, most goblins live to lie, cheat, steal and murder. They prefer to victimize men, elves, humans and dwarves, but will happily turn their attentions upon each other if they have no other outlet. The shaman is often the most sickly and deranged of the tribe; the other goblins see these frailties as marks from their twisted and evil god. Sometimes, the derangement comes in the form of self-awareness …these goblins are soon killed and eaten while they contemplate existence, few*manage to flee into the night and live a solitary life.
Stock: Goblin
Class: Shaman
Order of Might: 3
Raw abilities: Will 5, Health 3
Skills: Ritualist 3, Dungeoneer 2, Alchemist 2, Cook 2, Fighter 2, Scavenger 2, Scout 2
Wise: Choose from Goblin-wise or Kaboom-wise. Choose another wise of your choice following the guidelines in the main book

Trait: Treacherous—Even these strange goblins have a black streak a mile wide. No matter their intentions, their words slip into deceit, their actions into treason. It’s like they can’t help themselves; the first thought in their heads is, “How do I get out of this?” and the second is, “.and screw over this guy?”

Starting weapon: Dagger
Starting armor: None

Nature: Stealing, Lying, Destroying

Goblin nature questions
When you see unattended belongings, is your first thought to take it for yourself?
• If you took it without thinking, increase Nature by 1.
•*If your first thought is to take it but you make sure nobody is looking, you may replace your home trait with Cautious.

When caught in a lie, how do you react?
•*If you would respond with another, better falsehood, then increase Nature by 1.
•*If your would respond with false contrition, please for forgiveness and ingratiating platitudes, you may replace your home trait with Shifty.

While walking through a forest at night, you come across a beautiful faery circle of softly glowing mushrooms, casting the woods in a pale blue glow…utterly serene and magical.
•*If you would kick, stomp and smash the circle apart, increase Nature by 1.
•*If you carefully pluck a mushroom from the ground and eat it, you may replace your home trait with Touched by the Gods.

Goblin Level Benefits (1-5)
Shaman: You may wield a dagger, sling, spear, or hand axe. You may use polearms and bows as improvised weapons. You may wear leather armor. You may not wear helmets or use shields. You suffer -1s in sunlight but no penalty in dim light.

You start with a prayer: Execration. You may not learn Fury of the Lords of Life and Death. You gain the ability to memorize Chaos prayers without a test. Memorizing Unaffiliated and Lawful prayers may be done with a Theologian test (good fucking luck with that). You gain a new prayer at each level as a Human Cleric. In lieu of a new prayer, you may learn to craft a malicious device.

Hobnail bomb: This explosive device is designed to shred leather armor and soft tissue. Treat as an additional Alchemist factor for making a weapon. Negates and damages leather armor. Against an unarmored target, grants +1s (in addition to any other effects).

Stinkbomb: This noxious device coats its victim in an oily residue that smells really fucking awful. Treat as an additional Alchemist factor for making a weapon. On a successful hit, the target cannot help or be helped for the rest of the conflict.

Smokebomb: This tricky device billows forth dark purple smoke. Treat as additional Alchemist factor for making a weapon. On a successful hit, all actions except for Defend and Feint are at -2s for one round.

Flashbomb: This tricky device explodes into brilliant white light, dazing everyone in the conflict. Treat as an additional Alchemist factor for making a weapon. On a successful hit, the goblin may change to a Flee conflict. Even if the action isn’t successful, the goblin impedes its opponent.

Mushroom Cloud: This trippy device causes vivid hallucinations in those effected. Treat as an additional Alchemist factor for making a weapon. On a successful hit, roll 1d6:

1: Bad trip—the victim drops anything being carried and spends the remaining round screaming in terror. The victim cannot help or take an action for one round. If acting alone, they’re at -1s as they fight on through the nightmare.
2: Confusion—the victim sees friends as enemies and enemies as friends. They shift sides in the conflict on the next action. If acting alone, they suffer -1s as they wonder why their allies are attacking them.
3: Double-vision—the victim cannot distinguish between reality and illusion. The next time they inflict damage, roll 1d6. One a 1-3, they hit an illusory target. On a 4-6 they inflict damage as normal.
4: Sleepytime—the victim passes out. Their remaining disposition is spread out amongst their allies. If acting alone, they suffer -1s as they stumble around in a stupor.
5: Imaginary friends—the victim is surrounded by an “army” of cartoon-like critters. For the next action, the victim has 1 disposition (any remaining dispo is distributed to the victim’s animal friends). If acting alone, they suffer -1s as they shout orders to their non-existing allies.
6: Bloodlust—the victim becomes enraged and gains the Angry condition. Their next action is changed to Attack. If a new round, they must choose Attack as their first action. If acting alone, same thing.

Yay! thanks Satan’s Claws, I mean Santa Claus!

This guy might see action tomorrow night!

Just to throw my hat in the ring – Jared’s writeup is awesome for a PC. For an NPC, I’d just stick with the Nature score.