More guidance on the 'No Weasels' rule

As I mentioned in another thread, I need more guidance on the ‘No Weasels’ rule. I’d like to receive examples of when you have applied it in play. What was the original circumstance and the obstacle you declared? How did the players respond? What alternatives did they suggest? At which point did you realize ‘No Weasels’ applied?

edit: [snipped]

One obstacle, one test for Skill. Not matter how many boats you want. (Or make a Conflict.)

No Weasels: One you, the GM, set the obstacle or obstacles, the player must roll the dice. If you suggest an alternate obstacle, the player must choose one of them. But once you say the numbers… it’s too late to retreat.

can you give examples of using it during one of your play sessions, please?

What was the mission obstacle here, as you presented it to them? Did you have something else in mind before the weather watcher made his test? Did you say that the puddle was blocking access to Shaleburrow, and ask them how they were going to get around it, to which the tenderpaw’s player replied that he would craft the boats?

yes.

edit: [snipped]

but what I’d like most of all is to hear others’ experience with invoking the ‘no weasels’ rule during their own games to compare examples

4 one-mouse boats or one 4-mouse boat, still one test. I would use the same difficulty, regardless of the choice. Be careful with this one or soon your baker will be feeding an entire city one die-roll at a time :o

If the mice want to succeed without costs, they should make with the helping.

but what I’d like most of all is to hear others’ experience with invoking the ‘no weasels’ rule during their own games to compare examples

To the boat situation - this is absolutely a No Weasels situation. You had presented a problem, and set the “prime” obstacle for passing it. They could propose alternate means of getting across, but not try to wiggle around it.

We generally have not had to invoke it much because we’re prone to that playstyle already, so I don’t have a lot of examples at hand. It’s very simple, though: once the GM has said “you must test X at Y obstacle” the players either need to propose using ability Z somehow or make the test. Anything else is being a weasel.

Hey Ken, I appreciate your frustration with the uncharacteristically vague answers, but that’s no cause to be rude. Everyone here is trying to help. Please accept their charity in the spirit it is given.

-Luke

Same here. I’m trying to think of an example where we had to cite the rule. We just don’t try to weasel vey much.

Today, I said to my fellow players: “You must to infiltrate Flintrust. How do you pretend to do that?” They suggested go to Willowroot and buy a cart, and then pretend to be merchants before the town guards. They considered other options, but finaly they decided to do that. I decided to make it two tests, a Resources test and a Deceiver Test. I gave them the obstacles and then they threw the dice.

Note: You should have seen Saxon pretending to be a woman and faking his voice. It was hilarious. Obviously, his great enemy Roarke the Smith showed up and ruined everything. :slight_smile:

I don’t intend rudeness. I apologize to the forum for that impression.

I want to refocus the thread on the principle and application of the rule rather than one single experience some six weeks ago. I took time on my own to revise how I might address a similar situation in the future, but still want to better understand the principle of ‘no weasels’ and read how others have applied it when needed.