More on craft skills

Split from this thread: https://www.burningwheel.com/forum/showthread.php?9191-The-Lute-Player-Case-(Artist-Skill-) - stormy

Well, yes, I agree… but couldn’t that be said for all the trade/profession skills too?

Nope. Not if there’s a skill listed.

well, only in the sense that one could play having very few trade/craft skills and simply run Beginner’s Luck tests until having learned enough about that skill OR run Nature tests until becoming overly taxed. So, yes, using a skill for a purposeful intent is worthy of a test; and no, using a skill to demonstrate having that skill is not a purposeful test. As a GM, I can allow players wide latitude for describing the implementation of skills in trades or crafts without requiring dice to hit the table and outlining the risk of failure. In fact, that’s much of how a player would narrate a Helper support–that is, they describe the use of their supporting skill without rolling a die to determine whether they actually implement the skill. Also, those Helper offers can be limited in scope or effectiveness while a test of the skill could be more definitive at the risk of Success w/ Condition or Twist.

So, it’s true of all trade/craft skills as well as true for Abilities and social skills, or other skills. The key in respect to performance is whether that added value of separate instruments (including voice and dance) generates improved gameplay. If by chance you are running a campaign of performers and intend to use those performances for facing obstacles, that would be a case in which homebrewed skills to reflect the instruments of performance (or at least a performance skill) may provide added value. If the case is one member of the patrol takes interest in performing, that is better reflected by gear and wises with a healthy dose of Orator.

Suddenly I want to write a Wayne’s World hack.

I agree that the artist or musician skill isn’t needed and I even like that other skills are broad enough to use for that purpose and more based on intent.
My argument is that a musician or artist trade would be just as defining or applicable in the game as would glazier or cook for example. Wouldn’t it? So being able to add custom trades in RAI would make sense to me as all trades that fit the setting and genre would be just as character defining and useful in the game and story as any other. Not just for artist or musician, but trades in general.

I agree that the artist or musician skill isn’t needed and I even like that other skills are broad enough to use for that purpose and more based on intent.
My argument is that a musician or artist trade would be just as defining or applicable in the game as would glazier or cook for example. Wouldn’t it? So being able to add custom trades in RAI would make sense to me, as all trades that fit the setting and genre would be just as character defining and useful in the game and story as any other. Not just for artist or musician, but trades in general.

My argument is that a musician or artist trade would be just as defining or applicable in the game as would glazier or cook for example. Wouldn’t it? So being able to add custom trades in RAI would make sense to me as all trades that fit the setting and genre would be just as character defining and useful in the game and story as any other. Not just for artist or musician, but trades in general.

I get it, but I’d say Glazier is a listed skill. You can say whatever you want about being a Glazier, but as soon as you say you’re making a medium sized vessel, I’m calling for an OB 2 Glazier test. If you don’t have the skill, it’s Beginner’s Luck.

MouseGuardianOfTheGalaxy,

Glad to have you here, but please try to avoid threadcromancy in the future!

The thread was one of the top ones, wasn’t it?.. I see now that even the last posts in the threads on page one is a few months old. Sorry, didn’t know.

The thread was one of the top ones, wasn’t it?.. I see now that even the last posts in the threads on page one is a few months old. Sorry, didn’t know…
The forum might need a little cpr though.

The thread was one of the top ones, wasn’t it?.. I see now that even the last posts in the threads on page one is a few months old. Sorry, didn’t know…
The forum might need a little cpr :stuck_out_tongue: