MouseGuard 2ed - Full A4 Extended Character Sheet

Hi MouseGuard forumists.

I’m just about to start up a new group (new to MouseGuard and to RPGs).
We’ve spent two evenings making characters, chatting about them, presenting and toying with ideas for how the characters behave, relate and might do going forward.

Since it’s a new group one might think skipping a lot of that would be a good thing - to not have too much to keep your mind on.
But, it turns out, in order for them all to feel secure and confident (and excited!) about the game (and RP’ing in general) - they really appreciated this deep dive into the lore and the setup.

From that, I’ve made a new character sheet.
It was long due.

I’ve essentially used an excel sheet for character creation with tables to get a balance between the player’s own ideas, and a bit randomness to help spur new ideas, and go in directions they wouldn’t have thought of themselves.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktnvy6m2q3g9tx7/MG_2ed_CharacterCreation_antroia_v1.xlsx?dl=0

In addition to that I’ve also made a full A4 character sheet - with all the stats on the front, and all contacts, family, friends etc on the back.
Low Res: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4g2dvvg7kq02uo/MG_2ed_CS_antroia_v1_low.pdf?dl=0
Medium Res: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzznrylk9awv18v/MG_2ed_CS_antroia_v1_med.pdf?dl=0
High Res: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf2uy5bi2vlwgin/Mouseguard_2ed_CharacterSheet_antroia_hd.pdf?dl=0

Jpg’s:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh811hk4rra69f2/MG_2ed_CS_Front_antroia_v1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6w4m4hdpt005pk/MG_2ed_CS_Back_antroia_v1.jpg?dl=0

I will test it in my upcoming campaign - but if anyone else wants to use it - feel free to test it out.
Any feedback is very welcome (and so is spelling corrections or suggestions on better formulated texts).

Into the wild we go!

Ps. Also, if this should be in another subthread on the forum instead of here - Admins, feel free to move it Ds.

2 Likes

I really like your character sheets! Thanks a lot!

Simply brilliant character sheets.
Well done!

I think if the group is willing to do it, covering some ground rules/expectations/fleshing out characters is a great idea. How has the group gone since your post?

We’ve played our first session now and it went well.
For me as a GM, I have to fit a session into a better time span - it’s easy to drag out on some obstacles and add dice rolls (probably because I come form more traditional RPGs where every little detail is rolled for).

We got into a lot of teamwork though - and the fleshed out characters really got to shine. Every character/player had a situation or scene where they could play on their view/strength/weakness.

With a five-players group though, it’s tough to give everyone an opportune moment to roll for the group. I got four out of five engaged in the rolls, and one was a bit off in her skillset for the situations that came up (she still got to assists though - and Roleplay).

The new sheets worked well though - and the “draw your mouse” section, which I changed to have a “from behind” in addition to the front illustration, really helped. Since it’s meant to depict what you’re carrying, some mice DO have backpacks or sheaths strapped over the back.

For the characters - and our sitdown to get to know their backstories - this is the resulting group (stats are AFTER their first session):

Elymme (Ellie) – Patrol Leader
RANK: Guard Mouse • WEAPON: Knife • SPECIALTY: Weather Watcher
HOMETOWN: Whitepine • FUR: Dark Brown • AGE: Young (20, but experienced)
NOTES: Got captured by weasels during the war. Led a breakout with a few survivors (see “Vei” below)
Since the war made the Guard lose a lot of good mice, Gwendolyn have had to promote younger mice to the role of Patrol Leaders.
Elymme’s resolve during the weasel war proved she could handle the responsibility.
PERSONALITY: Slightly judgmental of class. Trying to look “of higher class” than she is.

BELIEF: “All mice have inner greatness – and the Guard will bring it forth”
INSTINCT: “When overlooked – I seize any opportunity to rise in rank”

CLOAK: Purple-Blue (shimmering) cloak with an ornamental pattern

ABILITIES: Nature 4 • Will 3 • Health 5 • Resources 4 • Circles 4
SKILLS:
I. -
II. Survivalist 4 • Weather Watcher 3 • Hunter 3
III. Fighter 2 • Healer 2 • Weaver 2 • Militarist 2 • Orator 2
WISES: Plantwise • Tunnelwise
TRAITS: Innocent (I) • Scarred (I)

Fara – Hare Rider
RANK: Patrol Guard • WEAPON: Sling & Pebbles • SPECIALTY: Pathfinder
HOMETOWN: Rootwallow • FUR: Dark Brown • AGE: Young (21)
NOTES: Was in the war as a successful strategist. Was against her father joining (and was distraught when he died in the war). Was social, now saves up and goes home to care for her widowed mother. Spends time at Lockhaven’s insect stables, or with the hares. Most often rides Rager, a young hare.
PERSONALITY: Idealist. Was more of a leader, strategist and loved being social – but changed to be a bit more of a loner, more focused on tasks at hand, after her father’s death.

BELIEF: “All mice are worth fighting for”
INSTINCT: “Lack of praise for my actions makes me spiteful”

CLOAK: Azure Blue, light cloak (not to get in the way), with a chain strap and locket of parents.

ABILITIES: Nature 5 • Will 4 • Health 4 • Resources 5 • Circles 4
SKILLS:
I. -
II. Fighter 4 • Instructor 3 • Pathfinder 3
III. Scout 2 • Weather Watcher 2 • Orator 2 • Carpenter 2 • Glazier 2 • Insectrist 2
WISES: Warwise • Harewise
TRAITS: Early riser (I) • Stoic (I)

Vei – Science Mouse
HOMETOWN: Lillygrove • FUR: Dark Grey • AGE: Experienced (47, disregarded)
NOTES: Joined the Guard for its resources and access to great projects. Was captured and tortured during the war. Had given up on life, but was rescued (and motivated) by Ellie (see above).
PERSONALITY: A loner. Focuses on their own interests. Don’t care about other’s opinion. Don’t understand the concept of status and bragging.

BELIEF: “Action or inaction is meaningless – Only knowledge has meaning”
INSTINCT: “When facing pure fear – I act without thinking!”

CLOAK: Hooded, thick (and somewhat fuzzy) copper-colored cloak

ABILITIES: Nature 4 • Will 4 • Health 4 • Resources 3 • Circles 2
SKILLS:
I. –
II. Scientist 4 • Fighter 3 • Healer 3 • Survivalist 3
III. Archivist 2 • Brewer 2 • Persuader 2 • Scout 2
WISES: Medicinewise • Scentborderwise
TRAITS: Short (I) • Determined (I)

Felicity (Fell) – Mentor
HOMETOWN: Ivydale • FUR: White and Spotty Beige • AGE: Young (25)
NOTES: Someone got hurt/arrested in her group of friends, and Fell left to get away. Wanted to leave everything and walked out into Wild Country. She saw the horrors outside the Territories (realising the importance of the Guard and society), got rescued by her oldfur Mentor (Nathaniel) and grew interested in the Guard. Never got to be in the war, but wanted to. Was given Nathaniel’s shield, and now mentors Rin.
PERSONALITY: Blunt, no-nonsense. Has seen terrible things and is a straight-forward do-er. Sees potential in chaos and manipulation, as well as honesty and bravery.

BELIEF: “The Guard stands above Mouse Society”
INSTINCT: “Negotiation is a waste of time – I know best, and I will act!”

CLOAK: Used to be Deep Green, but is kept so dirty that it’s almost brown, cracked (and quite stiff)

ABILITIES: Nature 4 • Will 3 • Health 5 • Resources 4 • Circles 2
SKILLS:
I. Fighter 5
II. Survivalist 4 • Laborer 3
III. Healer 2 • Hunter 2 • Scout 2 • Persuader 2 • Baker 2 • Laborer 2 • Smith 2
WISES: Wild Country wise
TRAITS: Hard worker (I) • Tough (I)

Rin – Tenderpaw
HOMETOWN: Dawnrock • FUR: Dark Brown • AGE: Child (17)
NOTES: Worked at father’s tavern, brewing ale, but mostly listening to stories, making the guests talk (gossip, and great stories). Understands mice and is a social chameleon. Mother used Rin for scams and deceiving other mice. Father had to pay when Rin got arrested. (Why can’t he see mother’s flaws?) Left and joined the Guard to repair father’s disappointment.
PERSONALITY: Thinks they know about the world (but doesn’t). Wants to prove oneself to father. Is naïve in the face of danger. Balances the mother’s manipulative, and father’s good-hearted side.

BELIEF: “The Guard should be respected and revered by all”
INSTINCT: “When pressured – I sacrifice moral for quick results”

CLOAK: Rough and sturdy, Deep Grey, plain woven cloak (temporary)

ABILITIES: Nature 3 • Will 2 • Health 6 • Resources 1 • Circles 1
SKILLS:
I. -
II. Scout 3 • Persuader 3 • Haggler 3
III. Deceiver 2 • Haggler 2 • Loremouse 2 • Fighter 2 • Pathfinder 2 • Brewer 2
WISES: Legend of the Guard-wise • Birdwise
TRAITS: Stubborn (I) • Quickwitted (I) • Clever (I)

It helps to use PC’s+1 encounters in the GM phase … I used an extra Environment and extra weather for a 6 player group, and it worked REALLY well. It does, however, lengthen the game.

True. So, I’m thinking of trying to stay with the basic 2 known obstacles, 1 unknown, and 1-2 possible twists if something goes wrong - but making sure at least ONE obstacle is complex, requiring multiple rolls, preferably by different mice.

I kind of did that on our latest (first) adventure.

It was Spring 1150, one year after the Weasel War, and the guard had to rise from being severly decimated.
Old outposts and collaborations with villages and cities had been neglected due to the war - and the guard had to ensure the citizens of the Territories that the guard isn’t there to rule – that power was handed back to the sovreign cities after the conscription of the war.

So first mission was a pretty basic one: The patrol had to clear a path to a nearby city and locate an old Mouseguard Outpost (WindFir) in the woods nearby. It had been neglected and out of use since before the war, but was a vital resting place and message center for Patrols out in the field (who don’t have time to get back to Lockhaven).

I had the following obstacles:

1. clear a path from Lockhaven to village (and locate the nearby outpost)
    2a) negotiate a deal with the nearby village to help supply and support the outpost
    2b) repair the outpost and bring it back to working order

2a & b could be done in any order: go straight to outpost and fix it up, then negotiate a lasting supply deal (and possibly help with repairs), or head to the village first to get a lasting deal - and then fix up the outpost to working order on their own.

1. Twist: delays would change weather to cold spring rain
    The rain would both pose a problem on outdoors tests, but it would also mean that the Possum family who’d used (and trashed) the outpost during winter would still seek shelter inside. This was not mean as a full-blown Conflict though. They could trap or threaten it to scare the Possums away.

What turned into a flaw with the setup for me was that both 2a and 2b was constructed as complex obstacles, with as many as 3-5 rolls each (waaay too many!)
2a) was a persuade, but success/support could be boosted by helping the village with a multitude of shores (to get odder rolls like scientist, glazier, laborer, carpenter, weaver, instructor in there)
However, 2b) was similar, with multiple rolls to fix up the leaking roof, set traps and warning systems around the perimeter, to rebuild a wall and to clean out Possum dirt.

I misjudged the time all those small rolls would take, especially with (I’m happy to say) an RP-heavy/interested group. They wanted to talk and set scenes a lot, which was lovely.

So next time: one less complex obstacle, and far fewer rolls IN a complex obstacle.
:slight_smile:

Here are some thoughts about the potential growth over sessions which would deepen these characters

Elymme (Ellie) – Patrol Leader
RANK: Guard Mouse • WEAPON: Knife • SPECIALTY: Weather Watcher
HOMETOWN: Whitepine • FUR: Dark Brown • AGE: Young (20, but experienced)

That age is very young; I’m surprised this player didn’t use the recruitment pattern for Patrol Leader from the outset in order to have a better illustration of the leadership experience that justifies the role as Ptl Ldr.

NOTES: Got captured by weasels during the war. Led a breakout with a few survivors (see “Vei” below)
Since the war made the Guard lose a lot of good mice, Gwendolyn have had to promote younger mice to the role of Patrol Leaders.
Elymme’s resolve during the weasel war proved she could handle the responsibility.
PERSONALITY: Slightly judgmental of class. Trying to look “of higher class” than she is.

BELIEF: “All mice have inner greatness – and the Guard will bring it forth”
INSTINCT: “When overlooked – I seize any opportunity to rise in rank”

The personality is an enticing contrast to the Belief, so I would anticipate the Belief must grow toward more outward attitudes once a sense of inward greatness is developing into a habit (or destiny); the statement itself doesn’t really speak to why this drives the individual choices, so I would anticipate a written statement that seems to ooze with community outreach, charitable mentorship to underserved or underrepresented youth, or recruiting. If the Guard brings forth greatness, the decisions of this Guard member should abound with examples of inspiration and aspiration to showcase that greatness. The Instinct is overwrought. That’s not an easy trigger to use for a GM or other players, and it isn’t a frequent situational scene; encourage a trigger - action model that will be available to GM and fellow players which can be highlighted in every session. I’d say the biggest quandry here is, “Really?! You’re going to seek opportunity to rise in rank in every session of the campaign?”.

Fara – Hare Rider
RANK: Patrol Guard • WEAPON: Sling & Pebbles • SPECIALTY: Pathfinder
HOMETOWN: Rootwallow • FUR: Dark Brown • AGE: Young (21)

Also quite young.

NOTES: Was in the war as a successful strategist. Was against her father joining (and was distraught when he died in the war). Was social, now saves up and goes home to care for her widowed mother. Spends time at Lockhaven’s insect stables, or with the hares. Most often rides Rager, a young hare.
PERSONALITY: Idealist. Was more of a leader, strategist and loved being social – but changed to be a bit more of a loner, more focused on tasks at hand, after her father’s death.

BELIEF: “All mice are worth fighting for”
INSTINCT: “Lack of praise for my actions makes me spiteful”

I think this personality and notes clearly shows who should be assigned as Patrol Leader; in fact, if given an opportunity, I’d have a reassignment of Patrol Leader duties to this Ptl Grd with the distinct instruction to grow into the role and grow out of the mourning and depression. That’s not easy, and it’s probably not empathetic to the experience of loss, but might be needed to place the patrol under more strategic leadership.

The Belief is supportive of Ellie’s Belief and would create a good collaboration toward community outreach, mentorship, and modeling leadership. In addition, this invites mission assignments in which the defense of disparate or contrasting foes reflects the challenge of this belief. As an aside, a potential growth may lie in an inward reflection of combating the loneliness by a willingness to fight for a former life as a social, light(er)-hearted leader such as in a statement like, “I’m worth fighting for.”

The Instinct is actually very actionable although a bit dark-hearted. I would at least encourage a more conditional trigger than “for my actions,” into something specific such as “for my strategies.” The intent is to really drill down to what makes the spitefulness more pointed toward the actual slight rather than just any lack of praise; as-is, it could be used as a tantrum whenever the spotlight of praise moves to some other mouse.

Vei – Science Mouse
HOMETOWN: Lillygrove • FUR: Dark Grey • AGE: Experienced (47, disregarded)

actually nothing to say here.

NOTES: Joined the Guard for its resources and access to great projects. Was captured and tortured during the war. Had given up on life, but was rescued (and motivated) by Ellie (see above).
PERSONALITY: A loner. Focuses on their own interests. Don’t care about other’s opinion. Don’t understand the concept of status and bragging.

BELIEF: “Action or inaction is meaningless – Only knowledge has meaning”
INSTINCT: “When facing pure fear – I act without thinking!”

This description of notes and personality are a fair description for a Ptl Grd; however, surely this rank requires a Guard member whose focus is on the missions and objectives of the Matriarch rather than personal interests exclusively; in fact, given an opportunity, I might have the Matriarch frequently accounting for the trust and authority offered to this Ptl Grd and possibly considering a reduction of rank to Grdms until those interests are properly aligned with the rank description. Having a loner is a challenge in a collaborative patrol, so that sense of lonesome veteran might need to be targeted toward certain situations, like maybe a loner in regards to medical science, but generally tolerable about other topics.

The Belief isn’t bad, but it isn’t very specific to this mouse’s experiences and doesn’t seem very actionable. It might be easy to challenge, but I think it sounds hollow and lifeless. I’d expect this grows to illustrate how knowledge has brought about a meaningful life. Just off-the-cuff, I’d suggest, “My knowledge of the inner life of the mind is meaningful to all mice regardless of vocation.” I would encourage the player to consider the book by Victor Frankl, “Man’s Search for Meaning,” to get an idea of how the torture experience may have brought this mouse around to a sense of “knowledge has meaning.” The descriptions of concentration camp life, survivor mindset, and purposeful suffering could add immense depth to the BIGs for this mouse.

The Instinct is really problematic and needs some overhaul. First, the trigger stated is a feeling, which generally is left to the player; I don’t often tell a player what their character is feeling. I think that sense of emotional response belongs to the player, so the trigger only comes up if the Player admits the Character is feeling fear. Otherwise, the GM is taking ownership (momentarily) of that emotional response and declaring by proxy what a PC feels–I’d say that’s dangerous grounds. It also excludes other players from inducing the trigger–they also shouldn’t grab autonomy of another PC to declare the emotional response. Second, the action is very vague; instead, require that be more specific, “What action do you take without thinking?” This could be run away w/o thinking, write in my journal w/o thinking, lash out w/o thinking, go steal from others w/o thinking, etc. That’s troubling; because, it is unpredictable–the player might as well roll a die to determine the thoughtless action. Further, this makes the Instinct a chore to clean up after rather than a mannerism to provide some color and vibrance to the mouse.

Felicity (Fell) – Mentor
HOMETOWN: Ivydale • FUR: White and Spotty Beige • AGE: Young (25)

That’s a bit young as a mentor, as the text encourages this as a mouse with the Trait Oldfur or of Ptl Ldr rank.

NOTES: Someone got hurt/arrested in her group of friends, and Fell left to get away. Wanted to leave everything and walked out into Wild Country. She saw the horrors outside the Territories (realising the importance of the Guard and society), got rescued by her oldfur Mentor (Nathaniel) and grew interested in the Guard. Never got to be in the war, but wanted to. Was given Nathaniel’s shield, and now mentors Rin.
PERSONALITY: Blunt, no-nonsense. Has seen terrible things and is a straight-forward do-er. Sees potential in chaos and manipulation, as well as honesty and bravery.

BELIEF: “The Guard stands above Mouse Society”
INSTINCT: “Negotiation is a waste of time – I know best, and I will act!”

This Belief needs more. It’s a bit hard to describe exactly what I mean, but I think the more it needs is more personal meaning. As-is, this seems like an elitist stance that all Guard are above Society–does that include being above the law of settlements? It’s kinda too high and mighty, but that doesn’t harmonize with the notes and personality. From those notes, I’d guess the mouse feels social structures and civic order are a boon to mice, so the Guard must protect and support society and settlements. Also, this seems an easy excuse to stand aside from protecting and supporting non-Guard mice; what about relationships? Should the Guard be more readily and willingly valued, protected, supported, and treated than settlement mice or wild mice? Although it derives some good questions, these feel like bludgeons to force the player to care about “lesser” or “other” figures. I’d rather that players write a Belief that is about living upright and the GM places the ne’er-do-wells, scamps, scoundrels, tramps, vagabonds in need of help saying, “Do you really believe even these deserve your upright conduct?” So, I think the Belief needs more; hopefully, I’ve clarified myself well enough.

The Instinct is trouble. I don’t think the value statements of “waste of time,” or “best” are a good contribution in this statement, so I’d pull those away from the Instinct and leave value statements for the Belief. Also, the trigger is a bit vague–haggling for food, settling a dispute, mediating a treaty, settling borders, developing research, debating philosophy, etc. All such examples of negotiation could be a trigger, so I’d expect this trigger needs some specificity. The response is very vague and double edged; first, I know and I act means the player has to illustrate multiple responsiveness, and there may be many cases in which the mouse doesn’t know and/or cannot simply avoid the negotiation. Both are vague and often inaccurate. Further, the action isn’t specific, and should be. In fact, the action might be, “I’m going to haggle this out,” or, “I’m going to convince the opposing mouse I’m right.” So, that could lead to the strange scene of, “Negotiation is a waste, I know the right stuff, and I’m going to negotiate to convince others I’m right and to do as I say; however, negotiation is a waste, so …” That’s a circular contradiction. In theater it’s irony, but in roleplay, it’s foolish and time consuming. I’d insist on a rewritten Instinct with trigger - action model with specifics and eliminate value statements.

CLOAK: Used to be Deep Green, but is kept so dirty that it’s almost brown, cracked (and quite stiff)

I didn’t mention anything for other cloaks, but this seems incongruent with the notes and personality. If this mouse feels the Guard is such an important societal support and buffer against the horrors of Wild Country life, I might suspect this mouse places some energy on the symbol of the Guard to keep it tidy (at least). And, if this mouse is a straight-forward do-er I’d suspect soem discipline for cleanliness. Perhaps the impression is, “I’m so occupied with important matters, I couldn’t possibly spend time cleaning a cloak,” but I think it rather comes across as, “I’m so consumed by what I decide is most important that I don’t spend time to think of what’s important to the Guard.”

Rin – Tenderpaw
HOMETOWN: Dawnrock • FUR: Dark Brown • AGE: Child (17)
NOTES: Worked at father’s tavern, brewing ale, but mostly listening to stories, making the guests talk (gossip, and great stories). Understands mice and is a social chameleon. Mother used Rin for scams and deceiving other mice. Father had to pay when Rin got arrested. (Why can’t he see mother’s flaws?) Left and joined the Guard to repair father’s disappointment.
PERSONALITY: Thinks they know about the world (but doesn’t). Wants to prove oneself to father. Is naïve in the face of danger. Balances the mother’s manipulative, and father’s good-hearted side.

BELIEF: “The Guard should be respected and revered by all”
INSTINCT: “When pressured – I sacrifice moral for quick results”

This is a really good Tenderpaw mouse and the Belief is a great show of how much the notes and personality are driving the motivation; “if the Guard should be respected and revered, father should respect me for joining.” That’s really well aligned and harmonizes with the overall concept. The Instinct is a good trigger - action model. It could be improved with some specificity about the pressure. But, it can be triggered by GM and fellow players, it gives autonomy to the player, and tells something predictable which relates to the notes and personality that form the concept. There is room for growth of both Belief and Instinct over time, but there are many avenues of challenge which are both personal and salient to many missions. My only questionis why the Tenderpaw has a Specialty; that’s not a step for Tenderpaw in the Recruitment process.

On another note, I see that these mice come from cities not listed in Recruitment; what was the method of selecting the hometown Skill and Trait?

I also like to use complex obstacles to allow for more tests and provide more players access to be involved in advancing skills, but I don’t tend to have complex obstacles beyond 2 tests. Rarely, I use 3 tests, but never 4 or more tests. Each roll of dice is introducing risk, so just saying, “I’ve got something I can do,” isn’t always adding to the risk. Settle on a few key leverage points and let the added Helpers mitigate risks rather than having many actors risking much for each task.

There are a few ways to help reduce the tests in a complex obstacle. Here’s my shortlist:

• What is the most important task and intent to accomplish? Other skills and wises are great Helpers for that core task.
  • What is a valuable, yet unexpected, supporting task and intent? This may be a good Success w/ Condition risk before or after the primary test.
  • What can be moved to Player Turn tests based on time, supplies, or Conflict? Let’s use these as Player Turn suggestions.

Here’s an example of 2a from a certain point of view:

• Primarily this is a Persuader/Manipulator test to get a politician, patrician, partisan, or influential socialite to agree this outpost needs support from the settlement.
  • A Haggler or Resources test is a supporting task to get the pantry or shed stocked right away and make a show of friendly intentions and compensation.
  • Possibly, the patrol could use Orator to rally many petty merchants, community elites, or others to support the outpost instead of Persuader/Manipulator.
  • Possibly, the patrol could attempt Harvester or Nature: Foraging to gather food or useful stuff to stock the pantry or shed with assistance from the settlement laborers.

That makes 2 tests which can gain from various Helpers and some possible alternates which would easily gain Helpers.

Here’s an example of 2b from a certain point of view:

• The structure needs repairs, but the patrol should focus; choose Carpenter to repair the roofing, rafters, and stairs or Stonemason to repair the walls, foundation, and defenses.
  • The wild animals have been accustomed to this lair, so you’ll need Hunter to harass, set snares or traps, and establish a territorial presence such as by scent, warning signs, or observers.
  • Sharing the work is critical, so a possible Administrator test keeps everyone working together effectively and productively; otherwise, as a Helper this is still a boon.
  • Having the work done right is essential, so a possible Instructor Helper is required for those without Carpenter/Stonemason; otherwise, only those who know can contribute.

That makes 2 tests which can gain from a small list of Helpers, and has some possible alternates.

Part of this is that the test comprises many of the tasks that must be completed; for example, the one Carpenter test handles all the roofing, rafters, and stairs instead of having a series of three tests to manage each portion individually and exclusively. This reduces the number of tests and number of risky opportunities for injury, fatigue, anger, or other Conditions.

Later, a Player Turn review could lead to some additional actions:
2a: Administrator to arrange a settlement support budget; Haggler to reduce prices or curry favors; and really plenty could come to mind (I’m a bit sleepy, but honestly this list could become very lengthy).
2b: Pathfinder to establish the trail between settlement and outpost; Survivalist to establish surrounding encampments for visiting patrols; Loremouse to work on relationships with local wild animals; and this list could also go on for a lengthy number of examples.

Pushing those sideline items into the Player Turn encourages players to think of whether the simple Helper really solved everything they wanted to accomplish. Like the Loremouse idea: a player might suggest that in the GM Turn, and you could say, “That’s a good plan, and maybe the patrol would prefer that over the Hunter intent; however, it is also a valid Helper for the Hunter test and you can later use a Check to have a Loremouse test for doing more.”

A Skill being tested can always get better results than that of a skill offering a Helper die, but that doesn’t always mean that a skill being tested is better suited for all intents. During the GM Turn, the Hunter test is a better choice; because, it can reflect dealing with many wild animals seeking to disrupt the outpost, but Loremouse would result in only dealing with one animal. As a Helper, it could be specifically related to understanding how to deter the Possum, then in the Player Turn it could be shifted to making a negotiated deal with the Possum family. So, that choice of whether to induce risk during GM Turn or Player Turn relates to the desired results, scope of results, and timeline required for completion.

A wide-eyed thank you to all of these reflections and ideas.

I’ll go through some of the specific character choices and BIGs soon, since I realize there is background story for the characters that might not have come across as I wrote the short notes.

Beliefs and Instincts are tough to get right (me only having run one MG group before this, and this being a fresh RP-group).
Any help in tweaking those to get them into more actionable state will be appreciated. I don’t want to write them FOR the players, so we’ve been talking ideas and then shaping them together.

I know I run a young group. Partially that came out of recruitment rolls (see bottom), but it also came out of this being a young and inexperienced player group. I deliberately placed the timespan close to the Weasel war to motivate and reflect WHY a group of so young, and disparate mice would be entrusted with missions.

The Leader
Gwendolyn has given Elymme the leader position KNOWING that Fara will back her up with her strategic and war experience. She is the trusted number 2. Fara would probably have been the leader (and we talked about it in the group) if it weren’t for the fact that her trauma is still very fresh. She went from a strong soldier in the war, caring about her troops, to losing her father and becoming very dependable to her mother. So Gwendolyn sees her as a strong guide, but couldn’t trust her to take on a full Patrol of this size until she has cleared up some of her issues (personal growth).

The Mentor
Yes, Fell is extremely young to be mentoring - but, she was the only one who actually don’t judge the dual aspects of Rin. In essense, they share some common values and she is encouraging a good use even of the darker aspects of Rin’s backstory. Also, Fell having recently BEEN that young, anarchistic mouse, but set straight by her to-be-mentor Nathaniel (who actually started mentoring her even before she joined the guard… that whole Wild Country backstory has more to it).
A young mouse forced to take personal responsibility for another, younger mouse, is a reflection of the unorthodox times the Territories found themselves in after the war.

The Loner
Vei is old, but not really a loner as in the introvert sense. She doesn’t hate other mice - she just has a bit (a lot!) of asberger’s syndrome and focuses on a few nerdy subject intensely. If she finds someone else who likes those things, or if she finds someone doing something she is interested in learning, she is really (factually) social.

Last session this played out during the Players’ Turn where she went into Shaleburrow to find some of the stonemasons shaping the cool storage caves in the rock bed. This, because she’d heard about this phenomenon during the Patrol’s visit in the mission, and now wanted to learn more about it.

Complex Obstacles
Your tips on setting up complex obstacles are great.

Q: When you play, do you generally hint to the group of which details of a mission won’t be in the GM’s Turn, and what is expected to be handled later in Players’ Turn?

So far, I’ve been playing trying to manage most mission requirements in GM’s turn, except if failure pushes things out. But from reading this, I’m thinking that I deliberately want to tell them as we start of the (known) elements that are meant to be “extra-curricular” activity in the P Turn.

We had a slightly awkward P Turn in last session, because they didn’t have many conditions, and were kind of done with their duty. So, at least for THIS group, I might actually prefer being clear about those things. My former, more RP-savvy group, handled P Turns easily and always had ideas of things they wanted to do to expand on their characters’ stories.

Tenderpaw Specialty
The Tenderpaw having a Specialty is a mistake by me going through the process of recruitment.

Recruitment
Regarding their hometowns, I’ve created a roll sheet that widens and feeds different properties into character creation. It is built to make players play characters they originally hadn’t thought of, by (instead of deciding everything) using association and storytelling to string together factors or choices generated by chance:
Dropbox / MG_RecruitmentProcess.xlsx

I’ve had really positive results coming out of that process.

I agree that BIGs are a challenge to learn. I like most of all seeing the growth from session-by-session play. I have seen some groups that have frequent changes and groups that have slow changes. When I act as a player, I try to grow the Belief every session, and the Instinct every few sessions.

Complex Obstacles
Your tips on setting up complex obstacles are great.

Q: When you play, do you generally hint to the group of which details of a mission won’t be in the GM’s Turn, and what is expected to be handled later in Players’ Turn?

So far, I’ve been playing trying to manage most mission requirements in GM’s turn, except if failure pushes things out. But from reading this, I’m thinking that I deliberately want to tell them as we start of the (known) elements that are meant to be “extra-curricular” activity in the P Turn.

We had a slightly awkward P Turn in last session, because they didn’t have many conditions, and were kind of done with their duty. So, at least for THIS group, I might actually prefer being clear about those things. My former, more RP-savvy group, handled P Turns easily and always had ideas of things they wanted to do to expand on their characters’ stories.

I do try to make hints about the session through a foreshadow portion which I title, “Introduce the Session,” prior to Prologue by Player. I work up this content and try to keep it succinct, such as 2-3 sentences that foreshadow the mission, obstacles, then 2-3 sentences that foreshadow the twists, other happenings, weather. Right now, and for the past several years, all of my play has been through shared google doc, and this foreshadow is a brief portion of the overall document.

I like to make lots of titles and subtitles. I title the session, then write the foreshadow portion. I declare season, weather, and assign the mission. The mission assignment has some GM text, but I also try to keep that succinct and pointed; I write a specific mission statement to be used throughout the session. Then, as a group, we review BIGs; this is the time to write Goals from the mission assignment and foreshadow of the mission hazards and happenings.

Following those elements, the Prologue by Player and GM Turn also have a title. The hazards/obstacles have subtitles.

So, I hope the foreshadow and mission assignment give good clues about the upcoming session, but sometimes are more cryptic than others. We are in a session right now that the foreshadow was very cryptic and mysterious. It was also rather a long intro to the session with two letters being transcribed for the patrol to read.

Recruitment
Regarding their hometowns, I’ve created a roll sheet that widens and feeds different properties into character creation. It is built to make players play characters they originally hadn’t thought of, by (instead of deciding everything) using association and storytelling to string together factors or choices generated by chance:
Dropbox / MG_RecruitmentProcess.xlsx

I’ve had really positive results coming out of that process.

I’m not a fan of random chargen; however, this is a good way to extend the scope and range of Mouse Guard recruits throughout the Territories and settlements. I tend to outline a settlement only when needed.

I also like to muse about alternate recruitment hacks to illustrate a different cultural community for the settlements; one such example is that of reducing the Parents’s trade choices down to only hard, manual labor skills–as though the only mice who join the Guard are those who came from a hard-scrabble, pioneer lifestyle while those of wealth or education steer clear of such desperate choices. Another alternate hack I’d like to write (but haven’t spent much time on) is a recruitment for a sort of Weasel group; like, if a tunnel lord were putting together the troops, how might they be organized and what sort of skills would be employed in weasel forces. It’s a bit difficult to determine. For example, running a group of weasels who play up the Bullying descriptor would be a different campaign than that of Burrow Stealing. It does seem from the NPC blocks that weasels are pretty near all Manipulators, Fighters, and Hunters. A campaign of weasels wouldn’t be a complete flip of mice, but it would be a vastly different experience.

To me, rolling on tables and allowing chance to guide character generation is not a bad thing - but it’s important to let it be just that. A guide.

Essentially, for each category, I let them decide OR roll. So if they already have an idea for that part of recruitment, they can have it their way.
However - I try to most often have them roll for parents and hometown. This is, because as with so much else, we don’t control where we come from.
Then, when it comes to the direction their mouse have taken in life - they are in more control to decide themselves.

We also try to decide color of cloak together in the group - having the others give suggestions based on how they perceive the character. The good thing with that is that it quickly shows whether or not the player’s description of the character comes out as intended to the GM and the other players. They might have an idea of what their character is all about - but once they start describing it - and other players confirm whole different aspects, then the player will have to alter some things (or embrace those new directions).

Back in the days when I started RPing, I wanted to be in control over the character I made. It was MY fantasy - so I wanted to play what I decided. But now a days I find it fun to either generate (and then fill out with backstory), or grab a gaming convention character out of a stack - enjoying the fun of exploring what I might not have chosen for myself, if given the control.

Do I read this right. Are you playing it “play-by-mail” essentially?
Or rather, by allowing everyone to live-edit a google doc - or is this just how you write your missions?

It is something like Play-by-Post in which the several players have access to the google doc (I’m owner w/ players given editor permissions); everyone makes interwoven edits of their own (and sometimes others’) PC words and deeds (and feels). Sometimes it runs quickly and sometimes slowly. Conflicts often run slowly and I attempt to use Conflicts more rarely; I favor complex obstacles instead of full Conflicts.

One boon is that all the play is easily recorded. Everyone can review and refresh the content. I can also link multimedia, such as a soundtrack to the Fight Animal Conflict or the discovery of the bear den; having a soundtrack for those moments was a little challenging, but a fun way to double-up the immersion. I’ve still got a notion of making recorded portions of dialogue or monologue to link rather than exclusively text portions.

One disadvantage is the pacing allows for more forethought into actions and permits players and GM alike too much caution or ambition. For example, having a few days to think of a response during a Haggler test or Orator test is a double-edged sword. I had fun once twisting a(n incorrectly attributed) Lincoln quote as a foundation for the speech of a monopolist would-be maritime shipping fleet owner, but at a table session, I wouldn’t have had time to concoct the details of that speech so meticulously. I liked the result, and it felt very much on point with my intent, but it was about three days of writing and revising before I posted the speech into the shared doc.

This took some time.
I’ve milled about your feedback on Beliefs and Instincts, and would like to test my new suggestions with you, and the readers of this thread (see the longer page 1 feedback post). This is in regards to instincts being more “actionable” with trigger, and action – but also some (hopefully) clarifications of Beliefs:

ELYMME
Belief: “All mice have inner greatness – and greatness belongs in the Guard”
(I wanted to take your suggestions on Recruitment and make that into her statement.)
Instinct: “When ordered by a lesser mouse – I will not compromise”
(A “lesser mouse” according to Elymme’s background, is one of lower class - someone “beneath her”)

FARA
Belief: “All mice are worth fighting for”
i[/i]
Instinct: “When not praised for my strategies – I get spiteful”
(Went with your suggestion, especially since she WAS praised for her war strategies during the Weasel war, and now she almost longs or those days - about how clear life was before her father’s death)

VEI
Belief: “Great knowledge is meaningful to all – regardless of their vocation”
(No one should disregard knowledge. Everyone benefits from greater knowledge about the world, society, science etc)
Instinct: “When facing a lethal threat – I charge without thinking!”
(The player wanted this to almost be a “berserker” reaction, so I use “lethal threat” as the indicator for when something that wants to kill the Patrol, faces her)

FELL (FELICITY)
Belief: “The Guard is the Law of the Territories”
(Very “Judge Dredd” of her almost, but this makes it more clear that local policing is worthless if it conflicts with the guard)
Instinct: “When others squabble – I will instead take action!”
(Essentially, she hates it when decisions takes time - or when compromises are being negotiated. She will do what she feels is the best, and act on it immediately.)

RIN
Belief: “The Guard should be respected and revered by all”
i[/i]
Instinct: “When pressured – I sacrifice moral for quick results”
(unchanged. Possibly have “When pressured for time…”)

I will also run these suggestions by the group today, as we play our next session: “The daily strife of a Tradesmouse”
An escort mission, pressured for time… With Spring bringing hungry animals into the mix.
Today will be their first Conflict.

Sorry for the delay in response. I saw this weeks ago, but kinda had to simmer a bit. I’m gonna respond now.

ELYMME
Belief: “All mice have inner greatness – and greatness belongs in the Guard”
(I wanted to take your suggestions on Recruitment and make that into her statement.)
Instinct: “When ordered by a lesser mouse – I will not compromise”
(A “lesser mouse” according to Elymme’s background, is one of lower class - someone “beneath her”)

This is a good, and simple, clean-up for the Belief which drives the topic of recruiting, and disciplining, Guard members. In this, the leadership can be both outward and inward whether among settlement mice or among the patrol–such as that Tenderpaw who sacrifices morals when placed under pressure.

The Instinct is a good growth too. It still allows that haughty and stubborn spirit to show through, but allows the patrol to create triggers–sometimes even leading to dice hitting the table in order to convince the Ptl Ldr to listen to lower ranked mice.

FARA
Belief: “All mice are worth fighting for”
i[/i]
Instinct: “When not praised for my strategies – I get spiteful”
(Went with your suggestion, especially since she WAS praised for her war strategies during the Weasel war, and now she almost longs or those days - about how clear life was before her father’s death)

This Belief remains as-is, but the Instinct shows a good bit of growth by illustrating specific topics where praise is expected.

VEI
Belief: “Great knowledge is meaningful to all – regardless of their vocation”
(No one should disregard knowledge. Everyone benefits from greater knowledge about the world, society, science etc)
Instinct: “When facing a lethal threat – I charge without thinking!”
(The player wanted this to almost be a “berserker” reaction, so I use “lethal threat” as the indicator for when something that wants to kill the Patrol, faces her)

That’s good growth for the Belief, and I think another step maybe four to five missions down the road is, “My knowledge is meaningful…” That starts to set a stage for recovery from the tortured period of weasel imprisonment.

The Instinct is much improved. It gives a trigger which the GM clearly is allowed to place–whether a severe weather event, predator, deadly sickness, etc.–as a portion of Obstacle or Twist. And the action is still some lite clean-up, but not so unpredictable and wild. Also, this can grow into something more like, “… I take charge without blinking!” where the experience and knowledge and recovery have come together and this Ptl Grd is ready once again to serve as a pillar of Matriarch trust.

FELL (FELICITY)
Belief: “The Guard is the Law of the Territories”
(Very “Judge Dredd” of her almost, but this makes it more clear that local policing is worthless if it conflicts with the guard)
Instinct: “When others squabble – I will instead take action!”
(Essentially, she hates it when decisions takes time - or when compromises are being negotiated. She will do what she feels is the best, and act on it immediately.)

To the Belief, I’d say, ‘OK, it’s a bit heavy, but easily to challenge, seems personal, and mixes with others in the patrol.’ I think, alone, this would be a firebrand of rabble-rousing, but, as a member in the patrol, there is temperament to keep this from becoming a constant interference. I like best that this doesn’t wholly align with the Guard’s organizational description of, ‘wilderness is our jurisdiction; settlements are local jurisdiction;’ because, this Guard member sees the local situation on a case-by-case basis rather than a whole Territories basis. Like: Sure, in general the settlement mice govern themselves well, but I’ve seen things go awry too often, too easily; we’re the real law of the Territories.

The Instinct is a very good improvement with specifics. The verb use of ‘squabble’ helps to really nail down the scenes where this triggers. It is no longer a trigger just to pause for negotiations, it’s a trigger when the talking devolves into gridlocked bickering. And, it helps get this mouse out of the gridlock–even if the action were, “I walk away from these mice who asked for help; since, they cannot agree on the course of action,” that’s not such a bad result according to this Instinct. It can pull situations out of the weeds.

RIN
Belief: “The Guard should be respected and revered by all”
i[/i]
Instinct: “When pressured – I sacrifice moral for quick results”
(unchanged. Possibly have “When pressured for time…”)

Yep, unchanged, but as I had said before, these are really good as-is. And for a Tenderpaw, it’s probably great to have something a little vague. A Tenderpaw may not have very specific habits that have become ingrained mannerisms.

Is there an easy way to convert these to black and white?

They’re very pretty with the yellow background, but my printer can’t print these out at all. I’ve only got a cheap printer that can barely do black and white properly when I turn the contrast up to maximum.