New lifepaths - Lord Marshal & Great Lord

[The final versions of these lifepaths are now on the wiki].

Spinning off the Worlds & Lords thread, I was thinking about how the “Theocracy” setting includes lifepaths all the way up to the top – specifically, that there is a lifepath for the Primarch of the Mundas Humanitas, aka the Space Pope, of whom there is just one at any given time – but the “Nobility” setting tops out at “Forged Lord,” which is a rank held by thousands of people across the galaxy, and “Stewardship & Court” tops out at “Lord Steward,” which is probably held by hundreds. But what if you want, say, the Gonzagin Emperor or the Dunedin Overlord actually in your campaign and “Forged Lord” plus “Your Majesty” just doesn’t feel colorful enough? So, for people interested in playing a game set on an Imperial throneworld or other such nexus of high politics, I offer two new lifepaths and associated traits:

Lord Marshal
Setting: Stewardship & Court
Time: 5 years
Resources: 3
Circles: 2
Skills: 6 pts: Military Law, Great Lord-wise, Logistics, Strategy, Administration, Oratory
Traits: 1 pt: Stormcrow, Belisarius
Requirements: Forged Lord and either Hammer Captain or Anvil Captain

Great Lord
Setting: Nobility
Time: 6 years
Resources: 3
Circles: 2
Skills: 1 pt: Being Lied To-wise; 2 pts: General
Traits: 1 pt: Uneasy Lies the Head
Requirements: Your Grace or Your Majesty Trait

New traits:

Stormcrow: The Lord Marshal commands the massed forces of one of the Great Lords of the Iron Empires, perhaps even one of the contending Emperors. Sovereigns cede such power to a subordinate reluctantly, and only in times of crisis. The appointment of a Lord Marshal is a harbinger of war. His arrival on a planet is a guarantee that a storm is coming: Even if the Lord Marshal means to use the world as a base rather than a battlefield, he will still throw it into turmoil by bringing in huge Anvil and Hammer forces with a voracious appetite for supplies and recruits.
The Stormcrow trait grants the Lord Marshal a 3D positive reputation with war profiteers, political opportunists, and hotheaded young warriors eager for glory. It grants him a 3D infamous reputation with everyone else.

Belisarius: Campaigning for years on end far from the capital, a Lord Marshal has vast resources, little supervision, and many enemies at court. A Lord Marshal with the Belisarius trait (and note that this trait is mandatory for any character taking this lifepath twice) must take a “complicated” (1 rp) relationship with his feudal lord (see p. 117) and a 2D infamous reputation with Lord Stewards and emissaries of his overlord’s court.

Uneasy Lies the Head: The Great Lord is a noble of staggering power, with hundreds of worlds pledging, if not actually delivering, their allegiance. Only the Emperors and Overlords of the various Iron Empires – and a handful of their most powerful political rivals – can boast such status.
Whether born to such heights, thrust into the throne by the deaths of more senior heirs, or a usurper, the Great Lord lives in a world where everyone wants something from him (or, rarely, her) and in which power corrupts everyone. A character with the Uneasy Lies the Head trait may not take any “trusted” (2 rp) relationships. Even the character’s free relationship (see pg. 116) counts as a “complicated” (1 rp) relationship.
Note this lack of trust does not have to be reciprocal: Other characters can take the Great Lord as a “trusted” relationship – he simply cannot ever bring himself to trust them in return!

1 Like

Here’s what I like: I can already see the seething conflict. Great stuff!

If a player wanted to play a character built from one of these lifepaths I’d say, “Of course you are. Welcome to the game!”

Awesome stuff, Lord Freedberg!

These are great Sydney! It hardly bears mentioning that I asked myself the exact same question recently - probably just as you were putting the finishing touches on this! I really need to improve my timing. :wink:

obligatory Scheming moustache-twirling

Awesome Syd. Man… I’m building one!

-Chris

Thanks, guys!

On reflection, I think that this detail

is probably unworkable from the standpoint of the rules: A “trusted” relationship, as I read the Brick, means basically “the GM cannot use this NPC to cause you trouble, at least not without some good building rolls,” and having a relationship with a Great Lord would always be trouble!

Do people have suggestions on the skills or traits? If I don’t hear any in a couple of days, I’ll make that one fix and post 'em on the Wiki.

Man, I gotta say that 3D infamous reputation is pretty crippling. Technically that counts against rolls for Circling up his own troops, unless he just recruited them.

It seems like it only makes the character only good for recruiting, kinda. If you want him just that badass, then cool, but I’d think on that one a while and try out a few different wordings.

That’s a fair point.

This contrasts with the implied meanings of the Belisarius trait in my opinion. Perhaps the Stormcrow could be given an exception for his own troops? Or the Belisarius trait could add that exception (if you want to have the good regard of your own men, take the second trait).

What’s Military Law, Lord Sydney? Are you implying that there is a law of warriors that overrides the proclaimations of our Just and Imperial Majesty? (i.e should it be Imperial Law?)

I’d also give Great Lord a Circles of 3, or some kind of specific-circumstance Circles-enhancing trait, or even Well-Known.

Very good points. I’ll contemplate the Great Lord’s Circles score and/or reputations a bit. As for the somewhat ugly interactions of the Lord Marshal’s reputations as currently written, let me propose revising the Stormcrow and Belisarius traits as follows (changes in italics):

Stormcrow: [snipped]
The Stormcrow trait grants the Lord Marshal a 3D infamous reputation with anyone who has a vested interest in order and stability. It grants him a 3D positive reputation with war profiteers, political opportunists, and hotheaded young warriors eager for glory.

Belisarius: Campaigning for years on end far from the capital, a Lord Marshal has vast resources, little supervision, and many enemies at court. A Lord Marshal with the Belisarius trait (and note that this trait is mandatory for any character taking this lifepath twice) must take a “complicated” (1 rp) relationship with his feudal lord (see p. 117). This trait also grants a 2D infamous reputation with his overlord’s courtiers, emissaries, and stewards – and a 2D positive reputation with his overlord’s enemies, who are eager for the Lord Marshal to turn traitor.

Nice edit on Belisarius there, though if these things stack (and I can’t remember if they do right now) having both Stormcrow and Belisarius gives a 5d infamous rep with some of his peers.

I’m pretty sure they stack (see p. 347), and yeah, it’s intended to be brutal. If you’ve been Lord Marshal for a while (two terms) and you show up on a planet where the Lord Steward is (a) directly appointed by the same Great Lord you answer to and (b) deeply invested in the status quo, your Obstacle to get him to do anything you want increases by five – forget it! Now, if your Great Lord has appointed a Steward to carry out a program of radical change, you only get +2 Ob; and if that Steward is also on the make politically or skimming off the top of whatever your army spends to provision itself, you still have that increased obstacle, but you also get +3D. Quite deliberately, it’s easiest for the Lord Marshal to deal with traitors: a scheming, conniving, corrupt war profiteer (+3D) who’s also secretly working for a rival empire (+2D) is at +5D to help you out!

it’s easiest for the Lord Marshal to deal with traitors

Sweet

Because they’re soooo happy to help him out. There’s no downside! At best, he defects and takes his troops with him. At worst, you’ve got some blackmail to feed his enemies.

As for giving the poor (as he stands now) Great Lord a bit of a break, I think he deserves a 2nd trait point and access to a favorable trait, moving him closer to the Theocracy setting’s Metropolitain aka Cotar Antistes, since that’s only existing lifepath that’s defined as wielding power over multiple planets:

Overlord
This character is a lord of lords, with planetary barons and even greater nobles pledging their allegiance. The Overlord trait grants a 1D affiliation with the character’s vassals and a 1D reputation among them of the player’s choosing. (These reputations may be bought up with Circles points as usual). In addition, the Overlord gains +2s in any Duel of Wits with his own courtiers, commanders, and other flunkies.

Excellent, Sydney, I’m fully satisfied with the new wordings. Good stuff!

Hey, it’s one reputation and one affiliation per roll. Can’t use two reps on one roll.

Aha. I couldn’t find that clearly specified in the Brick – where is it?

Consider this a clarification.