New Mage Spell: Mystic Ward

Mystic Ward
Second Circle Magician/Elf Spell

Many adventurers have met their doom at the cruel hands of the elements. Mystic Ward insulates characters against the effects of hot and cold, allowing adventurers to travel places they would otherwise be unable to survive.

Supplies: a bit of ash
Lore Master Ob to Learn: 3
Scholar Ob to Scribe Scroll: 3
Scholar Ob to scribe into traveling spell book: 3

Factors

Against Environment: hottest/coldest day of the year, hostile climate, extreme conditions (a sudden ice age/the heat from a volcanic eruption), supernatural/magical elements.

Elemental Resistance (Conflict Only): +1D, +1s. +1 Might

Breadth: One person, two people, party of adventurers

Duration: one turn, two turns, phase

Effects

Characters under the protection of Mystic Ward can ignore the factors, conditions, and twists that would normally result from extreme heat or cold. Upon casting, the Mage must declare which element they are warding off, hot or cold. Alternatively, they can use it to gain an advantage during a conflict.

Love the “phase” duration! It’s Ob might be a little easy, though (with this spell a character could play the whole Winter Phase with no penalty!). Personally I’d make it a Circle 2 spell.

By

You mean “margin of success”, right?

I think this might be too much (I’ll even go further and make it a Circle 3 spell). Some other ways I can see it applied:

“The caster can use his Arcanist instead of his Health for Defense actions against attacks of fire/cold elements in Kill, Drive off and Capture conflicts.”

“The target counts as one Might higher against monsters with elemental weapons.” (DEFINITELY 3rd circle spell!)

“(Factor) Elemental Resistance: +1D, +1s, +1 Might.”

The Factor examples are really flavorful, I really like them, but for the sake of format I think that writing something like:

Against Environment: hottest/coldest day of the year, hostile climate, extreme conditions, supernatural elements.

But that’s just because I’m kinda picky with format, not a real critique.

Stay cool :cool:

Winter isn’t a phase. It lasts from 1-3 adventures if the party decides to go out and do stuff.

In the Winter chapter it says “Winter Phase”! I always thought that Winter is a phase that overlaps with the others.

Stay cool :cool:

I really like the suggestions you made DagaZ, particularly the one for how this spell works in conflicts. I’m going to narrow down the specific tonight or tomorrow, but I think for the factors, I’ll go with this:

Against Environment: hottest/coldest day of the year, hostile climate, extreme conditions (a sudden ice age/the heat from a volcanic eruption), supernatural/magical elements.

I will most likely bump it to a 2nd Circle Spell.

True true. I meant that Winter, if played through, isn’t quick business. You’re right, it kinda overlaps the town/adventure/camp phases if you (suicidally) play through.

Speaking of…what happens if you go back to town for Winter and you get the Disaster result? Is it Winter adventure phase or still Autumn?

I updated the OP to reflect the changes. While this spell is certainly powerful, the caster pays for everything, which is what I believe makes it a second circle spell. The most powerful environmental effect cast on everyone for an entire phase is Ob 10. Boosting the entire party’s Might for a single turn is Ob 7.