New Missions book Conflict Table Revision

Hey all.

I have worked really hard to get a handle on how to run Mouse Guard (getting there…) and I picked up the New Rules New Missions book today. I am very confused about the new Action Table on pg.8. Whereas the first action table in the original book you could look at both actions (mouse or enemy on either axis) the new one appears to be different. Which axis are the mice on and which are the enemies? Why are they different?

What is the reason behind the new table? What was broken that needed fixing? In the few playtests I did myself it seemed like feint was a VERY dangerous move to take. Was this new table made to decrease some of that risk so people would do it more?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

The table shown on pg 109 of the rulebook is fairly similar to the table in the supplement. I like the supplement better.

I never felt anything was broken; however, I had some questions from Feint, Attack, and Defend.

I read the new table as such:

• The GM or Player can read the table to see how their action is resolved.
  • Refer to the action listed on the left column of the table (Attack, Defend, Feint, Maneuver)
  • Follow the row along to the corresponding action of the opponent
  • Read the interaction of Independent or Versus (or Special) for that row and column

I typically address volleys in a conflict from the point of view as a PC side against NPC side.

The new table indicates Feint against Defend is Independent, while Defend against Feint is Special; the notation indicates a Defend cannot test against Feint. The older table indicates Feint against Defend as a Special notation. Likewise, the new table indicates Feint against Attack is Special, while Attack against Feint is Independent.

This has not changed the mechanics of the actions or how they interact. That has remained the same. The newer table alters the formatting of presentation to reduce questions about interactions in a conflict. It does not alter the risk or reward of electing to Feint in a conflict.

Conflicts.pdf (90.3 KB)
The link is a document I use as a reference for conflicts. It is helpful to recall the action-interaction, but it does not have a table. It also has the conflict ‘weapons’ listed in a concise manner.

Thanks for the replies, Kenneth! I jumped on here a few days ago and suddenly I REALLY want to run a Mouse Guard game. I have a one-shot game scheduled for November so I want to get my ducks in a row. I might cave and go earlier!

To clarify my question, WHO reads WHICH side of the table? For example, I Feint and the Enemy Defends. If I read my action on the left side of the table and the enemy on the top it is an (I) for independent test. If I read my action on the top of the chart and the enemy on the left side it becomes (-) for no roll made.

Which one of these is correct?

And perhaps I shouldn’t have said “broken” for the reason a new table is made, but not having played with either one I am just curious to know what it changes? How is the game affected with the new table?

Again, when I playtested a combat conflict (just me rolling for everyone) it seemed that Feinting was a VERY dangerous move to make as you could basically open yourself up to an attack and not be able to inflict any disposition on the enemy. This table seems to dial that down a bit. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help, everyone! As soon as I figure out rules I will start asking questions about scenario design!

Nick

Just read it from left to right. Doesn’t matter for whom. You feint, Enemy defends – you make an independent test. Enemy defends, you feint – enemy doesn’t test. The result always tells you what to apply for the character doing the action you picked on the left side.

Also, it doesn’t change anything in play. The rules and interactions are the same. It’s just quicker at a glance.