new to online RPG forums.

hello,

is this the right place to search for a local group of people interested in forming a mouse guard patrol?
i am interested in doing so, but way out of my depth.
may the trolls go easy on an online forum newbie. any advice is helpful, and thank you for taking the time.

Hi!

There’s a Player Search forum further down the list: https://www.burningwheel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?13-Player-Search

I don’t know where you live. People on the forums are pretty spread out, as far as I can tell, but hopefully you can find a group local to you.

Anyway, welcome!

The Mouse Guard Google+ Community is also a good place to try: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106749458832836449079

I’m still openly recruiting for a play-by-google-doc campaign. It’s a bit like play-by-post, but without the slowdown and visual mess of a forum board.

You could PM for clarification or details. Or, you could look at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tHssJRaHHDvVuP6JDq81ZQHK2rqjfCHYiGhA25VCyOc/edit?usp=sharing for the entire details and ongoing character recruitment.

We are using recent 2nd edition rules. I’ve got hard copy and I chose to buy a .pdf copy from http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/166655/Mouse-Guard-RPG-2nd-Edition

hey kendesign,
I’m interested in being considered for recruitment. I do have little experience rpg-ing and would need a tutorial or a link to one on how to play by google doc. Correct me if I’m wrong; but the way I understand it is this would be a purely written adventure that we as a group would in turn be composing simultaneously? Which, if so, isn’t what I had in mind, but am intrigued and open to giving a solid try; granting, of course, I fit the necessary parameters, so I don’t slow down or upset the process for veteran players.
I read through the doc. and appreciate the detail you have put into forming the year. I am personally drawn to a narrow, low and large form with MG trad themes coupled with whatever surprises can be explored. heroic, comedic and dc are, for me, the ones that peaked my interest initially, but i’m open to whatever experience is chosen; whether it be by general consensus, or by the person responsible to putting it all together. As for time; could it not be determined on a test by test basis, or become one or the other as the actions warrant: granular time for more complex actions(battles, combat, escape), and relative time for the simpler tasks (weather watching, scouting, pathfinding)?
Above all, if anything must be one way or another I’m excited to meet the challenge of whatever framework is established and look forward to the experience as a fun and learning one.

thanks for the info Shaun, Cheers!!

thanks for getting back to me with advice, Thor. I’ll scope it out. FOR ASGARD!!!

(0) Learning to manage an RPG character and game session is a fairly large topic, and the rules text of Mouse Guard provides loads of good examples interwoven in the content. For a bit of tips regarding online play-by-doc (specifically in my sessions), check out this: Play-by-Shared-Doc Tips - Google Docs

(1) That’s a fairly accurate view. Each player and a GM are editors of a shared document, which allows everyone to write, rewrite, and move content. It also allows for everyone to use the comments feature, such as for dice rolls or clarifications. Mostly, players write at portions of their own mouse actions, thoughts, and dialogue; also, players can write on behalf of their relationships, fellow patrol mates, and general weather or wilderness conditions–keeping in spirit with the characters and environment.

Players should be checking the shared document for updates about 3 times each week or more often. Players should make a written contribution about 2 times each week or more often. When Conflicts or complex tests are undertaken, players should be sure to participate, which may require daily checking the doc for updates.

(2) Seems that has been the response from others so far. The interest among other respondents has been a desire to learn the MG world and rules. As I’ve been playing and/or running MG for greater than 3 years, I’m always eager to attempt additional themes and other formats.

(3) Time is usually a relative metric related to the test-by-test basis. Sometimes players are coming from other games which treat time on a closer to minute-by-minute or hour-by-hour basis. I use that question to set a tone and alert players to the presence of how time is played out. I don’t tend to assume all the tests and narrative events of a session are one after another. I always assume there are weeks, days, hours, minutes of things which don’t get narration or don’t get more than a passing glance of narration. It is good for both players and GM to have a similar viewing angle of how much time passes both between and during tests. I always assume actions take longer than anticipated and pauses between intense tests is longer than imagined. All that adds to relative time rather than granular time. Granular time comes in for Conflicts, but even complex tests are often relative.