New Trait: Gravemarked

I’m currently gearing up to run a medieval Walking Dead game, and I wanted to create a trait for when characters get bit, but are not killed by a zombie. This is what I’m currently working with:

Gravemarked

Any character who survives being bitten by a zombie is now infected. Each morning that character makes a Health test at Ob 10 - current Health. Success means their condition remains stable. Failure means it worsens. Permanently subtract 1D from the characters health score. Additionally, the character gains a new trait according to their current Health score on the chart below. Traits associated with Health scores higher than the character’s are gained upon infection.

8 - Aches and Pains
7 - Gnawing Hunger
6 - Blisters
5 - Palsy
4 - Myopic
3 - A Bit Deaf
2 - Blind (Replaces Myopic)
1 - Deaf (Replaces A Bit Deaf)

Characters whose health score is reduced to zero from the infection turn succumb to their illness and become zombies. Should their infection be stayed through some miracle, characters do not recover any lost health dice nor do they lose any of the traits associated with this illness. Characters with a Health score of 10 are immune from such an infection.

Thoughts?

I’m personally not a fan of that “Each morning” bit. I prefer triggers relating to the flow of scenes and sessions, or specific fictional events. I can see it working if you really want the trait to force tight time constraints, though.

It may be too brutal at once every morning. I like doing it once per session, either at the top or bottom of it, since that sets things up twists them accordingly. Otherwise, does the progression make sense?

Most people have, what, a Health of 3 or 4? Ick. Even my healthiest characters only got up to 5 or 6 after years of play. Lots of people succumbing. Well, I guess that’s your intent!

Why don’t miracles remove the effects of the infection? That seems punitive. Or are you not referring to a Faithful miracle, but rather just good luck on the dice?

Finally, how do blind and deaf zombies find their prey?

Most people have, what, a Health of 3 or 4? Ick. Even my healthiest characters only got up to 5 or 6 after years of play. Lots of people succumbing. Well, I guess that’s your intent!

Why don’t miracles remove the effects of the infection? That seems punitive. Or are you not referring to a Faithful miracle, but rather just good luck on the dice?

Finally, how do blind and deaf zombies find their prey?

My thoughts were that a minor miracle would “freeze” an infection (all accumulated effects stay, doesn’t progress) and that a major miracle flat out removes it. These traits are merely the virus destroying your body. Once you go undead, you’re essentially the walking dead found in BWG, and would have basic sense perception.