New Trait: Wizard

Wizard Dt

You are a member of the wizard’s council, using your wisdom to guide those of human stock with kindness and compassion, even if you are subtle and quick to anger.

This trait confers two reputations, 2D over the human lands and 2D among the elves.

It also confers a 1D affiliation with the Wizard’s Council.

You are no conjurer of cheap tricks and can use your circles test to contact a magical species, choose one: (Roden, Great Spider, Great Wolf, Chiropteran, Great Eagle, Grayman, Ophidia or Satyr).

So, this is a 5 point die trait because it is clearly a rule-breaker. How do the affiliation and reputations price out or should I take out the reps and just let that happen in play?

I don’t have my MoBu on me, but 5 points seems low for what you’ve got here. Maybe drop the reps to 1D?

I dig the idea, though!

A re-thinking:

Wizard Dt

You are a member of the wizard’s council, using your wisdom to guide those of human stock with kindness and compassion, even if you are subtle and quick to anger.

This trait confers two 1D reputations within different stocks. One should be positive and the other must be negative.

It also confers a 1D affiliation with the Wizard’s Council.

You are no conjurer of cheap tricks and can use your circles test to contact a magical species, choose one: (Roden, Great Spider, Great Wolf, Chiropteran, Great Eagle, Grayman, Ophidia or Satyr).

Love it!

Nice! I dig the idea of kicking in an Enmity clause on a failed Circles test for a magical creature. Though–what guidelines would you use for Obs there? Would you just treat that stock as being contactable? Would it count as being in a lifepath? It strikes me that it’s pretty easy to ratchet up the Ob here, as such a circling could easily be construed as “unusual for this place and time”. Though, I dig the idea that the wizard could start accruing magical enemies this way, unless they have enough Circles that they’re able to reliably circle up a magical creature and build a relationship therein. (Cue Shadowfax!)

Ah, speaking of which: what if you named the trait Grey Pilgrim? Might add some nice color to it.

I was thinking that Mithrandir aka the Grey Pilgrim might be a cool reputation to have among the elves.

Next up, a lifepath.

Ooooh. 1D “The Grey Pilgrim” for the elves, and 1D infamous “Stormcrow” for the Rohirrim, eh?

Indeed!

1D in the Shire for cool fireworks, but 1D infamous for inciting adventure.

Maybe it’s a Reputation-generating trait? Something like every time he travels somewhere the GM assigns a new Rep?

This is A GREAT idea.
However, it is not for every game, as it is a very powerful trait. This could be a “GM’s discretion” trait.

Perfect for Gandalf-like characters or a game that lacks in magic, making the character “one of the only few wizards in the Realm and therefore a rare sight. Any city blessed with the appearance of one so powerful.”

Maybe it could also give him automatic disadvantage for inconspicuous and advantage for conspicuous.

Why not split it into two traits?

One can extend your Circles into another stock, and the other can grant a 1D rep. I would consider restricting the Circles trait to a single setting, but it’s probably not necessary. You could either create multiple traits for extending to different stocks or just leave it general. Making it specific gives you two advantages: it’s a lot more flavorful, and it allows you to restrict things if you add it to a lifepath.

You can make either one cooler by modeling it after Well-Traveled in the MagBu: instead of specifying what the rep or extension is prior to play, the player may declare during play that “hey, people know me here” and take the Circles extension or Rep at that instant. Following that declaration it can’t be changed.