Noob question about using nature in place of a skill a character doesn't have

I am new to MG, I just purchased the book last week from my LCS. I have played a little bit of D20 in the past, but I like this system better because it seems to be more narrative and less explicitly focused on combat (Ex: Star Wars RPG–might as well just be called the extended rule set for Star Wars minis battle game).

Anyway, sorry for the noob question, but I am curious if anyone has any thoughts about what is to stop a player from always using their nature in place of skills they don’t have? (Resolution: Begginer’s Luck)

For example, I have been using a lot of pathfinding in my first few missions, which one of my characters doesn’t have any rating in. The other character has a rating of two, which pretty much makes her useless for all but the easiest trails. I am aware that the character who doesn’t have pathfinding will never earn it by substituting nature all of the time, but I think his nature is 4, which means it would take quite a few missions to get above a 4 with pathfinding. I know using nature all of the time is a quick fix, but I am just concerned it is too tempting for my players.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Robert

Have you read the section on taxing Nature and what happens to mice whose Natures go too low or too high?

I’ll re-read that section now that I understand the game a little better. The first time I read it, I had a hard time completely understanding it. I learn better from outline formats than linear formats, so I am going back through the book and making some outline style reminder sheets.

Thanks again,

Robert

Cool. Btw, welcome to the forum.