Not Enough Circles Points

Last Monday was my second session running Burning Empires. We finished up chargen, and got a maneuver in. People had a good time, although we’re still feeling out the rules.

Something that came up: If I want my character to be the head of a group, what do I have to do? (Three of the four players control military units, and the other one is the mayor of the Kerrn Ghetto.)

My reading of the rules says they need to buy an Affiliation from 1 to 3 D, AND a ‘the-boss’ level Reputation (3D), AND a relationship with your 2nd in command. If you’re the leader of a global-level entity (which all my FoN are, and I encouraged the players to be), then it costs you 8 circles points (or 6, if you use your relationship freebie on your 2nd in command).

Here’s the problem. One of the players (who’s a figure of note, for what it’s worth), is a Hammer Lord who slogged his way up the ranks the hard way. His lifepaths are something like Son of a Gun, Yeoman (transfer to Hammer), Yeoman, Signals Tech, Discipline Officer, First Officer, Lord-Pilot Hammer, (transfer to Nobility) Hammer Lord.

He has 4 points in Circles.

I told him he could take a 2D affiliation and 2D reputation for his Hammer fleet and take his 2nd in command as his freebie relationship, and I also gave him a free relationship with the Vaylen FoN Void Lord, thus solving his relationship requirements.

Anyway, are we doing this right? It seems really expensive. If we are, what would you have done in a situation like this?

Doesn’t the Hammer Lord trait obviate the need to buy the second in command and the reputation as well as giving 1d of affiliation for free?

We have the exact same character in our current game.

The character must buy the Hammer Lord trait (for 5 points!), then buy the reputation and affiliation. As Devin said, the trait makes unnecessary the relationship, though I recommend taking a subordinate anyway.

Yes, it’s expensive. But being a Hammer Lord is just about the most powerful type of character you can be in the Iron Empires. The player certainly won’t be complaining when he orders in his strike craft…

-L

EDIT: Don’t forget that you have to take a relationship on the other side!

His lifepaths are something like Son of a Gun, Yeoman (transfer to Hammer), Yeoman, Signals Tech, Discipline Officer, First Officer, Lord-Pilot Hammer, (transfer to Nobility) Hammer Lord.

The character must buy the Hammer Lord trait (for 5 points!)

If the character has the “Hammer Lord” lifepath, isn’t the “Hammer Lord” trait available for only one trait point?

If the character has the “Hammer Lord” lifepath, isn’t the “Hammer Lord” trait available for only one trait point?

I hope so, because otherwise I think my entire group’s characters just exploded. :slight_smile:

Yes. Hammer Lord grants it for 1 trait point.

Oops. Yeah. Sorry, missed that last LP.

Well, our Hammer Lord really rose from the ranks. None of those namby pamby Noble lifepaths! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

So anyway, yes, yah gotta buy the reps and affs.
-L

The player chose one of the low Circles paths to get there. The easiest switch - keeping it in 8 LPs - is to drop the Yeoman LP from the Spacefarer setting, and add in Hammer Captain between Lord-Pilot Hammer and Hammer Lord.

Have you thanked him for taking 8 LPs? :stuck_out_tongue: