Ogre

Ogre
Might: 4
Nature: 6
Nature Descriptors: Man-Eating, Lumbering, Bellowing
Dispositions: Kill 13, Flee 9, Convince 6, Trick/Riddle 3. All others: Nature + Nature.Fight Weapons: Massive Club (+1s Attack, -1D Maneuver; ignores chainmail, increases odds of damage to platemail)
Convince Weapons: Stupid (+1s Defend), Charming to Children (+1s Attack in a Convince conflict with children), Intimidating Bellow (+1D Maneuver)
Trick/Riddle Weapons: Tricksy (+1D Feint)
Armor: Thick hide (as leather)
Instinct: Always stick to my daily routine.
Special: Brutish Fists. When unarmed or disarmed in a fight, the Ogre does not suffer the -1D penalty to all actions. Brutish Fists ignore chainmail and increases the odds of damage to plate armor.

So, as it stands, your ogre smashes mu cave troll. Is that true to torchbearer canon? :slight_smile:

The troll we’ve included in Torchbearer is a bit tougher than your troll, i’m afraid. :stuck_out_tongue:

It really sounds like teamwork is the order of the day when it comes to any kind of Conflict in TB. I like it!

Not just in conflict! Strong leadership and good teamwork makes a huge difference. Parties that have trouble working together will get beat up fast.

Ah no, I’m glad!

Edit: and curious about an ogre vs gel cube fight.

Cage Match: Torchbearer

I have a couple of questions, the Convince Weapons would be used in monsters like Traits are used with player characters? And what would be the “All others: Nature + Nature” Disposition?

Not quite, though similar. They provide their benefit every time they’re used, though if you describe exactly the same thing over and over again you’ll take a penalty for repeating yourself. In Convince conflicts, you don’t use swords and axes as weapons. You use things like Intimidation or Evidence or even Promises. The ogre has some specialized weaponry for these conflicts. He’s stupid, so often your well-reasoned points make little impression on him because he simply can’t follow them, so any time he plays up his stupidity for Defend actions, he gets +1s to tied or successful results.

The dispositions above are for the conflicts for which the ogre has a set disposition. He doesn’t have a set score for a Capture conflict, for instance. If the party decides they want to capture the ogre and make him part of their traveling menagerie, the Ogre would roll its Nature of 6 and add its successes to its base Nature (6) to generate its disposition for the capture conflict. If I roll 2 successes for the Ogre, its disposition would be 8.

Can the don’t repeat yourself rule also be applied to Fight conflicts?

Repeating is only specifically called out for Convince conflicts, but you could certainly use the Evil GM Factors rule to increase someone’s obstacle if they keep providing the same description of an action over and over again.

Thanks Thor, now I understand. For exemple a monster like a Vampire would use Convince Weapons to convince his prey to give up, charm them(even though they problably have a spell for that) or even intimidate them if he feels threatened, awesome! The nature explanation was also very enlightening, thanks a lot! :smiley: