One Monster - One Weapon Per Action?

Can a monster that has multiple actions in a volley declare a different weapon for each action? For example Maneuver+stony grip followed by Attack+vicious bite (assuming that activates a special ability)?

Or would the monster need to have “stony grip” equipped for the entire first volley and, assuming the PCs didn’t break the grip by the second volley, equip vicious bite to try to activate the special combo?

Along a similar line, could a character acting twice in a volley pick a different weapon for each action (e.g. PC1:Attack+Sword, different PC action, PC1:Defend+Shield)? This is assuming 2 or fewer PCs in the conflict of course.

I like the idea of the monster needing a new volley to switch weapons since it suggests that a volley is a flury of activity that doesn’t allow for changes in tactics, plus it gives players time to react (the halfling has been grabbed, do something!).

Curious how you all have handled this and/or if the rules spell it out.

My understanding is that weapons are declared for each round rather than each action.

5 Likes

As Michael says. This is to make sure Disarms have teeth, so to speak (hah!). But there are some possible exceptions. A monster, such as a hydra, might be immune to disarming its “many toothy maws” or some such, except when employing fire as a weapon against it. Jared’s Strider class from Wanderers, Outcasts, and Exiles can wield a sword and an offhand weapon. If one of the Strider’s weapons is disarmed, I would assume the other is still available (And in that case, the disarm just prevents the use of some class features). Bracers FTW!

1 Like

Thank you both for the insight! I like the idea of special class or monster abilities that interact with the normal disarm rules. Lots of potential there.

I will clarify the point in 2e, but monsters can be disarmed of their weapons, natural or artificial. However, monsters always have a default weapon to fall back on as per the Red of Tooth and Claw rule. So if you have stripped them of all available weapons for a conflict, they can equip teeth and claws at the start of the next round. They get no bonus, but neither do they suffer a penalty.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.