PbP of PbEM MG

Why do I keep seeing this phrase “player turn skills”? I hope your GM runs missions that actually require healing (and other non-combat) skills during the GM’s Turn. While PC healing is generally done during the Players’ Turn, this does not mean that healing of NPC mice during the GMT should not be a critical element in some games. Hopefully this question is not hijacking this thread. If so, let’s start a new one and discuss.

So here’s my mouse!

ENGLEBERT “BERT”

Home: Barkstone
Fur: White
Cloak: Orange
Parents: Timoth and Lucinda (Glaziers)
Senior Artisan: Kristoff the Master Glazier in Lockhavenuu
Mentor: “Old Blue”
Friend: Gayle the apiary apprentice. Englebert spends most of his free time trying to sneak into the apiary and watch the bees. Gayle, the apprentice, has become a close friend due to their mutual love for the bees.
Enemy: Ademar the Head Apiarist. He doesn’t like Englebert (or any other mouse) poking around the apiary. He has petitioned for disciplinary action against Englebert for continuing to sneak into the apiary and handling the bees. This seemingly small problem has developed into a level of distrust and animosity that far exceeds the situation. Englebert desperately wants to earn Ademar’s trust and praise because it is his secret wish to become an apiarist one day.

BELIEF: All creatures should be treated with respect.
GOAL:
INSTINCT: Always study and take detailed notes on all creatures encountered

Nature: 6
Will: 3
Health: 5
Resources: 3 (likes to buy gifts, bad with money, packs carefully)
Circles: 3 (gregarious)

Skills: fighter 2, hunter 5, instructor 2, scout 2, survivalist 2, glazier 4, laborer 2, orator 2, craft-wise 2, bee-wise 1, spider-wise 1
Traits: Steady paw 1, curious 1
Gear: sling and stones, small jar (for catching and storing small creatures), pouch with pencil and sheets of parchment for notes, coil of rope, small sharp cutting knife

Englebert was raised by his parents in the artisanal town of Barkstone, where he learned his primary trade as a glazier. His mother is a master glazier and his father runs the business of handling orders and arranging delivery of finished products. The family focused on specialty and artistic/decorative glass products {craft-wise}. As a littlefur, Englebert served as a helping paw around the workshop {laborer} and eventually began his family apprenticeship with his mother who noticed that he had a rare natural artistic talent. Englebert learned the craft quickly and exhibited exceptional talent even though his heart really wasn’t fully in the work. It’s not that he disliked creating intricate works of artistic glassware, but his wanderlust was difficult to harness and, after years of absenteeism and distraction, Timoth convinced young Englebert to join the Mouse Guard “to teach the boy some discipline”. It was his hope that Bert would discover himself and eventually return home to take over the family business.

In Lockhaven, Bert was apprenticed to Kristoff the Master Glazier and, for nearly his entire apprenticeship, the two mice built an enormous and artistically elaborate stained glass window in the Apiary. The Head Apiarist, Ademar, had commissioned the intricate project which, through the manipulation of certain panels, allows light to shine through different colored panes in the glass mural, thus manipulating the bees behavior and temperment while also serving as a crowning artistic centerpiece in the apiary. However, during the process of crafting this beautiful work of art, Bert’s life took an unexpected turn: he became totally fascinated with the bees. Englebert would spend all his available free time in the apiary watching the bees at first. Then drawing them in sketches. Then daring to handle the bees. And this final act of innocent curiosity {curiosity trait} triggered the development of Ademar’s wrath. At first Ademar was excited to share his knowledge of the bees. But Bert’s questioning became insatiable, his presence in the apiary distracting and unwelcome. Ademar had to tolerate the young artisan’s presence for nearly two years during the completion stained glass window project. But by the end, Ademar had had enough and filed a formal complaint with Kristoff and Aldric, the Captain of the Guard. Englebert received disciplinary action and was warned NOT to visit the apiary or interfere with Ademar’s work. For a while, Bert obeyed but over the following months he simply could not stay away from the apiary. He began sneaking into the apiary with the help of his friend Gayle, the apiary apprentice. The two developed a deep friendship over the years based on their common love of the bees. Gayle also secretly finds Englebert to be handsome and charming mouse, although Bert is far too obsessed with the bees to take notice.

His apprenticeship completed, Bert began his formal patrol training and was assigned to have “Old Blue” as a mentor. Blue is a quiet and even-tempered oldfur who is renowned as one of the Guard’s finest hunters. He is rumored to have singlehandedly run a moose through a weasel encampment during the Winter War, turning the tide of battle in favor of the underdog mice. For the next two years, Bert served in various patrols under Blue’s command as a Tenderpaw {scout, hunter, survivalist}. Naturally, the nature of most of Blue’s patrols involved hunting and tracking and this was the heavy emphasis in Bert’s training. As it turns out, Bert is a natural hunter. His near intuitive connection to animals of almost all varieties enables him to watch, learn, wait, plan and act with amazing precision as a hunter. While Bert’s secret life-goal is to become an apiarist, he has truly found himself as a hunter for the Guard. While Blue emphasized the need to fight off and hunt to kill, Engelbert’s more passive nature leans much more toward trapping, warding off predators, and studying wildlife to better understand the interaction between those creatures and mice. It is Bert’s belief that all wild creatures are just following their own inborn nature, even predators. Bert believes that by understanding the nature of such creatures that they can be either avoided, redirected or fended off without the need for violence. However, in rare occasions, even Bert knows that violence is sadly necessary.

By nature, Englebert is a gregarious and outgoing mouse. He loves to make friends and talk and talk and TALK. In fact, Bert loves to speak at length about his discoveries regarding various creatures {orator}. Because of his genuinely friendly affect, this is most often received cordially by other mice, who quite often learn some interesting little tidbits for themselves {instructor}. Finally, Englebert’s insatiable curiosity about all living creatures literally drives him to singleminded distraction. When in the presence of any creature, it is nearly impossible for him to concentrate on anything other than studying his subject, often taking the form of jotting down notes or making drawings. Bert is determined to learn as much as he can about all creatures and will use his beginner’s luck to develop new creature-wises at every possible opportunity.

This is an intense backstory! I love the creativity; just keep in mind that as GM I will focus on what is on you character sheet (namely, Belief, Instinct, Goal, and Traits). I can’t promise to remember all of the background :slight_smile: Also, Based on you instinct, what about investing some skill points in Loremouse? It seems like it would really fit the concept.

I agree that ALL skills should be relevant to both turns, both player and GM. This thread is for development of this particular MG game. If you want to continue the discussion about making certain skills relevant to the game, please start a new thread. I think it would be a fruitful discussion. Thanks!

Friends, Mentor, Enemeys, Parents etc. too?

I always defer to the GM and I’m willing to modify anything you’d like. The backstory is more for me since I just enjoy the writing and creation part of building the character. I was thinking that now that Bert is “on his own” he will now develop loremouse and/or various wises. I thought that his use of beginners luck to constantly develop animal knowledge will create interesting opportunities.

it looks like there are four mice in the patrol right now. Is the patrol group closed to new potential guardmice?

I’d like to build a Patrol Guard or Patrol Leader (it looks like those ranks and Tenderpaw have not been proposed).

Finally got him in! Excuse the mess, first time making a character for Mouse Guard, if there are any errors, please, inform me! The back story may be off as I’m not too keen on the timeline of Mouse Guard. (When the Winter War happened, etc) Luckily if I’m off on those points, it’s easily modifiable to be any conflict really. The background is also mainly for me, I like to establish a past, helps me build him in game, I think.

Also if you want me to change some of my skills around to fit the party, I certainly can. I tried to pick skills the other two mice hadn’t been strong in. (Fighter being the exclusion.)

Name :Isaac
Home: Ivydale
Fur: Dark-Brown
Cloak: White

BELIEF: It is my duty to protect the innocent. They are the future of us all.
INSTINCT: If there is food, eat it. It may not be there when next you check.
GOAL: —

Parents: Garred - Armorer (Wife killed during war.) Garred was once a loving father
who taught his son his trade in hopes Isaac would take over when Garred retired.
However during the wars Lilian, Garred’s wife, was killed, while supposedly in the
care of the Mouse Guard. This same event is what spurred Isaac to join the guard,
though Garred came to despise them. There is now much enmity between the father and
son, they have not spoken much over the years.

Senior Artisan: Darren, Master-Armorer. Darren was a mouse of few words, preferring
instead to teach by actions. Isaac was already a competent Armorer upon his arrival
to Lockhaven, and his apprenticeship consisted mostly of helping Darren with day-to-day
tasks.

Mentor: Oldfur Nathan, Guard Captain. Nathan is a mouse past his prime. He was wise
but valued the more practical skills. Protecting your fellow mouse was of upmost
importance in his training, as well as Weather-Watching and pathfinding. Under his
tutelage Isaac learned much, Nathan’s gruff nature emphasizing ‘learning-through-failure.’
Isaac was Nathan’s last Tenderpaw before he was promoted to Guard Captain. He now
stays in Lockhaven, in semi-retirenment, doing administrative work, a task he hates,
having lived his life out on the field.

Friend: Ellen, Tavern-keeper in Copperwood. Isaac attempts to see Ellen whenever
he can find excuse enough to travel to Copperwood. A kind woman with a love for
baking, which is perfectly compatible with Isaac’s love for eating. They met during
one of Isaac’s missions up to Copperwood. Having heard of her prowess in the kitchen
he just had to stop by and try some of her delicious food.

Enemy: Evan, Ellen’s brother. Evan never liked Isaac, the cheeful fat guardmouse
that he is. Evan, a hunter by trade, is protective of Ellen, and feels that Isaac
is going to bring more trouble to her, or is simply using her. Evan is a good guy,
if it were not for his mistrusting, and rather vindictive, nature.

Will:5
Health:4
Nature: 4
Resources 6 (Baker in winter, likes-to-buy-gifts, thrifty, packs carefully)
Circles: 3
Home: Ivydale

Traits:
Hard-Worker
Fat
Bodyguard

Skills:
Baker 3
Fighter 5
Pathfinder 4
Weather Watcher 5
Armorer 3
Orator 2
Persuader 3
Armor-Wise 2
Path-Wise 2
War-Wise 2
Weasel-Wise 2

Equipment:
Axe, Heavy Armor, Shield.

On the field Isaac is always fully-geared up, his armor on, axe in one hand, shield
in the other. He hopes that anyone who wants to fight will think he isn’t worth
the effort. Though he always has his axe on his person he prefers to use his shield,
to better protect his allies, and the innocents. However if a creature has to be
destroyed to protect his fellow mice, he won’t hesitate to throw himself at it, axe
swinging and cutting.

Isaac joined the Mouse Guard during the Winter War, and though he survived, he witnessed
the many horrors of that awful conflict. Nathan taught him the important lesson that
the Guard should suffer the pains of war, so that the innocent don’t have to. His training
consisted mostly of combat, as such was in dire need during the war, but Nathan
made sure to emphasize defense, not reckless offense. “The Mouse Guard is here to protect,
not to fight Weasels. If they happen to threaten our peace, we shall rebuke them, but never
seek to destroy anyone, unless that is the only way to protect the Territories.”

He gained his cloak during the war, White, to symbolize the mice he was to serve.
His original is torn, and thread-bare, signs of a long life. He gave it too Ellen, as a keep sake,
making sure to bleach it pristine white. He still wears a cloak of white, making sure to preserve its perfection.

Man I literally laughed out loud when I read your instinct. That is simply awesome. Can’t wait to play!

On a separate note, to our illustrious GM, what format will we be using to play?

Thanks! To be honest, I was thinking about making it something about keeping his cloak immaculate, but decided the current one would be more fun in play :stuck_out_tongue:

pending a comment from the GM, here are the two Patrol Guard mice I came up with. Either one should mix with the team, but this first is my preference.

Raleigh, saved for another game

Laird, saved for another game

Just one last thought, maybe I could pull in a tenderpaw under the mentorship of Isaac?

Album with Victor’s image

Victor, 16, black fur male mouse of Grasslake
Temderpaw wearing no cloak
son of Wren & Trista, boatcrafters of Grasslake
apprenticed to Roiben the scribe of Lockhaven (archivist)
mentored by Isaac (emphasizing pathfinder and weather watcher)

friend to Bart of Wolfpointe, a courier for mail and messages from Wolfpointe
enemy to Edward of Lonepine, a fish-monger and all around bully of Grass Lake region

N: 4 . W: 2 . H: 6 (does save, does not back down, not afraid)
R: 2 (packs carefully)
C: 2 (makes friends easily)

Skills: 2 Hunter . 2 Pathfinder . 2 Scout . 2 Survivalist . 2 Weather Watcher . 3 Militarist . 2 Boatcrafter . 2 Archivist . 3 Orator . 2 Grass Lake-wise

Traits: 1 Defender . 1 Leader . 1 Skinny

Belief: Guardmice must be friends to all mice

Instinct: Always lead from the side, never from the front or the rear

Gear: Light Armor (helm, bracers, and graves); Halberd; Sash/Scarf (purple)

Victor left home in Grasslake to join the Guard after hearing much of the Weasel War of winter 1149. He thought to become a grand military leader–a field marshall directing forces. He spent his initial years as an apprentice in the library of Lockhaven. Now that he has shown himself a humble servant, he is pleased to be assigned a mentor and given proper training outside Lockhaven.

I’d be fine with having a Tenderpaw, although I didn’t take any Instructor, I could move a few points around.

or you could put that duty on Luwik. He has Insturctor, you have the Skills to teach. I could shuffle a Fighter to Intructor without problem

That works as well, I missed the fact Instructor can be used like that. So whichever way you prefer is fine with me!

Go with the tenderpaw to round out the patrol.

Yeah, I meant that too. Mouse Guard is a game that doesn’t require a long, detailed backstory to have a fully fleshed-out and dynamic character. The point is, your mouse is what is one the sheet. They should be born of the moment based on their BIG’s and traits; NPC mice are there for context, and they will certainly be used. If you as the player want to develop an elaborate backstory, by all means go ahead. Just keep in mind that as GM it’s difficult to remember every detail of long backstories, and when 4 mice are in a patrol, it’s difficult enough to keep all the information on the character sheets in mind.

To be honest, I like the Google Docs approach. Just not sure how to handle dice rolling and scripting for conflicts. Any thoughts?

I’m not entirely sure what you are getting after with this belief. As it is, it seems a little vague and difficult to challenge. Could you simply cut it to, “My duty as a guardmouse is to serve all mice of the territories”? This would be very easy to challenge in a number of ways, but I don’t know if it encapsulates everything you are after in your belief or not.

As for your instinct, how about “I always try to redeem my honor as quickly as possible”.