PDFs anywhere?

So I don’t live in the US and can’t afford the shipping that’s the same price as the book so I was wondering if there were any PDFs of the rules available through official means. Ideally one day I could afford the 100 dollars but it’s too much of an investment for a system I can’t even get a feel for.

Sorry about the weird category it was the most fitting

Burning Wheel HQ have chosen to not release Burning Wheel in PDF form, aside from the core rules. You can find the ‘Hub and Spokes’ core rules PDF for free at Burning Wheel Gold: Hub and Spokes

This is technically all you need to play the game. It doesn’t incluede lifepaths, though, which is basically the ‘setting’ of the game. You can use an unofficial tool like Charred Black or such to do character burning, or create your own lifepaths. I don’t advise the creating your own yet… without a feel for the game, you’ll likely do them pretty poorly, and I don’t imagine it’d make a good game, or give you a real feel for if you like it.

Those two things won’t give you advanced sections of the game, but it’s often advised not to start with them anyway. Alternatively, you can grab the free adventure Twilight in the Duchy Verdorben ( https://www.burningwheel.com/twilight-in-the-duchy-verdorben ) which comes with premade characters. There are a some points suggesting Duel of Wits in that, though, which you’d have to use a basic roll for instead, since that’s an advanced system.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s definitely good to get a feel for a system before making an investment in it.

@Mark_Watson

’ Be good if you could maybe do a one-shot or something to try it out, don’t you think?

@Mark_Watson

’ Be real good if there was a resident veteran on these forums with a habit of running short, introductory scenarios for newbies to get a feel for the game, wouldn’t it?

@Mark_Watson

1 Like

Shame on you, @Gnosego; the board is all about clear statements not oblique hints so obscure they might only be sea mist. I’m sure @Mark_Watson will back me up on this.

“Oblique” “Obscure” – I’m a big fan of “O” words, man. I can’t help myself!

1 Like

(non-serious grumble grumble)

Things are a bit… fraught at the moment, but September might be a bit clearer, if anyone’s in an EU-adjacent timezone and wants me to run a demo online or somesuch?

Probably using Discord / Roll20 or the like, I’d guess.

2 Likes

Oh! An opportunity to obviate any of our obdurate obfuscation!

Of course, I’m a little overexposed to the system to be optimal for a newbie one-shot. But should it occur you are left with an opening to occupy, my itinerary is ordinarily accomodating.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

PDFs - Page 1 - Burning Wheel :exploding_head:

2 Likes