Phyllis and Firebrand

During a current session. I’ve used two animals that I might be bringing back again and again. We’ll have to see how much they come back into our stories. Below, I’ll display the NPC sheets I have for keeping track.

Phyllis, of Grassmeadow, mid-age, grizzled sandy brown

[b]Nature /b: 6
Running . Hiding . Foraging .

Traits (): 1 Stubborn () .
[b]Skills /b: X Other skills (/)
[b]Wises /b: 3 Grass Lake region-wise (/) .
[b]Conditions /b: Hungry/Thirsty () . Tired () . Angry () . Injured () . Sick () .

Belief To avenge my hutch, I’ve been saved their cruel fate; I should serve the corps to hunt predators
Instinct If I don’t like the smell of a rider, I’ll roll over them to get free
Goal I’ll convince mice to let me take charge of our missions, since I know best
Gear Burst of Speed: +2D to Maneuver; +1s to Feint

Other Notes:

I’m connected to the mouse territories; because, I am a member of the Grasslake militia’s mounted corps. I’ve only worked with them a short time and don’t like long scouting missions. I prefer to be called on for hunting missions; that is more glorious.

I’ll show up again when the patrol comes along through Grasslake, since the militia will send me out less often on far-away tasks.

I’d like for the Guard to convince Brim and other riders to keep me in Grasslake unless the hunt takes us toward Wolfepointe; I always like to visit Wolfepointe.

Firebrand, of Grass Meadow and Grass Lake region, mid-age, red fur

[b]Nature /b: 7
Fast Learner. Predator. Trickster.

Traits (): 1 Cruel () .
[b]Skills /b: X Other skills (/)
[b]Wises /b: 5 Grass Lake region-wise (/) . 4 Grass Meadow region-wise (/) .
[b]Conditions /b: Hungry/Thirsty () . Tired () . Angry () . Injured () . Sick () .

Belief
Instinct If food seems scarce, make a stockpile to last
Goal I’ll get fat for Winter on the pilgrimage trails of mice
Gear Snapping Jaws: Long, Useful (as spear and sword)

Other Notes:

I’m connected to the mouse territories; because, I prowl the Grass Lake region yearly. I must confront the militia quite often, so I do sometimes head eastward for easier prey. I also enjoy the Grass Meadow region for hares. I’m a constant threat.

I’ll show up again when I want to get an easy meal. I always look for ways to capture easy prey, but I do especially like to work against a cagey foe. The intellect of mice keeps me guessing.

I’d like for the Guard to challenge me. I just love a good challenge to work through.

I used the pattern of giving BIGs to make sure I was always aware to how these animals were trying to behave in the session. You’ll notice three notes in the Other Notes section. I like to use that for three things: how they are connected to the Territories, when the patrol will confront them, and what they want of the Guard when confronted. Similar to the BIGs, these three notes help me determine what sort of interaction the animal will provide.

You may notice that these two animals have been given a Trait each. As a ‘unique’ NPC, I felt it was a good way to differentiate them from the average animal.

I’ve kept the Skills empty right now, but I’ve considered whether animals might have a skill beyond their Nature. I don’t have any animals right now that I feel need a skill, but I’m keeping my mind open to it.

What have you used to keep track of animals you are using as GM?

By “What have you used to keep track of animals you are using as GM?” I guess you mean named or important animals. I generally don’t use named animals too much but when I have need of creating major villain of some sort I take the basic animal stats, tweak them a little, give any useful things like traits and BIGs and write all of this onto a character sheet. you now have an NPC sheet.

I’ve used Firebrand now twice and had a really good result. In fact, his sheet looks different now.

Firebrand, Grass Meadow and Grass Lake region, mid-age, red fur
[b]Nature /b: 6
Fast Learner. Predator. Trickster.
[b]Traits /b:
1 Cruel (x) . 1 Scarred () .
[b]Wises /b:
3 Grass Lake region-wise (/) . 2 Grass Meadow region-wise (/) . 2 Snowfoot Hare-wise (/) .
[b]Conditions /b:
Hungry/Thirsty (x) . Tired () . Angry (x) . Injured (x) . Sick () .

Belief
A fox illustrates dominance by excellent stalking of prey more than by infighting.
Instinct
If food seems scarce, make a stockpile to last
Goal
I must show a potential mate I am the best dominant male stalking Grass Meadow.
Gear
Snapping Jaws: Long, Useful (as spear and sword)
Other Notes:
I’m connected to the mouse territories; because, I prowl the Grass Lake region yearly. I must confront the militia quite often, so I do sometimes head eastward for easier prey. I also enjoy the Grass Meadow region for hares. I’m a constant threat.
I’ll show up again when I want to get an easy meal. I always look for ways to capture easy prey, but I do especially like to work against a cagey foe. The intellect of mice keeps me guessing.
I’d like for the Guard to challenge me. I just love a good challenge to work through.
In Spring 1150, was hunted by Aengus, Arledge, Dafydd riding Gullas, Phyllis, Ulva respectively with Brim riding Harold as support. The successful hunt left Firebrand blind in left eye and banished from Grass Lake and Grass Meadow regions for several generations.

It has changed due to the need for him to participate in a new session. His BIGs got some review and revision before the session began. After the session, he had gained the Scarred trait and several conditions. He is unlikely to show up again in a future session of this campaign, but I’ll keep the sheet saved until I need it again.

As for Phyllis, she also showed again along with two other hares in Grasslake. Her sheet changed very little.

Over a campaign, I’m trying to use the Parents, Mentors, Friends and Enemies as my primary NPCs. I’ve got to use sheets like those above to keep track and ensure each time they appear they are the same as previous appearances. If I lose track of the notes, it breaks up the credibility and immersion.

I’m not sure whether I’ll have another animal sheet aside from the hares. I’m still feeling out whether to create a beaver NPC who starts to agitate settlements in the North.

However, I do try to reduce the components needed. NPCs don’t need Parents, Mentors, Friends, Enemies, etc. I just try to make sure the attributes, skills, and traits are noted along with anything that identifies and characterizes them. NPCs maybe don’t need BIGs; however, I feel those are critical reminders of what really matters. That helps to keep NPCs away from scenes that don’t include them. It is a reminder for me, the GM, more than anyone else.