Please critique some BITs

Hello,

My gaming crew and I are about to kick off our first BW campaign. We’ve wrapped up Character Burning, and I’d like to solicit your input on my groups’ BITs.

The Setting is: An early ‘age of exploration’, tropical archipelago, which is in fact the lost homeland of Humans, lost for 3000 years. Information on the lost art of Enchanting may exist in this homeland.

The Situation is: The characters were crew on a small caravel (trading ship) with a nasty captain, they mutinied, and ran off to the colonial area of a different nation than their own. They still have the ship and are being hunted by the merchant family (The Perkines) who owned the ship. Meanwhile the new, local Viceroy is ambitious and trying to develop the colonial town, and consolidate and increase his local power. To top it off, the PCs have a rival ship (The Sprinter) who is often competing with them.

So here are the PCs and their BITs (They have yet to name characters, so I’ll use the player’s names). BTW, my questions/comments are in normal script:

Ryan is playing the big, socially inept, Artillerists’ Mate/Engineer (good with hands, not good with talking).
Beliefs:
Our ship would be better with weapons, I need to make or find some.
The noble (another PC is a noble bastard) doesn’t appreciate all the work I do keeping the ship afloat. (I recognize this belief needs a goal).
Exploring the archipelago will yield old knowledge to better my craft and situation.
Instincts:
Always keep my munition supplies topped up and water tight. (how does this instinct affect Resources checks to restock munitions?)
Always be ready to blow something up or burn something down.

Marty is playing a swimmer/skin diver/smuggler, he is the pilot. (he once played a half-mer in DnD that he wants to revisit… he has a couple of custom traits for swimming and holding breath):
Beliefs:
For security, we need to find more hiding spots for the ship.
Talk to other PCs about how to sink The Sprinter and then loot it on the sea floor.
I believe my hair is the source of my strength and will kill any one who tries to cut it.

Instincts:
Always have a knife in my loincloth.
I cut anyone who touches my hair.
Obviously, this is the same as the last belief… Which is the better option for this, belief or instinct?

Luke is playing a city born con man who had to run away to sea as a sailor. He also happens to be a very supremacist, religious zealot (his culture is the best and should dominate all others…):
Beliefs:
The Sprinter’s Captain’s business must be squashed; we should approach the new Viceroy for help.
I believe Ryan’s mastery of Gunpowder will help us destroy the Perkine family (the ship owners).
It is the Varkal’s (their cultural group) right to rule the new world; Death to the Asku (the other major culture).

Instincts:
Never miss an opportunity to take advantage of a lesser race.
Persuade others through lying and falsehoods wherever possible.
Never get dressed without concealing two blades.

Paul is playing the Noble Bastard who ran away to sea to become a Pirate Navigator.
Beliefs:
I want to prove my navigation skills by finding us a new hideout.
I believe Marty and I (Smuggler Pilot and Pirate Navigator) can become the greatest pirate smugglers in the archipelago, especially if we weaponize the ship.
I believe that the nobility has enslaved the world and should be brought to heel.

Instincts:
Always have a flask of wine
Always have at least one concealed knife.

So… any concerns, ideas, issues or other sundry comments? Having never run much beyond The Sword in BW, I’d love any external feedback or guidance.

Luke’s beliefs are spot on. I would like to see something more in his second belief to provide some direction, but even there he’s picking a fight with a merchant family. So good on him.

Our ship would be better with weapons, I need to make or find some.

I believe Marty and I (Smuggler Pilot and Pirate Navigator) can become the greatest pirate smugglers in the archipelago, especially if we weaponize the ship.

The noble (another PC is a noble bastard) doesn’t appreciate all the work I do keeping the ship afloat. (I recognize this belief needs a goal).

Ryan’s first and Paul’s second beliefs are similar. How about bringing some antagonism in, by altering Ryan’s second belief to something like, “Paul is a toff and has no idea how to run a ship. For the good of the crew I will oppose his ideas.”

Always keep my munition supplies topped up and water tight. (how does this instinct affect Resources checks to restock munitions?)

Ryan gets to test his resources any time supply levels are in doubt, even if he never mentioned it previously.

I believe my hair is the source of my strength and will kill any one who tries to cut it.
I cut anyone who touches my hair. Obviously, this is the same as the last belief… Which is the better option for this, belief or instinct?

I think it depends on whether you are capable of coming up with hair-threatening situations which can drive the game. Personally I’d prefer it as an instinct. (Having said that

Always be ready to blow something up or burn something down.
could clash nicely and what does he do once he loses his hair?!

Does Marty have any beliefs about the sort of ancient treasure that could be found on the sea-floor?

As long as your BITs are pointing somewhere you’re golden, basically… what you’ve got sounds great, have a fun game.

Actually, it may be more useful to turn the question back on the OP. Do you have good ideas for how you’re going to use these BITs in play?

And do your players have a firm idea what they’re going to do in pursuit of their beliefs in the first game session?

I doubt it… since we’re all total noobs :slight_smile:

What I plan on doing to kick off the first session is the following:

The PCs are hanging out in the little village they frequent when an official notice is posted by the Viceroy’s agents stating something to the effect of: “All piracy must be conducted with an official letter of marque, on sale now at the Viceroy’s palace”.

They then get word (dock gossip) that their rival ship, The Sprinter, is just leaving the docks to head to the palace to purchase just such a letter of marque.

They also hear that the Merchant Family (The Perkines) has a scion at the Palace, starting to ask questions about the PCs and their stolen ship. Added to this Ryan has a minor reputation around the colonial town docks as “Mr. Fixit”, as well as a Enmity Relationship with his brother, who happens to be loyal to the Perkine family, and has accompanied the scion that’s hunting them.

After dropping all this in their laps, I plan to sit back and watch for a while…

Okay, so it’s good when beliefs provide some direction, especially for noobs. So, I like emphatic beliefs like
“X is true! Therefore I will do Y!” These beliefs are easy to hit because the other PCs have equally emphatic beliefs. The characters’ beliefs don’t even need to conflict and there’s built in drama, because everyone thinks their shit is important now.

Some of the beliefs above sound like half-measures. “Having weapons would be nice.” “Exploring is good.” “Someday we should find some hiding spots.” I can’t see how the PCs are invested in these beliefs, so it would be hard for me to challenge them. Take your idea to send them off to the palace for a letter of mark. It’s interesting and you’ve brought in the rival ship, but I look at the belief sand see this.

GM: you must go to the palace for a letter of mark!
Ryan: Alright folks, but we have to think about weapons eventually.
Marty: well, we kinda don’t have many hiding spots yet, but I guess the sprinter will be there, cool.
Paul: yeah, that hideout thing is important. We should do that one day soon. Also, when we get done we need some weapons.
Luke: fuck yes! I need to talk to the viceroy and get his help. Plus, we can squash the Sprinter as they leave.

Luke has emphatic Beliefs that immediately come into play. You need the players to commit to their Beliefs IMHO. “we can not tackle the Sprinter until we have Weapons!” “If the Sprinter catches us in the open seas before we have a safe haven all will be lost! I must find a hiding spot now!” now the trip to the Palace is triggering things.

Just my thoughts