positioning weaponless

Is it possible to vie for a position not compatible with your current weapon?

example 1: 2 sword wielders enter into Fight! mechanics. However, one is more skilled than the other so it would benefit him for them both to have a static ob, which he can overcome but his opponent likely can not. can he say, i would like to position myself at knife range, and roll positioning for that?

example 2: a spear wielder is attacked by a sword wielder, only the spear wielder has not drawn his weapon. can the spear wielder vie for positioning with an undrawn weapon?

basically the question becomes, can you pick an arbitrary position to vie for, or do you Automatically lose positioning if your weapon is not drawn?

You may only use actions with the weapon you have positioned with. This is covered in the Fight chapter already. You always vie to get advantage with your current weapon. If you do not have a weapon drawn, you position with your hands.

what about for a bowman who is in the middle of drawing but does not yet have an arrow ready to fire? can he vie for missile range?

also, if you want to beat someone with the hilt of your sword, can you claim that as short weapons length for positioning? additionally, once positioned in close, can you roll swords to beat someone with the hilt, but for damage use the hilt IMS?

also, if you want to beat someone with the hilt of your sword, can you claim that as short weapons length for positioning? additionally, once positioned in close, can you roll swords to beat someone with the hilt, but for damage use the hilt IMS?

Yes, but he ceded advantage when he fired, so his opponent has an advantage to his positioning test.

You have a sword. Your sword has a hilt. You can position with the hilt. I assume using the hilt is taught in fencing classes.

Additionally, if you have a free hand you may position with your hands. Probably your best bet if you fancy charging or locking.

Even if you have no free hands, you can position at shortest WL with your hilt, or barring that, your feet for a kick, your forehead for a headbut, etc. Just remember that even if you do win advantage, you are positioned at shortest length and switching back to sword would mean you must cede advantage.