Pushing Players to Use Varied Actions in Conflicts

Observation from last night: I’ve noticed my players really tend to push toward “Attack, Attack, Attack” in conflicts. Any tips or ways I can put it to try and open their eyes… I think they’re in the D&D HP mindset and thinking they’re trying to hack away, but I feel there are a lot of missed story opportunities, especially since I think the maneuver and feint action descriptions are really fun to do. Tried leading by example, but wondering if some other folks had some thoughts.

I know one player is pretty math oriented, so maybe some thoughts around that. I wonder if perhaps the skills we were using just happened to be stacked toward Attack, but even with two players with swords they immediately declare the +1D to Attack because of the swords.

Thanks in advance…

Be RUTHLESS with compromises.

Throw an animal with a high nature in there and use the Defend/Attack/Maneuver recipe to caught them off guard. Their first attack will most likely be the strongest fighter so nullify that attack some, then in the Maneuver action see if you can disarm one of them.

And for a compromise give them a bad reputation as being merciless and aggressive that hinders their circle tests. And have regular town mice act fearful of them.

Edit: Just a note if everyone took high fighter skill and left their other skills low so they can kick butt just start throwing different obstacles at them. Have them have to track or research information on an enemy first.“Opps, that 2in scouting failed. The bad guy got away. Now he may go and get reinforcements.”

The game really should not be based solely on fighting, especially since you don’t get experience for killing things.(Not accusing you of running a hack and slash champaign, just making a suggestion.) So use the Four General Hazards. Fighter based characters will find that they will need to rethink how they will play their character.

1.) Use the Attack, Attack, Attack script against them, forcing them to think strategically or suffer major compromises even if they win.

2.) Write better (i.e. more interesting or more threatening) conflict goals.

3.) Use conflict types other than Fight or Fight Animal during the GM’s Turn.

Do you have an example of the conflict goals you all have been writing?