Questing Beast Reviews Miseries & Misfortunes

Hi,
Ben Milton from Questing Beast finally takes a look at M&M. I’ve waited very long for this video to come out!

1 Like

“The main problem is that I don’t know how useful it would be if you didn’t want to play this time period.” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I watched a fair amount of videos by Questing Beast and I think it is safe to say that their approach to RPGs is a bit different than yours. As far as I can tell in Questing Beast they look at games through the eyes of an OSR-player who wants to use the reviewed games to supplement their OSR game.
This is, of course, in direct contradiction to your game design philosophy that “a game can not do everything”. So I get that you are a bit frustrated to hear that phrase. I was too.

The review isn’t as benevolent as I’d like it to be, but I’m glad that some people will know of the existence of the game now, and hopefully take a look at it.

1 Like

He skips over the good stuff!

And focuses on stuff you didn’t write.

To spin this positively:

A buddy of mine here in town messaged me about it thanks to the review making him curious. I happened to have a 2nd copy of the book that I bought for a European who didn’t believe me when I said shipping was REALLY expensive and backed out of buying the copy I grabbed at GenCon. So, I hooked my friend up with that copy.

So, NOW there’s another person here who is interested and he said he’d probably be running it in a few weeks to test some things out. Hopefully I’ll be able to play in the game too, since I’ve never played M&M and I love gaming with my friend and it hasn’t happened in a really long time.

He’s been pretty consistently a 5th edition D&D player lately, so hey…

1 Like

I commented on the video something in the same spirit. I hope that people get curious about this game and what it has to offer.

1 Like

For some context about Questing Beast’s Ben Milton, Ben’s primary play groups are 10 year old kids from his D&D club. Therefore, I think Ben often gravitates toward quick and dirty systems that can be learned in minutes. Just look at Maze Rats, the first game Ben designed! Talk about streamlined.

So, was he the best person to review M&M? Probably not. (That’s why we have Adam Koebel :smile:) But Ben is passionate and open-minded to other forms of play. I think his reviews help draw attention to games because they aren’t long-winded.

That said, I wrote the below comment to help better represent what I believe Luke’s design goals are. If I got anything wrong let me know.

4 Likes

Thanks Brett! “Watchmaker-esque” is quite a compliment!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.