Question on circles, specifically testing it a second time

I’m having trouble understanding exactly how I’m supposed to use circles to find someone a second time. It’s easy to understand how to use it the first time. Oh, you need a bartender willing to buy illegal alcohol? Ok, test circles. If you failed you’ve had a troubled past with the man and it’s affecting his view of you now.

It’s not so easy to understand why to use it again. When should I use circles again? You know the bartender will likely be at The Bridge, his bar, so what could possibly make you test circles? Would it be like if they wanted to do a new scheme with him they would test circles at the old obstacle with a 1D advantage? If so what does the enmity clause signify in this case? If the roll failed would it be that he probably won’t want to do the plan and if they need to convince him, but if they succeeded he would agree to the plan with little hesitation? This seems right, but it also seems like it is stepping away from circles inteded purpose, so I want to make sure I’m right.

side note 1: Now that the other players know the character would they be able to help with the circles roll, or would they only be able to help if they were able to help with the first test?

side note 2: Fictionally the first roll is you asking around, or hanging out in local hotspots, but what about the second time? Would it always just be, I guess I go to where I know the npc usually is?

You’re making the test to see if he’s in the mood for going along with the current scheme, exactly as guessed.

The emnity clause signifies new difficulties in your relationship, so that in order to get Barkeep onboard, the players will, at least, need to roll (it may require DoW or a series of tests or some other thing).

If the test’s original intent was clear, or you feel like shunting them straight to the character do so: LiR or Say Yes are good tools; it may be that what the party now want is something you figure “yeah, you can talk to Barkeep for, but you’ll need to persuade them that it’s in their best interests”, thus cutting through the Circles test to the meat of the fun.

Side answer 1: Only if they could help with the first test. Only “City People” can help make sure that someone’s tab hasn’t run out, and only members of the military keep abreast of its internal politics.
Side answer 2: Firstly, sometimes the original roll was “does this person chance across us” or “do I know one of the mob attacking me personally”; secondly, yes or no, depending on fiction. It could even be “I send the noble Lord Farquad a letter, inviting him to dine with me in a week(task, intent needs clarification).” Or “I’m going to Barkeep’s tavern (task), hopefully my mustachioed friend is still happy to fence what I’ve stolen (intent)”. Bear in mind that the task, in the fiction, can vary massively for Circles.

You’re assuming the bartender’s likely at his bar. But, that’s not necessarily so.

GM: “Test circles. The failure result is that your hear someone screaming “Fire! Fire!” and you see a plume of dark smoke off in the direction of the bar.”

Unless situations have changed, I usually just Let It Ride.

Thanks guys, This all makes sense. Reading your comments helped me, especially you, “Why”.

Somewhat related question, those that helps someone that make a circle test, do they also get to add them to their circles or?

By the rules, only the testing player adds a newly circled NPC to his contacts. (But remember, you can only name a contact if you either exceed the obstacle of the circles test or have the Enmity Clause invoked.)