Questions/Concerns before our second mission

So I’ve had Mouse Guard since it came out, but only just recently started a game of it. We took one session to make characters (since, as we’re all old RPers, everyone was more interested in making their own characters than using the pregens) and played one mission the next week, which WAS a pregen (Deliver the Mail). We’re all still getting used to how the game works, so there were a few hiccups.

One big thing is the GM’s Turn / Player’s Turn structure which is foreign to us all. Is it correct that during the GM’s Turn I’m not supposed to let the players make any tests that aren’t directly related to the mission?

Another question: are Conditions applied during/after Conflicts automatically at all? Can they be applied as part of a compromise?

Also related to Conflicts, are there any hard limitations on helping your teammates? Basically, in this patrol of 3 mice, they were all getting 2 helping dice (one from each teammate) for every action.

Mmm… those are the big questions on my mind right now. I’d appreciate any input I can get! Also, I know these kinds of questions have probably been asked a lot, so I don’t mind if anyone just points me in a better direction rater than answering.
Thanks!

Right. Conversely, in the Player’s Turn, you can’t tell them to make any tests; they have freedom to do whatever, although the GM does tell them which test to make for the action, and sets the difficulty.

Another question: are Conditions applied during/after Conflicts automatically at all? Can they be applied as part of a compromise?

Yes, they can be applied as part of a compromise. A minor compromise can apply a condition. It’s not automatic.

Also related to Conflicts, are there any hard limitations on helping your teammates? Basically, in this patrol of 3 mice, they were all getting 2 helping dice (one from each teammate) for every action.

Each mouse should choose an action, and test accordingly, and then give helping dice accordingly.

I think Carpe answered pretty well, but I’ll toss my two cents in, also.

It’s your call, but you shouldn’t be allowing people to buy provisions for the trip, or get boats or whatnot, after they know the mission. They have to use what they have. Now, things may emerge during play that could have a bearing on things, but don’t seem like they’re directly related. It’s your call to make, but don’t let them make “preparatory” checks for things before setting out.

As Carpe said, yes, they can be. In our games, we used this often. Injured was one that seemed to come up often, and not only for a minor compromise (it’s not good to be Injured!).

The book answers this quite clearly. There are two conditions to helping: 1) the helper says what he’s using to help and must describe to the group’s (GM’s?) satisfaction how his actions are helpful, and 2) the player being helped must accept the help. (Obviously, the ability being used to help must be related to the main test.) The person being helped is free to turn down help dice. The most common scenario is the one you wrote; namely that you have the other mice helping on nearly every roll, barring Beliefs/Goals/Instincts stopping them or what-have-you.