Questions: Mice and the Domestic Animal

One thing that I’m uncertain about is how far have mice proceeded in domesticating various animals. The topic is complicated by the fact that there are a variety of interpretations of the mouse universe. Only the mice and the weasels are presented as full tool makers with a sophisticated technical society and the markers we generally associate with sapience, but there are some indications that the mice of Mouse Guard inhabit a more stereotypical world of anthropomorphic animals where not only can every thing talk and be spoken to, but everything has more or less full intelligence. That is to say, not only are mice much more intelligent than their real world counterparts, but so is basically everything.

I’ve really only read the first series of comics and seen the pictures in the 2e rulebook, but I know several have come out since then.

My questions are as follows:

1. What creatures have mice canonically domesticated?

2. What creatures have mice semi-canonically domesticated, in that the story in which the example of domestication appears belongs to a ‘tall tale’ and arguably holds a canonical position similar to Marvel or DC comics that occur in ‘alternate universes’ or ‘alternate timelines’ or which otherwise require a disclaimer?

3. When mice are shown using an animal as a mount or otherwise in a manner humans would use a domestic animal, which examples would you consider domestication of a creature with basically animal intelligence and which are a partnership between sentient near-peer species?

4. When mice are shown in the comics using an animal as a mount, in which cases would you consider this a one off relationship, and not typical of the state of mouse technology or mouse relationships with the species as a whole? For example, I recall a picture of a crow used as a mount by a mouse. Is this a rare one off relationship worthy of comment as remarkable, or something widespread?

5. Which creatures, not mentioned above, that presumably live in the mouse territories would you consider viable candidates for domestication based on typical desirable traits in a domestic animal - such as social-able, intelligent, non-aggressive, confinable, rapidly maturation, and does not see mice as a potential food source? This last one proves to be a pretty high burden, as almost everything will if given the opportunity eat mice.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.