Required Traits during Character Burning

Hi!

I did my first two character burning with two friends and in both case I was unsure of one detail.

For skills, it was very clear that the first skill in each lifepath was required. It was also clear that if you took one lifepath several times, you could be required to take the second, third, etc. It was also very clear that after that, any leftover skill points could be spent freely on the skill list provided by all the lifepaths and that general skill points could be used outside of that selection to open new skills.

However, for traits I can’t really be sure. It is clear that the first trait of each lifepath must be purchased using a trait point.

But… let’s say my player was Born Noble and took three additional lifepath. The traits that were not spent on the required first traits of each, is the player free to spend them on any trait in the book? Or must they be spent freely on other traits in the trait list provided by his lifepath first?

Because the book both states:

• If a player already has all of the traits listed, the points on the path are free of requirements.
  • If a lifepath is listed with a “1 pt:—” notation, that indicates there is no requirement for this path: One point is granted to be spent at the player’s discretion.

I can provide concrete examples if required.

I don’t have my book on me, but if I recall correctly, it’s identical to skills. Pick path, buy the required trait (if any), then spend excess points as you wish from the trait section of the book (provided that you meet the requirements). Any trait listed on any of your lifepaths costs 1 point to acquire. Otherwise, it has a cost listed in the ‘Traits’ section.

Edit: page 84 under ‘Skills and Traits’ : “The first skill and trait of each path is required. The others are optional.”

Pg 89 “There are two types of traits available for purchase in character burning: lifepath traits and special traits. Lifepath traits are listed in the individual lifepaths and are purchased in a similar manner to skills. Special traits are traits purchased using extra traits not spent on the lifepath traits. They are selected from the character stock special trait list or the general trait list.”

"Like skills, the first trait on each path is required. The player must purchase this trait. It costs 1 point. If the character already has this trait from a previous path, the next trait listed must be purchased (and so on). If a player has all the traits listed, the points on the path are free of requirements. If a lifepath is listed with no points or requirements, no trait points are gained on that path. If a lifepath is listed with a “1 pt: -” notation, that indicates there is no requirement for this path: One point is granted to be spent at the players discretion… "

" Lifepath traits cost one trait point to purchase-no matter what their cost would be in the general or special list."

1 Like
  • You must spend one trait point to buy the first trait on each of your LPs.

• You MAY buy any other trait on your LPs for 1 point each.

• You MAY buy traits from the general list for their listed cost.

• If taking an LP multiple times, the second trait will count as the first, etc. Like skills.

If the Faithful trait appears on any of your LPs, it costs 1 point to purchase. If it does not, it costs 5 points. If it appears first on one of your LPs, you MUST spend 1 point to purchase it. If it does not appear first on one of your LPs, you have no obligation to purchase it. If it gets shunted to first position by repeatedly taking an LP, you MUST spend 1 point to purchase it.

If an LP has “–” in the trait section, there are no traits on the list, that’s all it means.

Does that clear things up? I’ll proof an example, if you’d like.

3 Likes

Yes! It’s very clear. Seems like we did things the right way! Thank you!

1 Like

Whoo! Happy to help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.