Riding Hares

As far as vids go, it’s one of the very best… but it cuts so much!

When I first saw that con sketch that you did with the mouse riding the rabbit/hare I was “that might not be canon but it should be”. The proportions between the two work so amazingly well. Great call writing them in!

As for rules, mounts strike me as clearly appropriate equipment for Winter travel, maybe the rest of the year too if you can get them. I don’t know how David wrote it but I’d imagine they are nasty expensive to maintain in terms of resources (be it food, support staff, diplomacy, trade for services), so the Guard would only have just enough for the few critcal patrols fielded in the Winter. Winter travel is scary tough in the rules, that would make these mounts pretty much critical to attempting the trips.

EDIT: BTW David I know the proportions are a little different, I like yours better, but am I crazy looking at that and having this Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back | Wookieepedia | Fandom pop into my head. :wink:

The MG RPG mentions hares being in it for the food. I can totally see a hare patrol setting out, with each wee saddle surrounded by a cluster of pots - honey, acorn butter and barley oil.

Dave has said that a inch on the map is about a day’s travel for a mouse. I’d imagine a hare could get 3-5x farther?

(I know all about the speed of plot, but sometimes players and GMs just like having a number tossed onto the table.)

My proposal.

Hare Lancer

Scale is less effective nearest average scale of mouse and hare.
Effective Scale / Opponent Scale
5 / 1-2
4 / 3-6
5 / 7 +

Combine as a Team
If disposition drops to 40% you must dismount and fight with an alternate weapon. The hare still helps until 20%.
If disposition drops to 20% you are thrown off and mount flees. Check to not lose disposition from fall.

Lance (mounted only)
Length: Spear +1
+1D vs Maneuver against non-ranged weapons except Lance.
+2D vs Defend.

Hare loses Nature. 1 on failed feint and attack actions. 2 if it loses the conflict.

Lancer could be a separate skill.

Fixed! heh heh!

Given the Star Wars references already found within both Fall and Winter comics I have to say that the mice taking off on Hares in the dead of winter SCREAMS Hoth to me. Cannot wait to read issue 6 of Winter and then get my hands on the hardcover edition of Winter.

As far as dealing with riding hares in the game if I ever use them it will be pretty straight forward and still fall within the rules as they are and keep it more within the narrative when dealing with conflicts instead of coming up with a complete formula on how to deal with it.