Riding Hares

The rpg mentions the fact that hares are sapient and sometimes ridden by mouse guards. As this hasn’t happened in the comics yet, and a few folks might not have encountered the following image on David Petersen’s blog, I thought it’d be cool to share it for inspirational purposes:

Edit: No direct image linking from the blogsite, sadly.

The images are halfway down the following blog page:
http://davidpetersen.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html

cheers!
Colin

Excellent!

And at the bottom of the page are very cool pics of Mouse Fett and Indiana Mouse - ideal inspiration for Mouse Guard Hacks :slight_smile:

will happen soonish:
Though there won’t be a lot of explination as to why or how in the issue. It will assume that it’s just a given.

Beautiful and cool. Thanks for sharing this with us, David. :slight_smile:

Colin

Awesome pic!

I have to say that hare in the front looks a little like, “You want me to what, now? Screw that!”

Nice partisan.

That is an amazing pic! Great job as always David!

My read is more “Oh, it’s ON!”

A new town has sprung up far too close to the scent border for Gwendolyn’s liking. It’s been a harsh winter and a tree has fallen across the border creating a breach, and wolves are approaching. Patrols have been sent to evacuate the town and re-strengthen the border, there simply isn’t enough time. The wolves are getting closer…

’ “Forward, the Mouse Brigade!”
Was there a mouse dismay’d?
Not tho’ the guard knew
Someone had blunder’d:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred. ’

Ok, off to write out some obstacles and do some tinkering while listening to Iron Maiden’s “The Trooper” now. :wink:

droooooooooooooooooooooool

Is a mouse riding a hare the size of a mouse, or the size of a hare, for the purposes of the Natural Order scale?

Is grabbing your mousey axe, rolling some Loremouse dice, and mounting up on a hopper one of those special ways a mouse can take on beasts that would otherwise outclass it by 2 or more steps?

Maybe this is in the book and I’m glossing over it?

No rules for any of this in the book. That comic wasn’t even written when we were doing the game.

I can’t think of a game where I’d feel better about winging it than Mouse Guard, so no worries.

Hmm, that’s a good question. I would rule that that others animals count for more then one “mouse” in the army rules. So instead of needing 100 mice to kill a wolf (or however many, don’t have my book on me) you could get by with 50 mice and 10 rabbits. Or something along the lines.

Mind you, animals never go against their Nature, so getting 10 rabbits to help fight a wolf would be almost impossible.

–Victor

That’s Awesome, consider it stolen. Furthermore props for being a Maiden fan Up the Irons!

a lone wolf who stumbles upon occupied warrens is in serious danger… at least in the real world. Rabbits can be rather dangerous, especially in numbers.

Think Watership Down… (if you don’t know WD, go, find it in the library… it’s exquisite… both the book and movie.)

“Come back! Come back and fight! Dogs aren’t dangerous!”

I watched water ship down when I was younger. All I remember is that it was sad and boring. Maybe I need to give it another chance now that I’ve grown up. Kinda. Still plays games.

To bring this back to MG, are there cases of mice working with other animals, other then simply riding hares?

Victor

Read it, rather than watch it. Lots of really good writing, tho’ be prepared to look up a bunch of words; it’s in dialectical UK english.

The book is amazing and the movie is classic animation at it finest. You will never see something as artistically pleasing to the eye as that movie. The artwork, the voice acting, the music and the adaptation are spectacular. And I would shame anyone who would think otherwise.