Simultaneous Tests

The Patrol I’m game mastering wants to go to Walnutpeck from Gilpledge because they think a lost patrol went that way. They also want to look for traces of a lost patrol and if they find traces they will abort the journey to Walnutpeck. Also they want to avoid the weasels on the other side of the border. They start at the border and it’s Player’s Turn.

I then would demand three checks to be spent (everybody agree), one for finding the way to Walnutpeck (Pathfinder), one for scouting for traces of the patrol (Scout) and one for avoiding the weasels (Scout). The problem here is that I thought it was easiest and most efficient to take one rol at a time and take the roll that most probably will conflict with the other actions first, avoiding the weasels. If the patrol fail here and the weasels discover them they won’t get long on the journey and won’t do much of the tracking of the lost patrol before they end up in a fight with a weasel patrol.

I would say that all three checks would be spent since they have started the journey and the tracking otherwise there would be no avoiding of weasel but since they get interrupted that soon they won’t get any pass- och fail-markings on their skills (except the one avoiding the weasels). As I see it the pass-/fail-markings symbolize experience and two actions out of three won’t generate any much experience.

A player argues that if your check is spent then you roll and get a marking for pass or fail regardless of if the mouse in the game world has spent any relevant time enough to get the experience.

How would you handle this a little complex situation?

When we discussed this we came up with a non-simultaneous solution. Instead of pathfinding all the way and tracking all the way and avoiding weasels all the way one could do the journey in three parts.

In the first part one player spends a check and chooses a skill that goes with journeying (Pathfinder), tracking (Scout) or avoiding weasels (Scout). If the other patrol members want to help they have to help with skills in a way that the final group of skills can represent traveling, tracking and aviding (Pathfinding, Scout and Scout). If this roll fail the Players get to choose, since it’s Player’s Turn in what kind it fails, do they lose track of the road or do they not find any tracks of the patrol or do they get discovered by weasels. If the roll passes then we repeat this for the second part of the journey and if that passes then we do the final part of the journey.

What do you think of this solution?

Am I demanding to much from the players/characters? Should it be enough with one Check/roll to get from Gilpledge to Walnutpeck while avoiding the weasels while searching for traces of the lost patrol? Two Checks/rolls?

One test, definitely, with the others helping. See p. 90 “Fun Once! Let’s Not Do It Again” for more.

What needs to happen here is table chatter to determine what the test will be. From what you described, though, it sounds like the real task here is to find the patrol. The specifics (going to Walnutpeck, looking for weasels) are not terribly important, and I think you’re getting hung up on them.

The Weasels should be an Animal twist thrown in as the result of a failed roll.

If the players fail the Scout test to find signs of the lost patrol, you introduce a twist that they stumble on signs that weasels are close.

Pathfinder test isn’t to find Walnutpeck, but to find Walnutpeck without condition.

The Scout test is for finding the patrol. As Thor said, if they fail that test, the weasels are an obvious twist.

Remember, keep it simple!

Good points, thanks - all of you.